Winter Tire Pressure

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
BlackK

Hi all,
Hi have downsized my rims for winter going from 18" to 16" with winter tires. Now I'm wondering about tire pressure with the winters considering the wider sidewall - I can't see pumping these up to 38 lbs like the summer / all seasons that come on the 18" rims that came on the car. Anyone have any suggestions?
I will say this - with 32 lbs all around on the winters, they look flat (especially the fronts)
Ronzuki

I wouldn't run anything less than the recommended 38 lbs. (as long as that doesn't exceed tire's max pressure). If it does, you've purchase the wrong tire for the car. The question is, should you be putting more than 38lbs. in them.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
BlackK

Thanks for the feedback -
I brought them up to 38 lbs front and 36 back and the ride is much better - max on the tires is 44 lbs. I always thought you should under inflate winters a bit to provide better traction and a little more tread surface on the road - not the case for this car. thanks again
Ronzuki

Two schools of thought on that as far as winter and snow goes...less pressure, will cause a tendency for floating on top of snow (or sand). If the snow is the optimal consistency that you can actually gain traction, and, you're NOT driving on the road, then great. Otherwise, not a safe idea under-inflating tires for on-pavement driving. Conversely, higher pressure, slightly taller tire, harder tire helps tire dig down to terra-firma. Studded snows, you'd want the latter for sure as long as you're not exceeding tire mfg's max pressure. I keep all my tires pumped up to the same operating pressures year-round.

The only time I ever lower tire pressure for larger contact patch is when I'm off-roading, and then, it's extreme under-inflation. E-rated tires (stiff side-walls) on my 2800 lb Samurai air'd-down to @10psi. I pump them back up to 28 psi for the tow home then. When those tires were new, 0psi was perfect for the type of non-muddy off-roading I prefer. Now that they're much older, and very much abused, I need 10-12psi in them to keep them seated on the rims.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)