Seems like bad news for Suzuki

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Senegal

Unfortunately, they are not liable to stand behind the warranty if they exit US and file for bankruptcy.

Look at the case of court ruling in favor of Daewoo:
http://www.automotivedigest.com/content ... px?a=34302

What makes it harder for Suzuki to do that is the fact that their Auto industry is a sub-division of ASMC, and ASMC in general is rather profitable, in part thanks to Marine and Mortorcycle/ATV divisions.

But, they are generally responsible to provide parts/service for at least 10 years afterwards. Daewoo did this through Suzuki and GM dealerships.

If Suzuki takes this route, my next car will be Mazda CX-5 Skyactive Diesel :mrgreen:
Moto
Site Admin

True statement.

I am currently dealing with a Saab in that situation. There is a safety recall on the car, but there isn't really anyone who will cover it in my area.

GM is currently covering the warranty work on my model year. If you owned a 2009 or newer you are screwed.

I have not talked to the local GM dealer, but from what I understand only saab/GM dealers are required to cover the warranty work. (6 hour drive for me)

Because of how the kizashi was sold there would be no real recourse for anyone for anyone other than for a safety recall in which case Suzuki would likely still have to pay since they won't really be bankrupt.

I think the CX-5 might be a good choice I've been watching that car for awhile. There wasn't much information on it until just recently.
Puppy80

I happen to live about 10 minutes from the Bill Kay dealer that is featured in that article that closed up shop and I can say he was not all that and did nothing to promote the Suzuki name. Usually had only about 3 Suzuki's on display and pushed more the used cars lined up along the busy road he was on. Their service department was less then stellar too. My partner took my car there once for service on a broken Tire Pressure sensor they where unwilling to replace it under warranty until he put pressure on them. I say good riddance to him.
WESHOOT2

Utter blasphemy to use "SAAB" in the same sentence as "Suzuki".
lookin

Senegal wrote:Unfortunately, they are not liable to stand behind the warranty if they exit US and file for bankruptcy.

Look at the case of court ruling in favor of Daewoo:
http://www.automotivedigest.com/content ... px?a=34302

What makes it harder for Suzuki to do that is the fact that their Auto industry is a sub-division of ASMC, and ASMC in general is rather profitable, in part thanks to Marine and Mortorcycle/ATV divisions.

But, they are generally responsible to provide parts/service for at least 10 years afterwards. Daewoo did this through Suzuki and GM dealerships.

If Suzuki takes this route, my next car will be Mazda CX-5 Skyactive Diesel :mrgreen:
the difference here is i dont think suzuki would be filing bankruptcy they would just be pulling out because of low sales here remember suzuki is selling world wide.......i thought i read somewhere i think saudi arabia kizashi is best selling car isnt that something.....i think america just follow name brand it can be broken but suzuki got to put the work in.....great example hyundai there was a time nobody wanted a hyundai ahhhh we tend to forget that suzuki should do a case study
Senegal

worldwide success is irrelevant to their loss here. the ASMC is considered an "independent" entity and they sure can file for bankruptcy if they decide to.

Consider, Daewoo, they're actually a giant, much more diverse than Suzuki overseas in various industries from ships, to autos and electronics. They successfully filed for bankruptcy and exited the country without any trouble.
Senegal

and now NY times reports on the issue, make sure you read the last paragraph twice! http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04 ... utomobiles#
MadBlack

I rolled the dice when I bought this car - I didn't have any experience with Suzuki after sales service and that concerned me. But I never considered this possibility - market value on this car has just dropped off a cliff. Talk about your catch 22 - can't sell it and expect any return and if you keep it, who's going to service it. Wish I could put a positive spin on this one ....
Danbob

If I still owe 10 grand on my Kizashi and Suzuki takes a hike, then they just sell off the loan to someone who is committed to remaining in the U.S. right? Sucks that I still have to pay 10 grand for a car that is going to be worth 6 by this time next year....Guess I will just keep it until it falls apart...Oh wait, but now all replacement parts are going to skyrocket in price too......bahh. It's too bad because it is a fantastic car. So many Amerians are ignorant when it comes to driving and purchasing vehicles. This is why 90 percent of the cars sold here are automatic or CVT as well. People just don't care about driving here the way they do in other countries...
NiteRider

Lots of Doom and Gloom in this thread. Relax guys, the quality of this car speaks for itself. Someone was asking for a positive spin on this, so here you go:

1. If all goes to hell with Suzuki, someone will pick it up and rebadge it.
2. "Only so many in the US" - Nice to have a rare car.
3. If you need parts, just order it from Japan. The dollar is still strong compared to the yen.
4. Just saw a new Kizashi Commercial. Maybe they will recommit to it.

Well that was my best shot. In either case, grab the names and contact info for some Suzuki technicians in your area. They might come in handy down the road.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty