new tires

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Senegal

tested tires in rain today, performed very well, AWD off.

Original tires were good in rain as well, these do it without all the noise, not to mention a much more comfy ride...its like the difference between a Toyota and Lexus.

One thing that I did not like about the Dunlops were the ice and snow performance. I decided to try these and if these don't do well, i'll be committing to snow tires.

Based on Tirerack and the Youtube reviews, I'm sure these tires would do just fine. Ice and Snow reviews to follow.
Senegal

I had a chance to test these tires in snow yesterday, they performed very well actually both in handling and breaking. Due to nature of my job, I'm on the road before the roads are cleaned, so i literally drove around in 5-6 inches of soft fresh snow. My ABS didn't even come on that often with breaking and when it did it was actuated for a brief time only, nor did the stability control with turns/cornering. I tested them with AWD on at all times. In these regards they are performing better than the Dunlops.

I have not had a chance to see how they do in icy conditions yet.
CTKizashi

I put the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my 2010 SLS AWD at 30,000 mile and found them to be quieter than the Dunlops were from the start. I remembered that the Dunlops 2 years ago, when I got the car, were loud and they got worse with age. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS also seem better on snow & ice.
Zeid

Love the DWS tires. Had them on for about 2 months until winter came and I had to put the snow tire/rims on. Quieter than the Dunlops but the sidewalls do give a bit more, and traction is 100x better!

An excellent choice, and don't forget about the high tread rating. Hopefully that equates to more than 12k miles, which is how long the Dunlops lasted with me.
Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD-Platinum Silver-Since 5/28/10
Mechanical Engineer
Owner of http://www.theCollegeDriver.com
kizashigal

How much did you pay for your DWS if I may ask? I will be replacing mine soon as I am at 27k and about 5/32 of tread left. Just want to get through the winter since I just replaced tires on my truck.
2011 Kizzy SE AWD Deep Sea Blue

*drive it like you stole it*
gmkizashi

I'm just about ready for my third set at almost 70,000 miles . OEM's were replaced at 32,000. Then I got Yokahama Avid Envigor and they got LOUD!!!!!! after about 20,000 and then LOUDER each day-bugs the crap out of me.

Now thinking of getting Continental Pure Contact with "ECO" technology . More of a touring tire but the reviews look good all around. Size is 235/45/18 94V $168 on tire rack (the DWS are $182)

But now you got me thinking about the DWS. Thanks for the input
2010 SLS FWD CVT-Azure Grey
twoqttsdad

Take a look at the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. The tire has excellent treadwear, traction and quietness. Asymetrical tread that can be cross rotated. Fairly new tire. Check out the review.

http://www.moparmax.com/departments/mop ... oyo-1.html
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
chazyouwin

Sorry to hear about the Yokohama Avid Envigor noise issue. I've been a fan of the relatively inexpensive Yokohama Avid line since I put four on an Accord many years ago and found that set to be unbelievably quiet. They had a solid straight ungrooved strip down the middle of the tire which seemed to be an innovation for reducing noise.
I have Envigors and the predecessor TRZs on my XL-7s and they are doing well at over 20,000 miles each, but they are certainly not as quiet as the ones I put on the Accord.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
gmkizashi

chazyouwin wrote:Sorry to hear about the Yokohama Avid Envigor noise issue. I've been a fan of the relatively inexpensive Yokohama Avid line since I put four on an Accord many years ago and found that set to be unbelievably quiet. They had a solid straight ungrooved strip down the middle of the tire which seemed to be an innovation for reducing noise.
I have Envigors and the predecessor TRZs on my XL-7s and they are doing well at over 20,000 miles each, but they are certainly not as quiet as the ones I put on the Accord.

I forgot to mention that I had them (the Yokohama Avid Envigor) on my prior vehicle , a Saab 9-3 Sport-Combi wagon and they were not annoyingly loud and did fine. Don't exactly know why, but they were a little narrower and taller profile on smaller wheels.(225/55/16)
2010 SLS FWD CVT-Azure Grey
Firefly

Switching from the 18" Dunlops, do you notice less "tram-lining"? In other words when the tires contact an uneven ridge or rut in the pavement, it causes the wheels to steer, and you can feel the steering wheel move with it. I had this issue with another car and switching tires eliminated it.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum