CVT beating the dead horse.

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
scorcher

I am noticing that when I acccerate above 40 mph the tach jumps very rapidly about 3k the speed rises much more slowly. I have even noticed on an occasion that it feels as though it is trying to shift at the high end. Which we all know is not a characteristist of the CVT (had a Nissan Murano) I know the difference. Dealer claims the computer upgrade on the Tranny was done. Has anyone that has had issues with their CVT have anything similar to the above happen? Build date was 1/10. Car has 24K miles on it now.
Ronzuki

It would appear this TCM reflash is causing more problems rather than solving them :|
My 2010 has the original flash from the factory and, knock wood, all is well. Build date in sig line.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
eatrocks

scorcher wrote:I am noticing that when I acccerate above 40 mph the tach jumps very rapidly about 3k the speed rises much more slowly. I have even noticed on an occasion that it feels as though it is trying to shift at the high end. Which we all know is not a characteristist of the CVT (had a Nissan Murano) I know the difference. Dealer claims the computer upgrade on the Tranny was done. Has anyone that has had issues with their CVT have anything similar to the above happen? Build date was 1/10. Car has 24K miles on it now.
if it was me i'd trade it in for a 2012
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
Moto
Site Admin

There were some CVT problems around that time, but what you are describing is new to me. Most of them would lock into the highest gear and get stuck.
scorcher

My cousin is a master nissan tech. He was down from Maryland and drove it last Sunday. He has noticed similar issues with the Senta and Versa which have the smaller Japco Tranny's (like the Kizashi). He feels it is slipping under load (the RMPs are jumping 4k) and the accelleration has not caught up. It did this everytime he accellerated hard. The lag that occurs around 20 to 30 MPH is not there. I have an appointment with the dealer in naples Tues form the amp. I will be discussing the tranny issues.

Overall he was very impressed with the car, build quality, ride, handling, fit and finish. Interior very well done.
scorcher

Had my dealer visit today. Ha Ha Ha. They do not have a Suzuki tech so their linc/merc tech looked at the car. He could not find any issues with the tranny. So we took a drive and I asked him why is the car accellerating off the line (no Lag) and feeling like it is trying to shift. Said he drove a 2012 and it drove the same way. Then he cahnged his story to a 2011. I said their is a bulit in lag from 0 to 20 to protect the tranny. He didn't say a word. I asked with about the AVC control not raising the volume with vehicle speed. He said you set it manually to raise the sound. To me the guy is not a Suzuki tech and could care less. The service writer is understanding but does not know anything about cars. So I have an appointment with the Suzuki rep in 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how to deal with the factory rep.
eatrocks

Probably.....drive like an ass and let the cvt commit suicide
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
scorcher

Ha Ha. That's cute. Without the hesitation occuring from a stand still the car accellerates much better. But the poor CVT will not hold up in the long run without that hesitation. I going to give them 4 options: repair it, replace it, change it to a manual or take it back. How about a 5th give me a lifetime warranty on the tranny if nothing is wrong.
eatrocks

scorcher wrote:Ha Ha. That's cute. Without the hesitation occuring from a stand still the car accellerates much better. But the poor CVT will not hold up in the long run without that hesitation. I going to give them 4 options: repair it, replace it, change it to a manual or take it back. How about a 5th give me a lifetime warranty on the tranny if nothing is wrong.
aren't the nissan cvts 'tuned' more towards performance versus lag/dip like in the kiz?
you have 7 year 100,000 powertrain, if they replace(cannot rebuilt cvts)it make sure they replace the cvt computer and probably do a relearn reset if possible..... :mrgreen:
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
scorcher

The Murano I had never hesitatied. I beleive they use a chain in that model not belts. The Altima has the CR model wHich has a V-6 and it flys. The issues they have had are in the Sentra and Versa and I think they have the same JATCO as the Kiz. I have an appointment with the Suzuki zone rep in less than 2 weeks. So I will see what happens. I just don't it to take a crap when I am in the boonies of Florida making sales calls. I would be hesitant about taking a long trip due to the lack of dealerships.
The Kiz is great and refreshing to drive. Suzuki should have done a better job with the tranny's they use on these vehicles. The SLS did not have an option for manual in 2010 model.