CVT Transmission...problems, problems, and more problems

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
scorcher

With all the prompting on the forums I checked the build date and it is 1/10. Mine does shutter on mild acceration, mainly between 20 and 30. Then seams to runs fine. The dealer in Naples is not very cooperative about anything. Can't even get them to replace the amp (volume issues) or have the area Suzuki rep call. I call on shops for a living and I am going to go by one of the shops I call on that deal with trans. and get there opinion. Suzuki is just a pain in the but to do anything. :roll:
Blackbelt

scorcher wrote:With all the prompting on the forums I checked the build date and it is 1/10. Mine does shutter on mild acceration, mainly between 20 and 30. Then seams to runs fine. The dealer in Naples is not very cooperative about anything. Can't even get them to replace the amp (volume issues) or have the area Suzuki rep call. I call on shops for a living and I am going to go by one of the shops I call on that deal with trans. and get there opinion. Suzuki is just a pain in the but to do anything. :roll:
Not Suzuki, it is your dealer. Try a different one if you can.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
eatrocks

scorcher wrote:With all the prompting on the forums I checked the build date and it is 1/10. Mine does shutter on mild acceration, mainly between 20 and 30. Then seams to runs fine. The dealer in Naples is not very cooperative about anything. Can't even get them to replace the amp (volume issues) or have the area Suzuki rep call. I call on shops for a living and I am going to go by one of the shops I call on that deal with trans. and get there opinion. Suzuki is just a pain in the but to do anything. :roll:
If it was me I'd sell ur 2010 back to ur stealership, since there's nothing wrong according to them u will get plenty on it. Then trade for a 2012 kiz.
Either it was a bad batch of cvts during those months or just the wrong software installed which led to the self destruct 'feature'

Ur cvt and tcm MUST be replaced(not rebuilt)..out of warranty fix would be 5500+!!!!!

I notice the lag and drop in power once I hit 20mph with normal acceleration city driving, it's to keep the cvt from overheating
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
NiteRider

Just bought my '12 Kizzy over the weekend and it didn't take me long to feel the lag at 20mph. Just feels like it "shifts down" way too soon and it groans. Little more on the throttle helps but it is annoying and I've only had the car for a couple days. I have heard of a TSB out there to reflash but didn't know if it applied to the 2012's. If it's normal then fine, I'll live with this annoyance but would rather have a nice smooth acceleration.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
Firefly

NiteRider wrote:Just bought my '12 Kizzy over the weekend and it didn't take me long to feel the lag at 20mph. Just feels like it "shifts down" way too soon and it groans. Little more on the throttle helps but it is annoying and I've only had the car for a couple days. I have heard of a TSB out there to reflash but didn't know if it applied to the 2012's. If it's normal then fine, I'll live with this annoyance but would rather have a nice smooth acceleration.
That's pretty much the nature of the CVT. It felt odd to me but I got used to it. Beyond that 20mph "downshift" feelling" it picks up quickly and is more linear. At that point, accelerating to higher speeds is very good. You'll find that on the highway, passing is a breeze.
I wouldn't say it's a "lag" -- it's more of a "dip"
If you have ever had a turbo car, you know what lag is.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
gaww

The dip at 20 sounds really odd to me. It seems that Suzuki may have traded one problem for another.

The lag I and many others experience is from 0 to 20. After that it takes off pretty good. This is at full throttle when trying to get up to speed on a short highway entrance ramp or making a right turn on red (from a complete stop). With just normal part-throttle stop and go in city traffic, I do not notice any lag or drop - it is all smooth sailing.

Mine is a 2010 GTS AWD. Have not looked at the date of the CVT.
Blackbelt

As to the 'lag' up until 20, initial torque is electronically limited for CVT longevity. This is the way my JATCO CVT equipped Caliber is, and the Kizzy is the same way, since they are both equipped with the JATCO JF011E transmission.
The ECM is going to limit engine Torque between 0-20 to preserve CVT longevity and to prevent belt slippage. This is what causes the CVT equipped Kizzy to feel somewhat sluggish off the line. Once everything is hooked up and moving, then the limiting stops. That is why the Kizzy feels stronger in the mid and top ranges. If you want your CVT to live, there really isn't much you can do. The TCM will do whatever it has to do to preserve the transmission. That is the price we pay to have the CVT.

The "shift" you are feeling under light load is the torque converter locking up. It does this for economy.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
~tc~

@NiteRider - it gets a lot better after 5000 miles on the car.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
NiteRider

That's good to hear tc. I've been playing nice with it using a light foot. The dealership tells me there is no Break in period but I don't like taking chances. Hopefully the MPG gets better too as I'm getting about 24.5 mpg with 50/50 Hwy/city with a light foot. Not the numbers I was hoping for considering I plan on hitting the throttle harder after 5K miles.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
eatrocks

NiteRider wrote:That's good to hear tc. I've been playing nice with it using a light foot. The dealership tells me there is no Break in period but I don't like taking chances. Hopefully the MPG gets better too as I'm getting about 24.5 mpg with 50/50 Hwy/city with a light foot. Not the numbers I was hoping for considering I plan on hitting the throttle harder after 5K miles.

There is a short break in period in the manual, I went ahead and waited till 1000 on the odo b4 driving like a bastard. U do need to drive it like u stole it after 700-1200 miles are on the car
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza