New Tire Suggestions

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
bootymac

Ronzuki wrote:
bootymac wrote:Just thought I'd share this for anyone that's interested. It's Consumer Report's test results for UHP all season tires
I wouldn't wipe my butt with anything CR has to say.
Why?
SamirD

LPSISRL wrote:Since I started this thread and it's all about me... ;-)
I'm leaning towards either the Continental ContiProContact or the or PureContacts with EcoPlus. I don't know if the fuel savings and longer treadwear over time will offset the higher cost. However, I like the AA traction rating of the ProContacts over the A rating of the PureContacts. Thoughts? Does one know of a better tire at the same price point?
It depends on what you really want out of a tire--long life, quiet, traction, wet traction, winter traction, price? You'll gain in some and lose in others no matter which way you go, but you can always find a tire that meets what's important to you.

That being said, you need to figure out what you want and then find the tire that matches those specs.

My own personal specs is raw performance, with matching performance in the wet over the life of the tire (5000 or 50,000mi, I don't care, but consistent), and price. There's always an upper limit for me, but I try to get the most bang for the buck. And I try to remind myself that if I can save myself from even one incident from better tires, it's worth even up to $100 extra per tire (with a $500 deductible)--something to keep in mind when thinking about price. ;)
SamirD

bootymac wrote:Just thought I'd share this for anyone that's interested. It's Consumer Report's test results for UHP all season tires
Interesting how Bridgestone is so far down on the list. I can't believe Michelin or Goodyear is the top ranking. Yes, their top tier tires are good, but nothing special that other brands' top tier can't compete with. I wonder what size and car they were testing with? That can make a HUGE difference.
smsmart

Does anyone have any experience with Michelins? I'm thinking about getting either the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or the Primacy MXM4's.
boman

SamirD wrote:Interesting how Bridgestone is so far down on the list. I can't believe Michelin or Goodyear is the top ranking. Yes, their top tier tires are good, but nothing special that other brands' top tier can't compete with. I wonder what size and car they were testing with? That can make a HUGE difference.
IIRC, Bridgestone, and Firestone do not participate in any tyre tests. If you want to compare their products, then you have to go buy them off the shelf. Other tyre firms, such as Goodyear, make special batches of tyres for people to test. Usually nothing like what you buy. i.e.: quieter, superb grip in all conditions.
KuroNekko

boman wrote:
SamirD wrote:Interesting how Bridgestone is so far down on the list. I can't believe Michelin or Goodyear is the top ranking. Yes, their top tier tires are good, but nothing special that other brands' top tier can't compete with. I wonder what size and car they were testing with? That can make a HUGE difference.
IIRC, Bridgestone, and Firestone do not participate in any tyre tests. If you want to compare their products, then you have to go buy them off the shelf. Other tyre firms, such as Goodyear, make special batches of tyres for people to test. Usually nothing like what you buy. i.e.: quieter, superb grip in all conditions.
That's why publications like Consumer Reports are unique. They don't take what's offered in promos or sponsored comparison tests. They buy just like a consumer and then independently test. They are about the only publication that actually owns the vehicles, tires, or whatever they test so they have little bias from advertising and promos unlike other publications.
That being said, CR still has their favoritism and antics that annoy people.

I'm not sure how Tirerack.com tests their tires, but given they are an online tire store, they can test them how they please without supply issues.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
twoqttsdad

smsmart
Does anyone have any experience with Michelins? I'm thinking about getting either the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or the Primacy MXM4's.
I would go for the Pilots Sports A/S for the all season performance, but if all I wanted was a quiet long lasting tire, the MXM4's would be my choice.

Just my two cents.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
LPSISRL

OK, pulled the trigger today on some Continental PureContacts with EcoPlus from tirerack.com. Set me back just over $700 plus what the installer will charge. Road hazard comes with it. Not sure how much they'll hit me for the TPMS work, though. I'll let everyone know how I like time once they are installed.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
twoqttsdad

Kinda neat how Continental has the DWS molded in the shoulder and using them as wear indicators.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
ipaqxman

LPSISRL wrote:OK, pulled the trigger today on some Continental PureContacts with EcoPlus from tirerack.com. Set me back just over $700 plus what the installer will charge. Road hazard comes with it. Not sure how much they'll hit me for the TPMS work, though. I'll let everyone know how I like time once they are installed.
Argh... There was a 70 manufacturer rebate that ended on 4/5... I bought the same set recently.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD