Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
WHTSHDW2

Already ordered a pair of shocks at Rock Auto (hoping that it'll be Ok).
Will keep you posted as soon as received and installed.
murcod

You should hopefully find them at least on par with the factory originals. Are you going to fit them yourself - it doesn't look too hard (if you've got the tools and safety stands)?
David
WHTSHDW2

Yes, I'll be installing the shocks. Can't find the stopper assembly and for now probably will use a drill and a drill bit to externally modify (the top and side) the actual bump stopper -while I can find them-.
I also bought the OEM sport front struts (driver side strut was notably bent; my wife hit it hard in a curb bump) and probably will receive them today, for this matter I'll borrow the spring compressors and hope to install them without problem.
SamirD

WHTSHDW2 wrote:Already ordered a pair of shocks at Rock Auto (hoping that it'll be Ok).
Will keep you posted as soon as received and installed.
WHTSHDW2 wrote:Yes, I'll be installing the shocks. Can't find the stopper assembly and for now probably will use a drill and a drill bit to externally modify (the top and side) the actual bump stopper -while I can find them-.
I also bought the OEM sport front struts (driver side strut was notably bent; my wife hit it hard in a curb bump) and probably will receive them today, for this matter I'll borrow the spring compressors and hope to install them without problem.
Can you not order the newer style bump stop? That would be best since you'll have everything out of the car.

Are you saying you're buying Suzuki struts for the front with the KYBs in the rear? I wouldn't mix the suspension like this even though everything is supposed to be within spec.

Also, I'd examine more of the front suspension if the strut is visually bent. It takes A LOT of force to do that and there's probably other damage there as well. :o
murcod

I assume it's only item number 4 in the below diagram that is replaced?

I don't supposed anyone has pictures of the newer design bump stop- perhaps cutting some slots in the old one might work? But it may cause it to prematurely fail too?
David
bootymac

Yup, it's #4. Looks like the bump stop and dust sleeve are combined
KuroNekko

A lot of info is in the Technical Service Bulletin that was posted earlier in the thread in a PDF file. Both are images I cut out from it to paste here for convenience.
Attachments
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG (68.1 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (23.98 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

Looks like it's more than the grooves - the ID is smaller also
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
murcod

Thanks KurroNekko - I'm sure I looked at the TSB when it was posted, but I didn't recall pics. Oops.

So it's a tighter (water tight) fit on the shock absorber piston and has the drain grooves.
David
KuroNekko

Right. So the countermeasure part has a smaller inner diameter and it has grooves on the outer part to vacate water. Honestly, if one was to do all the work to remedy or prevent this issue, it may be worth it to get this new bumper stopper. I know it may be hard to find, but it's what Suzuki is making to fit the issue. This also means that any new Kizashis should have this new part.

The countermeasure part number is 42250-57L03.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)