Mileage distance indicator after filling tank

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
JDReichert

Well, I think I have this figured out, maybe!!! Before our Kizashi, we hade a 2000 Cadillac Eldorado, that had the same feature of indicating “mileage left until tank empty” but Cadillac knew the people that purchased their cars wanted to know exactly what that was, always. The Japanese think you only need to know this for the last half of the tank, therefore the Kizashi only indicates the mileage left when you are nearing the empty or reserve amount. This is the only explanation I can derive!

Jerry 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW 633CSi
alarman

My 2010 would never show above 380 or 390 left to empty. I was working on the car and had the battery disconnected for a little while and after reconnecting everything reset. Now it shows 435 to 445 when filled up with a adv of 32.5 mpg on display.
jimmerz

I'm lucky to get 300 miles per tank and then the HOG takes 13-14 gallons. (sorry still whining).
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!
naviguy

Your 'hog' is better than my 'hog'!

I went into the Combi meter, and reset the fuel values, however, after 4 tanks of gas, I am consistently getting about 18.5 MPG, and my Distance to Go is ALWAYS 235 when I fill up.

However, all 4 tanks, drove about 280 miles, before the light came on... I have yet to drive 300 miles, without it being empty..

I am shocked, that so many of you , your meter is 300-450 range... i just dont understand.

On the last tank, I NEVER floored it, and tried so hard to keep the INSTANT meter always around 60mpg, by using cruise almost everywhere I drove... but still 280 miles, Gas light on...

What's going on!?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS - Red - CVT
Rockford System with Kenwood Navi
Rear 'Suzuki' and 'Kizashi' Badges Removed
hocaspocas

What transmission do you have? How much highway or city do you drive? Flat or hills? Is your vehicle AWD or FWD? I think all these factors impact the results.

I own a 2011 Kizashi S manual 6 speed and my wife drives a AWD Subaru Legacy Automatic. I drive 80% highway 20% city. My wife 80% city and 20% highway. We live in Chicago so most part of the roads are flat.

The diffrence in gas consumption is huge between both. I can manage to squeeze close to 360 to 400 miles off each filling of 13.3 gallons. Averaging 30 mpgs

While my wife barely makes the 250 miles per filling of 15 gallons.

Do you use the instant mileage meter? i find it very helpful in regards to save gas. Once you get use to it it will help to get more mpgs
naviguy

@HocusPocus

I am 80% City, 20% highway...

As I mentioned in my last post, I REALLY use the instant MPG meter... and if I use cruise control, even in the city, and coast to every stop... It's almost always in the '60mpg' range... however, im still getting 18.5 MPG.

I think they severly 'overrated' the city driving.

One other important factor.. I live in Warm and Sunny So California, and ALWAYS have the A/C running, even at night... I wonder how much that is lowering my mpg?
PlatinumGTS

I know for a fact my gas mileage drops when the A/C is on. Never really noticed it much before on other cars.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
WESHOOT2

I run my climate control 'on'.
I run my AWD S hard, with regular excursions past 80 on dirt and 100 on paved.
I run with cruise often.
I use both Mobil regular and premium, but mostly regular.
I am averaging over 27 MPG.
hocaspocas

Also I found very helpful is resetting the mpg computer at each filling. You can set it to reset automatically at each fill up. When I got my car from the dealer. The mpg meter was always showing 16 mpgs. After reset it was more accurate.
naviguy

***********UPDATE****************

OK, so I read all of the advice in this post... and NOTHING seemed to help me so far... specifically resetting the Fuel Computer, Cruise Control, driving more careful etc...

HOWEVER, I figured two things out...

1. Disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds, then reconnecting, HELPED!
(some one said that early in this thread, but I never tried it, because i didn't want to reprogram all the radio/navi stuff)
- It finally reset the distance to go to 350miles (used to be 250-275 consistently)

2. Most important, I found the biggest killer to the calculated values of MPG, and distance to go, IS IDLING!!!

HAHA, seriously... if you just let your Kizashi idle for 1 minute... your average MPG starts dropping immediately...

I left it on this screen, while playing with my radio, and I watched it go from 21.5 MPG, all the way down to 13.7 MPG, just idling the car for 5-7 minutes...

So my best guess.. is the trip computer begins to take averages and analyzes your driving the MOMENT the engine is running, and really averages your time spent NOT moving just as much as your driving time, and then calculates your Distance To Go based on your current MPG divided by remaining fuel.

This explains to me, why my 80% City driving (sitting at lights) MPG displayed so bad, and ever since I got the car, I always sit there idling, blasting the AC, adjusting the Factory Kenwood Navi that never sounded good enough for me.

Starting today, while sitting at the light... I have been shutting my car off... and my MPG is moving up to 25.0 MPG so far...

Well, just wanted to share that with my fellow Kizashi Drivers.