Key Location

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Brock

Hey Guys

Always wanted to know where the hard copy key connects to the Kizashi.

I guessing it's near the push to start.

Cheers.
Woodie

The hard key only gets you in the door. Your keyfob is still what's going to start it.

As long as you've brought this up, I've been meaning to mention that we should all use that key to unlock the doors once a year or so. My girlfriend just had her battery go dead and she needed to use the real key to get in. All of the locks were frozen stiff, hadn't been used in five years. She finally got the passenger's side door open but it took quite a bit of fiddling around. Good idea to lubricate and exercise them just in case.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Brock

Good point I'm deed.
However what if the fob has been in water?

An your in the middle of nowhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woodie

Brock wrote:Good point I'm deed.
However what if the fob has been in water?
You might be okay here. There are two different systems of communication in the keyfob. when you push a button it sends out a radio signal to tell the car to do something. The other system is an RFID kind of thing which is passive. The car is constantly sending out an "anybody there" signal. If the RFID chip detects this interrogatory, it answers. This part of the keyfob doesn't even use a battery, there are very similar chips inside your credit cards. I have a feeling it might still work if wet.
An your in the middle of nowhere?
What if you loose your keys while on a camping trip, any car? We can dream up endless scenarios where you'd be F-ed, has nothing to do with the Kizashi or keyless ignition.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Brock

That's cool, does sound like a fail safe.

But what I meant was if you lost the key fob, but still had the other key.

All good, cheers.

Ronzuki

The traditional hard, metal key will not, and can not, start the car. Period. There isn't anyplace in the design of the car's ignition system to "insert" the hard key. It will ONLY allow you to unlock the doors to gain access to the vehicle's cabin in the even that the FOB's battery or the car's receive malfunction. Once inside, Follow the instructions for starting as described in the owner's manual. The systems function as Woodie has described.

Lose the FOB, in civilization or the middle of nowhere, and you're f-ed unless the second one is close by. Middle of nowhere, just f-ed a little more.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Brock

Awesome thanks for clearing that up, I been wondering for a few years now.

Last question, has any one had to change the batteries in there key fob.

I'm the second owner of my Kizashi an Have not had to change them yet.

However with another car it has died a few times.

Cheers

Dave Bower

Yes, I had to change the batter after 2 years. Hope that isn't always the case.
KuroNekko

Woodie and Ronzuki are correct about the fob being necessary to start the car. As Woodie stated, even a dead fob will start the car using its RFID technology. You simply have to touch the fob to the ring around the start button and then press the start button to start the engine. The car's info screen will even tell you to do this if it doesn't detect the fob by the normal means.
The physical key is essentially only able to get you into the car along with locking the glove box and the rear seats. However, using the key is a way to lock the car from the outside while the engine is running. While I don't recommend leaving an engine running while you're elsewhere, leaving the fob in the car while using the key to lock the door from the outside is a way to securely have the car locked but running while unoccupied.

Lastly, a number of us have already replaced the fob's battery. More on that here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =32&t=2957
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Brock

Great, so the Kizashi proves to be Awesome again!!

Thank you for the detailed responses an the link.