CVT Transmission...problems, problems, and more problems

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
FitGyrl2010

Sorry but this is gonna be a little long, I'll try to make it as short as possible...

Well I have been lurking around the board for a little while now and decided I would post my ordeal and share it just in case someone else may run into similar issues. I have a 2010 Kizashi SE. Approximately 3 months ago, my service engine light came on. Drove to the dealership and the checked for a code, they got P0443 and said it was probably the gas cap. So we removed gas cap, re-tightened it with about 4-5 clicks and they cleared the light. "If it comes back on, come back and see us". This was at approximately 16.5K miles.

Happily drove my little Kizashi for about another 1.5K miles and low and behold, service engine light comes back on, but this time when stopping at red lights or stop signs and starting to accelerate again I started feeling (not sure how to describe it), but it kind of felt kind of like a stutter when pressing the gas pedal (intermittently). Took the car back to the service department, got the same P0443 code but said we need to replace the purge control valve. They ordered part and when it came in I dropped car off to have part installed. I went to pick the car up later that morning and although the light was out, the stuttering was still happening. I asked if they even DROVE the vehicle after the repair or just put the part in and pulled the car out, because I could feel the stuttering before even leaving the parking lot.

They proceeded to pull the car back in, not sure what to do they called a Suzuki tech, and they were told to do a software update...after waiting around for 3.5 hours, they finally admitted they had absolutely no clue what the problem was because the update made the stuttering even worse. They called Enterprise and put me in a rental car. After about 5 days they called me back with an update, they were replacing the transmission. Yaahhhh I'm thinking!!!

Picked my car up after 6 days in a rental, soooooo happy to be back in my Kizashi (because sorry but a Chevy Sonic is no Suzuki Kizashi) :D Car was driving beautifully, so smooth. Well, I get about 10 miles down the road almost home and guess what...the service engine light comes back on...no stuttering this time though. Soooo I go back to dealership the next morning, they pull another code, they tell me now we have to replace the TCM (transmission control module). So I'm like okay, as long as it won't cause any problems, I wanted to drive my car until they got the part. They said that's fine, that was Thursday last week...

They called me Friday morning to schedule appointment to install new TCM. I scheduled it for Tuesday (yesterday AM), sat and waited on the repair about 2.5 hours. They bring me my little FOB and I'm oh sooooo happy again to have my car back on the road with no lights...

UGHHHHHHHH guess what guys and girls, approximately 7 miles down the road the service engine light came back on AGAIN...Of course I took the car back to the dealership this morning and I am now in another rental car.

The service department has been absolutely fantastic and are doing everything they possibly can, but nobody has a freaking clue what is going with this service engine light. How many gremlins can one little Kizashi have :cry:
lishous23

I've been lurking too - trying to see if anyone is having issues like ours. Sounds like you might be. Our check engine light came on and then sort of a "Wheeeeee" sound happened and it seemed like the car had shifted out of gear. We were able to make it hope and called the dealer the next day. We took it in (it wasn't making the same noise , but the check engine light was still on) - they couldn't come up with a code at all or any diagnosis. They ended up telling us they needed to order a part to replace our panel so the check engine light would go off. Well... um, what's wrong with the car? They said it was okay to drive, so we kept driving it. It didn't make that "Wheeee" noise again but most of the time we accelerated, it seemed like it was actually "slowly pulsing" to find the gear. Sort of like your cruise control tries to get you to the correct speed up and down hills? At any rate, we took it back in to get the part replaced (in the meantime the check engine light had gone off) and told them of this problem. The said they drove it and couldn't find anything wrong and explained to us about the 15th time about the CVT Transmission. We UNDERSTAND how it works, but the car is obviously driving differently than it did - so why? And then yesterday, the "Wheeeee" sound happened again and it appeared like the car had shifted out of its gear again. I pulled over, put it in park and the noise went away. What is going on? We are going to try and take it to a different dealer location as soon as we can, but this is really frustrating. We really love the car, but why can't they give us any answers or help?

