TPMS sensors- $45? No, but $50 each!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Hawkzilla

ThunderSky wrote:
Hawkzilla wrote:I have never owned snow tires and the only time I have ever lost the ability to steer or stop was when there was pure ice involved.
Not for nothing Hawk, but until you regularly drive a car with Snow Tires you won't be able to appreciate the differences. I have been driving Eastern Canadian winters for over 30 years, and for about the last 16 or 18 of those I have been switching to Snows for the winter. I currently have 3 cars that are winter driven , and each has a full set of Snows, and having driven plenty of winters with and without snow tires I'll guarantee that a test drive in 20" of snow with and without snow tires would make a believer out of you. :mrgreen:
So you are telling me that I have lived in the South Dakota/Minnesota/Iowa area my entire life, endured some of the worst winter storms people have ever seen, yet managed to avoid any major accidents or issues the entire time without using snow tires, and you are positive you can convince me that I need to spend $800 on snow tires?? lol

Let me be CLEAR as to avoid anymore confusion on this topic... I have zero doubt that snow tires increase traction in the snow, one would have to be an idiot not to understand that. However, with AWD and decent all-season tires, I promise you I can get around more than well enough to not justify spending extra money on snow tires.

I'm not taking away anyone's right to play it extra safe and spend money on snow tires, it's just my opinion that if you have AWD you are wasting your money.
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
Moto
Site Admin

I think this has something to do with Upper Midwest pride as we consider ourselves some of the best winter drivers in the world. I've been driving in North Dakota for the last 12 years, and while I don't feel that snow tires are necessary they are very nice to have. Snow tires take the stress out of handling on ice and snow. Last winter I broke down and got a set because I kept getting stuck because the owners of my apartment just let our parking lot drift shut over and over again.

I agree that on the east coast snow tires would likely be more helpful because of heavy traffic, hills, and deep snow, but I also understand Hawkzilla's somewhat hostile response because of our pride in winter driving ability.

Anyway, maybe this thread should be left to the tire sensor topic :)
sloopercat

Moto wrote:I think this has something to do with Upper Midwest pride as we consider ourselves some of the best winter drivers in the world. I've been driving in North Dakota for the last 12 years, and while I don't feel that snow tires are necessary they are very nice to have. Snow tires take the stress out of handling on ice and snow. Last winter I broke down and got a set because I kept getting stuck because the owners of my apartment just let our parking lot drift shut over and over again.

I agree that on the east coast snow tires would likely be more helpful because of heavy traffic, hills, and deep snow, but I also understand Hawkzilla's somewhat hostile response because of our pride in winter driving ability.

Anyway, maybe this thread should be left to the tire sensor topic :)
I grew up across the river from Fargo, driving RWD bias ply tired vehicles that flatspotted when parked overnight in sub-zero weather. And yes, you do get good at handling a car on snow and ice. In my VW days I could use my parking brake to parallel park on the other side of the street or pull that move to follow my friends that passed me in the opposite direction. Stunt driver level of car control was something I practiced for fun growing up. Tobagganing that VW across long drifted in sections was also fun. When it comes to safety and the need to get to work in the AM, snow tires are a cheap investment, more so now that I do not need to spend $700+ for the sensors. Drove a few escape the family post holiday drives on I-94 and I-29 that would not be possible without the snows. Last Xmas, I-94 was a sheet of ice the first 150 miles and closed going west. Hills and ice storms added a level of complexity this former flat lander never considered. ABS and DSC make learning car control damn near a lost art.
Hawkzilla

None of my replies were intended to come off as hostile, I just felt my point of the impact of AWD vs snow tires was being repeatedly missed. If I had to choose between a 2WD car with snow tires and a AWD car with all-season tires, my choice would be easy.

Anyway, I agree if you are crazy enough to drive over 10 miles on a sheet of ice you should have snow tires, AWD and a medical kit. lol
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
Schuzuki

Winter tires have different rubber chemistry than all season (3 season) tires. If you've ever tried running a set of UHP summer tires such as Falken Azenis RT615 when temps get low, you'll know how the grip drops when the temps do. All season tires have a wider temperature range, but still drop off quickly at temps below the low 30's.

In addition to chemistry, winter tires have larger, more open tread to grip loose surfaces than do all seasons or high performance summer tires. These two factors combine to provide an extra level of safety and performance in the cold and snow.

If you're satisfied with the handling of your car or truck on all season tires, stick with them. I've used the winter tires for the past 5 winters and feel the expense is worth it.
sloopercat

I just installed the wheels with those TPMS sensors. Went on a 20 mile drive turned the car off and on a couple times. No TPMS warning light so far. That is great news if they just self register. The owner's manual tells you dealer intervention is needed. I would think the impending doom warnings would have started by now.
TObject

You don't have your summer wheels in the trunk, do you? LOL :)

Great news. Hope all stays well. When do the replacement sensors supposed to give the low pressure warning? The factory ones seem to go off at about 32 PSI.

And, what is the part number for the sensors?
sloopercat

No, all four would not fit and they need to be rolling to send out the signal. Call Rudy at the Tire Rack ext 664. They were Mitsubishi part numbers.
sloopercat

At least that is what you would think. I now have three separate TPMS warning annoyances on the dash. I guess I will need to get the sensors registered afterall.
TObject

Bummer. Please keep us posted.