Kizashi Awd

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Vthoma11

Hello I have a question about the kizashi awd. I recently purchased a 2011 sls awd, I know the awd is activated by the push of a button however I was reading an article on autobytel and they claim it also has a full time awd setting if you want instead of using the auto awd system can anyone validate this and tell me how to use that setting? Here is the link to the article I saw. http://www.autobytel.com/wagons/car-buy ... -112785/4/
jimmerz

push the button, turn on the AWD and leave it on...lol
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!
Moto
Site Admin

SX4 has a locking button that effectively turns off the traction control and sends power to all 4 wheels. As far as I know the Kizashi never had it.

[youtube][/youtube]

From everything I have seen you are best to just leave the ESP on in suzukis.

If you turn your traction control off you would probably get the same effect. I don't recommend unless you goal is to go do donuts in a parking lot.
KuroNekko

Original Poster,

You already posted the same question in the "Performance" section where others, including myself, have replied.

Anyhow, here it is again:

First of all, that article is WRONG. In fact, it has quite a few errors in it about both cars, especially in the discussion of their AWD systems.

The Kizashi's AWD system is what you call a selective Full-Time AWD. It's selective because it is button activated. It is a Full-time AWD because it is FWD-biased and will send power to the rear wheels when slip is detected or when sensors activate the AWD. By default, it is FWD. Most AWD systems work like this, but are not button-activated. Also, the Kizashi DOES NOT have a locking feature. That is simply wrong.

Also, the article is wrong about Subaru' AWD system. That is the other type of AWD called Permanent AWD. This differs from Full-time because it's not fully FWD biased. Subaru's AWD system always has some power going to all wheels. Not the case with Full-time AWD, which is activated by wheel slippage or as needed. Permanent AWD is also always on.

The article is wrong about Subaru's AWD system because power is NOT 50 front, 50 rear. It actually varies based on conditions, but the bias varies from year to year, model to model. For the base Impreza, it's probably closer to 70~80% front and 30~20% rear by default. Only the top-of-the-line STI model has a controller to adjust the power balance between front and rear.
Despite the fact the Subaru's AWD system is also FWD-biased, it's not ever completely FWD. There is always some power going to every wheel. That's the main difference.

I like that article, but it's blatantly wrong on a few things and rather unfair in the comparison. They compared a base model Impreza with a manual to a CVT Kizashi Sport GTS AWD. Not really comparable in my book. I've owned an Impreza for about 10 years and can attest to its excellence. It's a very good car.

You should read the other replies in the "Performance" section if you want more info or replies.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Moto wrote:SX4 has a locking button that effectively turns off the traction control and sends power to all 4 wheels. As far as I know the Kizashi never had it.

[youtube][/youtube]

From everything I have seen you are best to just leave the ESP on in suzukis.

If you turn your traction control off you would probably get the same effect. I don't recommend unless you goal is to go do donuts in a parking lot.
I believe that is Rubicon4Wheeler's SX4 in that video. He really pushed that thing to it's 4X4 limits. The only mod of any significance to that was a small lift and AT tires.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Moto
Site Admin

I think you are correct. I remember that video from several years ago on http://clubsx4.com