Not sure if this is similar to what is happening with you? At any rate - I hope your issues get resolved soon!
FitGyrl2010

Lishous23 sorry to hear that you are having issues as well...not sure why they weren't able to pull any codes, the guys definitely got a code every time my light came on, it just came right back on after they believed the issue was resolved. Definitely not understanding the "replacing the panel to get the engine light to go off", what is that? Initially when I took my car in I was given the "are you making sure you're clicking the gas cap at least 4-5 clicks" speech the first two times because my codes kept coming back as the EVAP control circuit. After I sternly but politely asked them if they ask their male customers the same question when they come in with a service engine light, I didn't hear that comment again.

Hopefully you guys can get someone to LISTEN to you, that's the challenge. I understand the frustration, you've been driving your car and you know when something is different. And I know you mentioned they drove it, with the next service dept visit make sure one of you guys either drive it and have them ride with, or let them drive and you ride with them so you explain what you are talking about...as they cannot possibly have a clue how YOUR CAR should drive, how could they in a 1-2 minute test drive. I absolutely love my car so I will continue to be patient.

I'll post back with any updates and you do the same PLEASE...

The Kizashi is a great car in spite of what I've gone through the past month or so and if I had to go out and buy another car tomorrow I would buy another Kizashi, so don't give up!
Blackbelt

I truly believe there was some issues with a batch of the JATCO CVT's on the 2010 KIZZY. Curious what your build date was on your Kizzy FitGyrl?
My CVT went at 3600 miles. My dealer put me in a rental and replaced the tranny and i am at 16K miles without any issues since then.
The JF011E JATCO tranny is not known to be troublesome. Our cars use the same unit that is in the dodge caliber, jeep compass and patriot, as well as several Nissans including the Sentra.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
FitGyrl2010

Hey Blackbelt...I'm sure you're probably right. I did read about your issue as well. I'll definitely check my VIN to see what my build date was. Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Like I said I had absolutely no problems at all with my car up to that point. I do love my car, it's been a little frustrating (as patience is not my strong suit).

And actually I got a call from service manager last night at about 6:20 (svc dept usually closed up and locked at 5:30), they found two damaged or defective wires at wiring harness. So they repaired those and he asked my permission to drive it home (approx 15 mi each direction), of course I said yes. Met him at the shop this AM and picked my car up with no service lights on the dash...and made it to my office (approx 23 mi one direction). No lights, so I think we may have finally gotten everything. I believe everything has finally been resolved...my Kizzy is driving flawlessly now.

Anybody who reads this and experiencing any issues, like I said a cpl posts up you have to find service people who are willing to LISTEN (you may have to go through a few) and willing to do whatever it takes to nail down the issues. Frustrating yes, but Suzuki definitely came through and they left this customer VERY SATISFIED.

Thanks again Blackbelt
Ronzuki

Blackbelt, I didn't re-read your CVT post, but didn't both your trans and TCM get replaced at the same time? Sort of as a "matched" set type deal? Many things of this sort are replaced as a pair, or set, in the industrial controls world. This may, or may not, explain things w/ the manner in which the OP's trans problem was handled (trans first, then TCM later). I don't suppose they ever informed you of exactly what had failed w/ your trans/TCM.

Something else to consider...the trans itself may be the same as in those other vehicles, but it is unlikely the TCM is identical. What about the firmware in the TCM...vehicle manufacturer specific? Just some thoughts and questions I'm certain a dealer could not answer. Two different people, or entities, can develop code to control identical machines using identical hardware and development software. One person can write it to operate correctly and serve a long useful life. Another person can write the code which will self destruct the machine in a week. We have a motto around here...Computers (automotive TCMs, ECMs and the like are in that category) are nothing but high speed idiots sometimes programmed by bigger idiots. This in and of itself is what bothers me about all of the 'technology' designed in to modern day autos.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
eatrocks

FitGyrl2010 wrote:Hey Blackbelt...I'm sure you're probably right. I did read about your issue as well. I'll definitely check my VIN to see what my build date was. Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Like I said I had absolutely no problems at all with my car up to that point. I do love my car, it's been a little frustrating (as patience is not my strong suit).

