Kizashi lost pickup and AC/HVAC failed together Delhi, India

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
mahash

Dear all,

I have a Kizashi CVT and we recently got incessant rains in New Delhi, India.
Nothing unusual but while i was driving and crossed a couple of puddles (long and short), following happened all-together
1) The AC stopped working (the display completely went out) - blanked!
2) The gear shift indicator showing D, N, P, R went blank
3) The car completely lost its pick - it took a sustained accelerator push of 5 seconds for the RPM to rev upto 4k to 5k.
4) The engine did not stop running though and showed rev of under 1k - it took 5-10 seconds for the car to start moving after stopping
5) Error popped up - "Service Start System" and "Hill Hold Disable"
6) the same with Reverse gear - 0 pickup and the reverse lights doesnt glow while reversing
7) Once the lever is taken to P position, it gets stuck there and you need to press the "Shift lock release" to get it back to D, R or N
8) The car parking sensor fitted as a part of Suzuki additional accessory stopped working
9) All other electronics working fine e.g. HU, Wiper, car lights, indicators, power windows, central locking

Several attempts by local dealers on the way out of Delhi failed to restore the car.
- They blow dried all possible couplers
- Checked all fuses and relays
- Disconnected the battery and re-connected it - this got the AC display back but it was in a hung state - the blower and AC compressor did not work.

The SDT (probably Suzuki Diagnostic Kit) showed HVAC failure but the service agency folks in a smaller town were unsure what and where exactly was the problem.
They mentioned it might be the BCM - Body control module.

I am back in Delhi by avoiding all possible includes and underpasses coz if the car breaks at an incline OR even in front of the speed breaker, it cant cross it. It needs to build a momentum!

Its at the main dealership and the interesting bit is that suzuki has asked the dealer to ONLY work under supervision and not dismantle the car. Their teams would be arriving to inspect. None seen in any of the Kizashi's they've received with issues.

Its unsure at this time whether the RCA is due to water OR a coincidental electronic issue at that time.

Anyone ever ran into this, anywhere?

A bit disheartened frankly - the car's just 6 months old and ran beautifully and its pick-up was its distinct characteristic. :((((

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone and how can this be escalated within Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki India Pvt. Ltd. to ensure that this doesnt happen again. Coz come what may, this baby cannot be repaired or fixed if godforbidding one gets stuck outside a major city!

Thanks for reading and responding in advance!

SM
Ronzuki

At only 6 months old and ALL of those catastrophic failures at one time, I'd be pushing hard for the dealer (and Suzuki) to take that car back and give you title to another brand new one. The mere fact that Suzuki corporate doesn't want anyone working on the car unsupervised has bad (for you) written all over it. Electrical gremlins like those, in a car as technologically advanced as these things are, will probably never be fully diagnosed or completely eliminated. They'll have the car more than you will attempting to sort all the problems out.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
mahash

Wow, me being optimistic was hoping otherwise. Phew...sigh....
Thanks for responding "Ron" for the response.

But i was thinking that the OEM getting involved directly and the dealer not trying stuff on his own was a "Good news". Dint think it otherwise though.
What makes you believe that my friend? Experience?

Thanks, SM
murcod

Perhaps the dealer doesn't have a good reputation with Suzuki for their fault finding abilities? That also might be why they haven't been able to fix it.

It certainly sounds like water has got into some components and caused a major electrical failure.
David
Ronzuki

Read some of the lengthy, on-going, posts on this forum alone from folks who have had on-gong issues they're fed up with. And yes, I've had a couple vehicles in my day that were actually turned in to lemons by dealers hopin' and pokin' trying to solve one issue and injecting many more. Eventually, one gets tired of the run-around and dumps the headache. Just trying to offer up some advice to save you some head-ache, my friend. It's a new car you paid good $$$ for. Auto mechanics and electronics are not a great combination. If the 'puter doesn't tell most modern day mechanics what sensor or module to replace, they don't have a clue. We'll see how your situation plays out...hopefully you will be back in the drivers seat quickly.
Ron

mahash

Thanks David and Ron!

Appreciate your comments and advice and i totally understand.
I spoke to the Territory service manager from Maruti who markets and import Suzuki into India and he's circled back with their QA team to get additional inputs and would be getting back to me by tomorrow evening.

Ron, about requesting a replacement car, wow advice and i have "bookmarked" it :)

Jokes apart, i have emphasized on a root Cause analysis of the issue instead of a simple part replacement if that's what its going to be and that this is not of a recurring nature. Else replace the car given its short age and $$$ price.

Whatever comes out of it, i'll keep all posted.

Shekhar
mahash

Friends, I have good news for the worried souls!

What?
- The car is fixed!
- I have an RCA (Root cause analysis) from the Maruti Suzuki themselves
- The issue is NOT due to the car going into a half/one foot of water OR rains or any manufacturing issue

RCA:
- The major issue highlighted in the thread subject was due to a 10Amp fuse blowing up
- This specific fuse is under/behind the glove box (left side for Right hand driven cars as mine in India)
- The post-purchase dealer fitted parking sensor and camera system of the car was the cause

Details:
- The parking sensor wire clip that holds them fastened together broke loose the cables which ended up hanging/touching the left exhaust
- 3 wires in total got melted, burst and caused a short circuit blowing up the 10Amp fuse mentioned above
- The fuse primarily controls the HVAC and transmission and the issue CAN be replicated
- Replacing the fuse instantly fixed the car as it was before

How?
I believe that a few weeks back, a motor-cycle guy bumped into me from behind on the left side of the car. I felt the thud but no major harm done visibly.
Just 2-3 days before i ran into this issue, i suddenly recalled that the parking sensor started giving false information e.g. "STOP" when there was nothing behind while reversing
while the car passed the water puddles OR just sheer coincidence, the wires that may have been burnt shorted out causing the fuse to blow.
To top it up, my mom told me that while she sat in the car the morning of the incident, she felt something was burning but....(toing moment i guess :)

I hope the above provides respite to all who have read and got worried!

I am driving the car and its Sweet Riding!

Best, Shekhar
murcod

Nice to know that it wasn't a fault caused by Suzuki during manufacture. :)
David
WESHOOT2

Ah, fixed!
Ronzuki

Good deal! Turns out there was a bit more to the story leading up to the eventual failure.
Ron