key fob problem

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
ragmopp01

I needed to replace the batteries in both key fobs (over two years old) so put in the new batteries and the locking/unlocking/starting work fine, BUT the button to open trunk does not. It used to work a few feet from the car, now I need to have the fob near the trunk and use the button on the trunk itself for the trunk to open. Also the batteries I replaced were fresh and brand new (at least according to Battery Bob). Any ideas?

By the way opening that fob is a lot of fun. I used a flat head screwdriver now both times I replaced batteries, and the plastic is starting to show wear (no matter how careful I was in trying to open). I wonder what it would look like after a half a dozen battery replacements. Of course, if I get two years per battery, it is really a moot point.
Ronzuki

There is a separate receiver (antenna) in the car for the trunk that may be going bad. The car has 3 of these devices apparently. The rear trunk one is just about dead. replace it and all will be well in the universe.

http://suzukicarparts.com/parts/2010/Su ... nt=Antenna

Or, I see a "switch, trunk lid cancel" listed for a 2012 SLS shown on one of the parts websites located in the dash. May or may not be relevant to your car in the market you're located.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
dslatsh

Yeah in the sls models there's a button inside the glove box that locks the trunk...not sure if that's just for the key fob or in total lock.
dslatsh

Also on a side note you have two fob keys? Did yours come with two or did ya buy an extra..just curious because I only got one but I did buy my vehicle used
BLyons

dslatsh wrote:Also on a side note you have two fob keys? Did yours come with two or did ya buy an extra..just curious because I only got one but I did buy my vehicle used
You should have had two. Somebody must have lost/kept one along the way with your car.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

I have two FOBs and you should as well. Scary thing is that someone out there has a key to get in to your car and to be able to start it. Ah the beauty of keyless ignition ay? Dealers keep seconds all the time for unknown reasons and rental car companies that unload their vehicles after a couple years are another source of shorted FOBs. Corporate has the other one locked up somewhere and they never seem to make it to the auction with the car. My brother (an ex-GM car salesman) has a box full of all kinds of GM FOBS.
As you can see by the parts site link above, they're quite expensive for the Kizashi. On top of that, I believe a Suzuki Service center is the only avenue available to pair a new one to the car which translates in to more expense and aggravation.
Ron

KuroNekko

A missing fob or key is often an issue when buying a used car, especially from someone who isn't all that particular. Fortunately, I got both fobs when I got my car used. The only thing missing from the car was the Owner's Manual. However, it came with some Suzuki accessories and other little goodies in the trunk so I wasn't too concerned.

One tip I recommend is to keep a brand new battery along with the spare fob together in a ziplock bag. My spare never gets used but the battery died after a few years. I now keep it with a spare new battery so if I ever need it, I can use it immediately.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ragmopp01

Thanks for your help. I printed out the schematic suggested by Ronzuki and took the cover off the trunk lid, looked inside and I can't figure out where it resides. I think it would be either item 6 or 7 correct?
Ronzuki

Probably item 6 and not likely it's on the trunk lid itself. Check the underside of the rear deck. The keyless remote antenna/board I replaced on the Olds Alero was attached to the underside of the rear deck, inside the trunk. It demonstrated the exact same symptom you are experiencing with your trunk release. If not there, then try behind the left or right side liners in the trunk. I know the RF amp is behind the right side liner in the trunk, there may be other gadgets back there. If all else fails search for the FSM thread on this site. That should tell you where it's located.

EDIT / UPDATE: OK according to the FSM (I had the CD of it out in the car), it looks as though there's a 'rear outside antenna' located behind the rear bumper cover on the center line of the car. Bumper cover must be removed to get to it...nice. Appears similar looking as the rear trunk antenna in the online parts diagram. I'd look for that and see if the p/n on it matches the description on the parts site and go from there. Damn, had to dig out an old windows XP machine for the CD to run as it didn't work on my windows 7 system. That means I really need to make a paper copy of this thing some how.
FYI there's also a 'mid inside antenna' somewhere under the console and the 'rear inside antenna' looks to be attached up under the rear deck inside the trunk. The 'keyless entry receiver' itself looks to be located on the driver's side C pillar near the rear occupant's left shoulder somewhere.
Ron

ragmopp01

Ron,
Thanks for the info....But that is WAY to much for this boy to tackle. I really appreciate the time you spent trying to help me, but as I said it is too much for me to attempt. The funny thing is I never use the fob to open either the doors or the trunk. I just press the button or either the door or trunk. It was only that I had replaced the battery on the fob's that I tested all the buttons on the fob. Again, thanks for your help.

Mike