And actually I got a call from service manager last night at about 6:20 (svc dept usually closed up and locked at 5:30), they found two damaged or defective wires at wiring harness. So they repaired those and he asked my permission to drive it home (approx 15 mi each direction), of course I said yes. Met him at the shop this AM and picked my car up with no service lights on the dash...and made it to my office (approx 23 mi one direction). No lights, so I think we may have finally gotten everything. I believe everything has finally been resolved...my Kizzy is driving flawlessly now.

Anybody who reads this and experiencing any issues, like I said a cpl posts up you have to find service people who are willing to LISTEN (you may have to go through a few) and willing to do whatever it takes to nail down the issues. Frustrating yes, but Suzuki definitely came through and they left this customer VERY SATISFIED.

Thanks again Blackbelt
the manufacture date is on the drivers door panel, month/year
lishous23 what is your manufacture date?

looks like the bad batch of CVTs have a build date of 1/10 or 2/10
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
Blackbelt

Ronzuki wrote:Blackbelt, I didn't re-read your CVT post, but didn't both your trans and TCM get replaced at the same time? Sort of as a "matched" set type deal? Many things of this sort are replaced as a pair, or set, in the industrial controls world. This may, or may not, explain things w/ the manner in which the OP's trans problem was handled (trans first, then TCM later). I don't suppose they ever informed you of exactly what had failed w/ your trans/TCM.

Something else to consider...the trans itself may be the same as in those other vehicles, but it is unlikely the TCM is identical. What about the firmware in the TCM...vehicle manufacturer specific? Just some thoughts and questions I'm certain a dealer could not answer. Two different people, or entities, can develop code to control identical machines using identical hardware and development software. One person can write it to operate correctly and serve a long useful life. Another person can write the code which will self destruct the machine in a week. We have a motto around here...Computers (automotive TCMs, ECMs and the like are in that category) are nothing but high speed idiots sometimes programmed by bigger idiots. This in and of itself is what bothers me about all of the 'technology' designed in to modern day autos.
Ronzuki,
I can't remember if both were replaced or not.
AFAIK the firmware is MFG specific, although the CVT in my Kizzy behaved in an almost identical fashion as the one in my Caliber R/T. Except the one in my caliber didnt croak at 3600 miles :lol: . It had close to 60K on it when i sold it and never had any issues. I couldn't get any additional info out of Suzuki as to why mine failed, aside from it throwing multiple sensor failure codes. (which is what the dealer told me). I know that the tranny was overheating, as when it went haywire i could smell it.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
scorcher

2010 SLS with 23,000 miles. Since change of job putting about 3k a month on car. I have not experienced andy problems other than about 6 months ago tanny locked into lower gear after drivng back to Fort Myers form Miami. Turned the car off at stop light and when light was green started the car back up. Computer reset and have not had (knock on wood) an issue. Sorry to hear about the prob's hopefully mine will not face the same issues.
gaww

Blackbelt wrote:I truly believe there was some issues with a batch of the JATCO CVT's on the 2010 KIZZY. Curious what your build date was on your Kizzy FitGyrl?
My CVT went at 3600 miles. My dealer put me in a rental and replaced the tranny and i am at 16K miles without any issues since then.
The JF011E JATCO tranny is not known to be troublesome. Our cars use the same unit that is in the dodge caliber, jeep compass and patriot, as well as several Nissans including the Sentra.
Actually, that transmission had a lot of problems in the Nissans. I had a Morano with the next larger CVT, and the service manager said they had no serious problems with it, but that they had major issues with the one in the Sentra and other small cars.

This is probably why the CVT Kizashi has been set up to restrict the loads from start to about 20mph - which causes a noticeable lag compared to virtual all other conventional auto trans equipped cars and also the manual trans Kizashi.

That remains my biggest complaint with the car. Would have gone with the manual in AWD if they had imported those to the US.