The Rockford Fosgate 'Sound'

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
SamirD

murcod wrote:The big problem IMHO is there was not much thought put into the upgrade - probably little to no involvement with Suzuki Japan. The stock RF head unit feeds low level signals (ie. RCA type signals like the Kenwood has outputs for) to the RF amp. The problem is there are propriety plugs used to do this (i.e. the RF head unit doesn't use the generic RCA plugs like the Kenwood has for pre amplifier outputs - the RCAs.)

Basically, to be done properly there should have been a special wiring loom produced and supplied with the Kenwood Navi upgrade kit. That should have formed an interface between the Kenwood RCA outputs for the different channels and the factory wiring loom that feeds the RF amplifier.

They've instead "done it on the cheap" by using an off the shelf line level converter that simply reduces the amplified speaker outputs of the Kenwood to a level the RF amp can work with. "Minority" (user on here) has already proven you can remove the line level converter and wire directly to the RF amp using a head unit's pre amplifier outputs. ;) http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... +gps#p9263 <- there are even pictures on how to do it in that thread.

Using a line level converter is undesirable as it will affect the sound quality (eg. introduce noise, distortion, affect frequency response.) This is due to the audio signal being amplified by the head unit's internal amplifier, only then to be reduced in power by the line level converter (to roughly the level it was before the head unit's internal amplifier) and then amplified again by the RF amp. That's why decent quality aftermarket head units have the line level RCA outputs to bypass the head unit's amplifier.
But knowing all this, why would RF still recommend that the Kenwood's RCA outputs not be used? That's the part that stumps me.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:Image

Thank you so much! I'm going to check my subwoofer phase as I think it's reversed.
murcod

SamirD wrote:But knowing all this, why would RF still recommend that the Kenwood's RCA outputs not be used? That's the part that stumps me.
Most likely because that's how Suzuki decided to do it. In all honesty, they probably haven't even looked into it too far and probably don't want to open "a can of worms" by telling you it would be better hooked up to the RCA's.
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:Most likely because that's how Suzuki decided to do it. In all honesty, they probably haven't even looked into it too far and probably don't want to open "a can of worms" by telling you it would be better hooked up to the RCA's.
Makes sense.

I forgot to check the phase tonight. :(
SamirD

Phase was set to reverse. Changed it and the whole system sounded a lot more unified. 8-)
peezi

I don't have the navigation system in my car, in fact that's the only option I don't have in my car, and I think the existing RF stereo sounds great, amazing bass. Best system I've ever had in a car. Now, that is coming from someone who drove a 98' TJ for over 300k miles over the last 15 years, so perhaps I don't know what good sound 'sounds' like!
John PZ
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD
SamirD

So when you change the battery, all of these settings that make the RF system sound right go away. :(

Here's what stock setup came up as (from memory, so I may have missed something):
subwoofer phase reversed, crossover at 50hz
front speaker crossover at 220hz
rear speaker crossover at the lowest setting to the left before being completely through
speaker width set to standard
loudness on
eq set to a setting that starts with s

I'm going to note what makes the system sound good again and post it here for reference. It's a pain to set everything back, but without it the system sounds terrible.
wobki

i wonder how my car sounds compared to a RF equipped car now. I have a 12" sub and a new headunit but all the other speakers are stock. it sounds pretty fantastic.
KuroNekko

wobki wrote:i wonder how my car sounds compared to a RF equipped car now. I have a 12" sub and a new headunit but all the other speakers are stock. it sounds pretty fantastic.
Your stereo system may be louder, but not better. The Rockford Fosgate system came with a digital amplifier in the trunk with DSP tuning. Large subs don't improve the sound much at all and simply make the bass deeper and stronger so it's something you feel more than listen to, IMO.

Here's more info on the RF system:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products ... 13-kizashi
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
wobki

my head unit has an external amp. and my base kizashi still has rf speakers. when i pulled the door panels the speakers are marked RF