CVT Transmission starting to fail

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
kevvvinc

I just checked the fluid. Color looks good. Green and clear. Has some small bubbles though. The dealer said they would not crack open the tranny and that it was definitely heat related. Wish I could know what caused the transmission to just completely deteriorate to crap. The transmission stunk when they pulled it out. Oh and the car does drive far differently. It engages reverse in a split second, no delay what so ever. It moves off the line with far more vigor. However I'm not sure if the software is learning or something but the rpm's do some funny business when touching the gas pedal slightly on the highway. Almost like a slip. Will wait a week to let things completely settle.
SamirD

I'm just catching up on the story, and I'm really glad you and your passengers were okay.

We don't think about being stuck without power as a potential problem (usually brakes or something else), and when it happens it's not a safe situation to be in. My Galant did this for a while when apparently something had the pickup tube sucking air when cornering. Not pretty at all to have to coast into a turn with no power coming out. Luckily, a fluid flush and some treatment stuff that I forgot the name of got everything working okay again.

Amazing that the tranny is working better than the original, considering all the stress the rest of the car took. I'm wonder if the slow reverse engagement is some sort of sign of internal trouble?
tejus

gonna be brief because I am at work but I am at over a month now waiting on my kizashi to come back to me after towing it to the shop with a fried transmission. aprox 34 days and 3 rental cars later and waiting on the 4th transmission this time they are sending a new computer with it as well. Im not sure if it was a bad batch of transmissions or just poor work quality but I am about done with Suzuki I loved the car until this but it appears to be blowing the pump everytime they install a new transmission
murcod

tejus wrote:gonna be brief because I am at work but I am at over a month now waiting on my kizashi to come back to me after towing it to the shop with a fried transmission. aprox 34 days and 3 rental cars later and waiting on the 4th transmission this time they are sending a new computer with it as well. Im not sure if it was a bad batch of transmissions or just poor work quality but I am about done with Suzuki I loved the car until this but it appears to be blowing the pump everytime they install a new transmission
:( Another...

To fill in some blanks (info from your other posts) - you've got a 2012 SLS and you live in the USA.

How are you finding the dealer service since Suzuki bailed?
David
tejus

I bought the car after 1 owner at 14k miles from a local ford dealer and they were not sure when selling the car how that was going to work if I had problems (so I had them cover it with pricey insurance) but when it came down to it there are still Suzuki reps in the usa and they sent a tow truck to pick it up from my dealer and Suzuki covered a rental car for the entirety of the work being done, (im now in a loaner from lochmandy motors rather than a enterprise rental because I was very angry and made them drive a car to my house with the tow truck to pick the car up.) but Suzuki still covers their warranty (100k mile powertrain) and I got the call yesterday they are going to be sending another transmission from a different batch as well as a new computer for it. apparently the pump had blown again. I can try to answer any other questions that would help get into detail but I am not the most car savvy person you'll meet. looking at 2 more weeks for shipping and install totaling me at about 47 days in the shop for this reoccurring problem.
KuroNekko

Sorry to hear of these CVT issues in the Kizashi, but believe me, they are not unique to the Kizashi. There are well documented issues with CVTs in Nissans (also made by JATCO) but also in Audis who gets them from a different transmission maker.

From what I've read, these CV transmissions are junk. They have a higher than average failure rate and are not as efficient as trumpeted by automakers. They also rob the vehicle of power, especially from a full stop.

Some members here are so fed up with their crappy CVTs that they want to ditch their Kizashis. My purpose in writing this is to warn that CVTs are quite prevalent now in many different cars so you need to be careful about the transmission in the next car.

I'd personally never want to own a CVT. Reading this thread is all the reason I need. Gonna drive stick until transmissions altogether become obsolete from drivetrains (hello electric motor!)
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

tejus wrote:looking at 2 more weeks for shipping and install totaling me at about 47 days in the shop for this reoccurring problem.
With this much time of non-usage, you may be eligible for a buyback, depending on your state's lemon laws.
WESHOOT2

Trust me; Honda's designed-and-built-in-house CVT in the '13 and newer Accords is NOT like the CVT in my '11 Kizashi.
Nor any other.

It, when the throttle is firmly prodded, holds a ratio while letting revs climb against it.
Just like gears.

And even the cheapest base model LX w/CVT is turning mid-sevens to sixty......

While the 'name' is the same the engineering is most decidely different.
tejus

pushed back once again from pick up yesterday to wednesday. indiana lemon laws are the worst. hoping for the best new computer and tranny and they are going to drive it 65 miles to me once completed.
SamirD

tejus wrote:pushed back once again from pick up yesterday to wednesday. indiana lemon laws are the worst. hoping for the best new computer and tranny and they are going to drive it 65 miles to me once completed.
Wow, what a horrible experience. :( I hope this time it's solved once and for all. 8-)