CVT beating the dead horse.

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
eatrocks

scorcher wrote:The Murano I had never hesitatied. I beleive they use a chain in that model not belts. The Altima has the CR model wHich has a V-6 and it flys. The issues they have had are in the Sentra and Versa and I think they have the same JATCO as the Kiz. I have an appointment with the Suzuki zone rep in less than 2 weeks. So I will see what happens. I just don't it to take a crap when I am in the boonies of Florida making sales calls. I would be hesitant about taking a long trip due to the lack of dealerships.
The Kiz is great and refreshing to drive. Suzuki should have done a better job with the tranny's they use on these vehicles. The SLS did not have an option for manual in 2010 model.
The kiz cvt is the same exact jatco jf011e model in altimas, rogue, caliber...the sentra and smaller cars use a variation of the jf011e, no cooler in the cvt for 2.0 engines.
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
tigerbangs54

I have 33,000 miles on my SE AWD now, and have no issues with the CVT. While the actions of the CVT differ from a conventional automatic transmission, I haven't found anything that I believe that would be a defect, just different behaviors that might be mis-interpreted by someone unfamiliar with the transmission. The flat spot that some people report is just the transmission going to a lower ratio early to save fuel, and it can easily downshift by just a slight pressure on the accelerator.
scorcher

Thanks for the feedback. I do understand the nature of the CVT. The Murano I drove had a CVT. This model is chain driven as opposed to belt. Their is no downshift or hesitation what so even. Just runs hard out of the gate. This is not a bad thing, maybe even a fluke. Charateristis (spelling) should not change. My was doing the normal downshift or hesitation for 24k. The it got a mind of it's own. If the rep tells me this is normal I will tell him he is full of S___t. I am also ASE Certified. This was a long time ago. But I do know my way around a car.
eatrocks

Yep the kiz being a chain driven really added value IMO, so much Better. I have faith in my cvt, too bad the first batches were faulty. It's cvt is rated at 180 ft lbs of torque, kiz is 170 right?
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
scorcher

You may be thinking about the timing belt which is chain driven in the Kiz. Which would be much better/stronger than a timing belt. I believe there are belts in the Kiz CVT; while the Nissan Murano has a chain in their unit and is a much stronger/larger CVT. That being said I am enjoying not having a lag on take off. I wish this was normal for the Kiz.
Blackbelt

The Murano uses a JF010E JATCO CVT transmission. This is a belt driven CVT, pretty much the same as the JF011E in our Kizzys. only more robust to handle the larger HP and Torque of the V6
The JF010E
http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/CVT/JF010E.html

JATCO CVT's

http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/CVT/index.html
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
eatrocks

I read somewhere that it's a steel belt driven cvt, never heard of chain driven cvt. have seen a rubber band cvt in a mini cooper.
Heard from Suzuki that it's a steel belt
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
scorcher

Blackbet and eatrocks thats for the feedback. Right now the car take off and runs like a bat out of hell when I step on the gas. No more hesitation, delay or what ever just goes like it is not a CVT. God only knows what it is doing to the CVT. I am sure the Suzuki factory rep will figure it out. Man I love the way it is pulling off gthe line. Maybe it is some kind of fluke.
eatrocks

Had some free time so I went and test drove a 2012 Altima 2.5, same delay I get in my kiz when shifting into reverse. Initial lag is minimal when driving. Felt more sporty in acceleration....handling/cornering was horrible as I would have thought. Interior wasn't as good as my kiz...
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza