Squeaking noise from rear, seems cold weather related

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
babacu

Hi all,

It's getting cold outside (sub-freezing temperatures for the daytime highs) and my Kizashi started to squeak when going over bumps. It appears to be coming from the rear of the car (behind the seats, somewhere in the trunk) and occurs especially when going slowly over bigger bumps (or speed humps) after a cold start. It gets milder as the car warms up, but it never really goes away.

Any ideas? Did anybody notice something similar?

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.
Moto
Site Admin

my mazda does the same thing. If you can figure out where it is coming from you can spray some graphite into the affected area, but it only works for awhile. I just live with it now.

graphite could make a mess if you get it on the wrong spot, but it doesn't smell so that is why I used it.
babacu

Thanks, I managed to find all sorts of reports (for different brands) about this problem. I would probably learn to live with it if it weren't for the fact that the car is not even a year old.

As it stands right now I'll probably bug the dealership on my next visit (I'm not holding my breath for miracles, though, so trying to gather some more info beforehand).

Thx.
Schuzuki

Mine does the same thing. Seems to be worst when temps are below 25f. There are enough bushings in our rear suspension that nailing it down would be really difficult. I'd look at control arm bushings where they mount to the body. I've successfully quieted squeaky bushings with liberal applications of silicone grease, but it's only temporary, as is the cold weather squeak. If it persists into spring, and you're still covered by the 3/36 b2b warranty, have your friendly Suzuki tech look into it. He'll probably do what I've done in the past, but remember, it's only temporary.
chazyouwin

On test driving a few SLS yesterday, I noticed such a rear squeak in all of them. Hope it is nothing significant as I bought one.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
BOURDON

Same thing for me. I have this noise on the right rear suspension, up to the shock. My dealer has inspected yesterday and I return next week. They will remove the shock and see the problem...
Suzuki Esteem Wagon 1998
Suzuki Kizashi SX 2011
fitchboy

I have the same problem with my GTS 6speed kizashi, I have an appointment to take it in this Friday. Hopefully the dealer will be able to fix it...I will keep everyone informed. When I mentioned it to the dealer over the phone, he soulded like her never knew about it.
BOURDON

My dealer has just unscrew the top of the suspension (shock), put grease and screwed. It was not completely screwed and the cold caused the noise.

My dealer has sent a report to Suzuki Canada.

Since then, no problem even at temperatures of -15 C. (5 F). :)
Suzuki Esteem Wagon 1998
Suzuki Kizashi SX 2011
chazyouwin

Outstanding- sounds like a minor fix. How long did the job take the dealer? Thirty minutes?
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
babacu

Had the car serviced today for this thing (plus the centre console door replacement recall, which they managed to make a mess of, scratching or chipping almost every panel on centre console when they removed them).

I showed them this post, they concurred that there's some grease needed on some rubber parts (claimed to have dealt with such problems before). We'll see how this thing works, it's pretty mild around here today so I can't really tell if it will make a difference in very cold temperatures. But I'll post an update once I can tell for sure.