Winter Tires?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Firefly

I'm considering getting winter tires to use in place of the 18" Dunlops on my SLS.
Not sure if I will get a separate set on rims, and if so, to go downsize for better traction.
What are you all doing? Thanks for any suggestions.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
~tc~

Burning up here in Houston wondering how people could be thinking of winter
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
gaww

Except in maybe the panhandle, discussions of winter tires in Texas would not be expected to happen any time of the year.

I had swapped out the stock Dunlops for Conti Extreme DWS - which turned out to be worse in snow - so don't go there.

If you are going to separate wheels - you have a lot of choices. Dunlop Winter M3's are one choice. I had them on a Morano and had surprisingly good mileage and excellent winter traction. You will still run them on wet and dry roads most of the time, and they were pretty good there also.

Go to tire rack and look at winter performance tires. Careful of the reviews and surveys though - that is what got me in trouble with the DWS's.
chazyouwin

I had priced out 4-painted alloy wheel/winter tire mounted and balanced - with installed tire pressure gauge combos from Tire Rack last spring, and I think the quoted price was a little over $1000. I thought that was a great price. Didn't buy, since season was ending but the salesman said those sales were likely to continue in the fall.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
EnfinityX

if u are going with winter tires, its much better to go for a separate set of rims (even if they are steelies), this will save your alloys from the snow/salt, and save them from accidental damage during the installation or removal of the tires. currently i am using a set of michelin x-ice, from my previous car.
gaww

EnfinityX wrote:if u are going with winter tires, its much better to go for a separate set of rims (even if they are steelies), this will save your alloys from the snow/salt, and save them from accidental damage during the installation or removal of the tires. currently i am using a set of michelin x-ice, from my previous car.
That is one of the tires I am looking at. Have you had them in the snow and ice on the Kizashi yet?
WESHOOT2

Bridgestone Blizzak studless (wife and daughter use these on their Honda CR-Vs); General Altimax Artic, studded or not (I used these on my Kizashi, unstudded); Nokia snows.

Visit http://www.TireRack.com for reviews.

I personally most highly recommend going to a 17" wheel MAXIMUM (no, not a brand name :roll: ) for snows.
EnfinityX

gaww wrote:
EnfinityX wrote:if u are going with winter tires, its much better to go for a separate set of rims (even if they are steelies), this will save your alloys from the snow/salt, and save them from accidental damage during the installation or removal of the tires. currently i am using a set of michelin x-ice, from my previous car.
That is one of the tires I am looking at. Have you had them in the snow and ice on the Kizashi yet?
I have tried them on the kiz last winter, not bad. No drama, slips well controlled, handling is predictable, definitely more grip than stock. All goes very well and very safely as long as you understand snow tires does not = same grip as summer / dry pavement. Good set of snow shoes but its no substitute for good driving habits and knowing conditions.
AlexRuiz

I would suggest the Kizashi S formula: 16 inches steel wheels, 215/60R16 tires. This size is quite cheaper than the 215/55R17 of the 2010 SE, and much cheaper than the 235/45R18. Grab a set of TPMS sensors.

To be honest, I was quite pleased with the behavior of the Dunlop SP Sport 7000 (V rated) in the snow. A true all season tire, but indeed, no substitute for dedicated winter shoes.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
gaww

AlexRuiz wrote:I would suggest the Kizashi S formula: 16 inches steel wheels, 215/60R16 tires. This size is quite cheaper than the 215/55R17 of the 2010 SE, and much cheaper than the 235/45R18. Grab a set of TPMS sensors.

To be honest, I was quite pleased with the behavior of the Dunlop SP Sport 7000 (V rated) in the snow. A true all season tire, but indeed, no substitute for dedicated winter shoes.
I agree - lol. i had swapped them out for the Continental DWS, and was disappoint in the latter compared to the OEM (which were rated much lower in tore reviews).

I may try either the X-Ice or the Dunlop M3's - which i got surprisingly good milare and summer driving with (although on a Morano - not