Osram H7 65w bulbs

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
krell

Can i use them bulbs for my DRL?
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
~tc~

DRL is the same bulb as the high beam.

These high wattage bulbs will burn out VERY fast at the reduced DRL voltage

Posted from tapatalk
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bootymac

Shorter lifespan aside, I wonder if they would be too bright as a DRL? Can't really say without knowing the DRL voltage and the corresponding lumens of the bulbs.
KuroNekko

Yes, you can definitely use them and they will work as DRLs. Your DRLs may even be brighter than the standard halogens (I really don't think they will be too bright as DRLs).
However, as others have stated, you will most likely experience reduced bulb life.
If you want the extra performance of the bulbs in high beam mode, go for it. However, it's my recollection that you live around NYC. For that reason, if you don't use your high beams much, it may not be worth the money and effort to put these in.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Here are the bulbs if anyone is curious:
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

They are H9 bulbs with an H7 base. Compared to stock Philips long life bulbs:
- 2100 vs 1400 lumens
- 300-400 vs 1500 hours life
- 65w vs 55w

So they're 50% brighter but have a much shorter lifespan. They wouldn't be ideal for bulbs that double as DRLs.

You can also get them off eBay for cheaper:
http://m.ebay.ca/itm/171296801210?nav=SEARCH

The eBay bulbs are apparently authentic:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... 185&page=4
~tc~

How can ANY light be "too bright as a DRL"? The opposing drivers' eyes are going to be adjusted for daylight ...
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bootymac

~tc~ wrote:How can ANY light be "too bright as a DRL"? The opposing drivers' eyes are going to be adjusted for daylight ...
I'm just thinking out loud. The high beam reflector has no cut off so the light is shining straight into other drivers' eyes
Last edited by bootymac on Mon May 05, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuroNekko

From my experiences, you guys are both right. Remember, I'm the guy with modded DRLs here and have LEDs that are MUCH brighter than halogens in DRL mode.
I was worried that it was too bright and the glare from the unrestricted reflector would annoy people, much like when you still notice the fool driving in daytime with his high beams on. That being said, it does not seem to bother people too much as the sunlight is far brighter than anything.
However, I have noticed that my DRLs can be too bright as it becomes dusk. As bootymac stated, the unrestricted light can get into people's eyes. I've had a few people flash high beams at me at dusk/early evening when I was running DRLs. I then knew that I should turn on my HID low beams with the projector's good cut-off.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the LED conversion kit. I really like the white LED output and it's much brighter than the halogens. They are also impressive as high beams as long as range isn't a huge priority. They work more like a full frontal flood of light than a focused beam. They are fantastic in a dark densely wooded area.
I haven't grounded the capacitors properly yet but plan to next weekend since I have to change my oil then anyways.

I really don't think the Osrams will be too bright as DRLs. They will be brighter than stock halogens, but nothing outrageous as DRLs. I know this from running other high output halogens as high/DRLs before I got the LEDs.
bootymac

Here are some comparison photos with the Osram 65w bulbs:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... b0b7aeab7a&

They don't seem to be much brighter
Attachments
01 - 03.jpg
01 - 03.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
01 - 01.jpg
01 - 01.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
Last edited by bootymac on Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Here's some comparison photos with the Osram 65w bulbs:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... b0b7aeab7a&

They don't seem to be much brighter
I'm more impressed with the Toshiba HIR bulbs. I've heard about HIRs but never owned them. That being said, HIDs outperform HIRs and are probably why HIRs aren't so popular, especially given the rising popularity of projector housings that take HID bulbs well.