CVT Transmission...problems, problems, and more problems

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Minority

NiteRider wrote:That's good to hear tc. I've been playing nice with it using a light foot. The dealership tells me there is no Break in period but I don't like taking chances. Hopefully the MPG gets better too as I'm getting about 24.5 mpg with 50/50 Hwy/city with a light foot. Not the numbers I was hoping for considering I plan on hitting the throttle harder after 5K miles.
Good luck with that! I have 40,000km on mine and the fuel consumption is still poor. At least it is poor if any city driving is involved. On pure highway driving consumption can actually be pretty good in my experience. My bitch with Suzuki was that they claimed classleading fuel consumption on combined city/highway driving.
NiteRider

Well, at least it's still better than the 13 MPG I was getting with the Jeep :shock:
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
Blackbelt

I average around 28 with mixed driving, and the city driving i am doing is stop and go with a lot of congestion. Usually several miles not getting over 10 mph. On straight highway i have seen 38. I live in Western PA, and the hills here are notorious gas mileage killers.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
NiteRider

Blackbelt wrote:I average around 28 with mixed driving, and the city driving i am doing is stop and go with a lot of congestion. Usually several miles not getting over 10 mph. On straight highway i have seen 38. I live in Western PA, and the hills here are notorious gas mileage killers.
That really doesn't make any sense. I just took a trip, 2 hours all highway. I was able to muster 29.5 MPG. :?:
'10 Jeep Liberty
Blackbelt

I took mine on a trip on the PA turnpike and got 38. There are small things that can make a difference in mileage. A full blown hypermiler could easily get the Kizashi over 40MPG, but A number of small things can result in the averages i get.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
PlatinumGTS

Blackbelt wrote:I took mine on a trip on the PA turnpike and got 38. There are small things that can make a difference in mileage. A full blown hypermiler could easily get the Kizashi over 40MPG, but A number of small things can result in the averages i get.
How in the heck did you get 38. I've had mine on the turnpike and couldn't quite get 28. :(
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
NiteRider

PlatinumGTS wrote:
Blackbelt wrote:I took mine on a trip on the PA turnpike and got 38. There are small things that can make a difference in mileage. A full blown hypermiler could easily get the Kizashi over 40MPG, but A number of small things can result in the averages i get.
How in the heck did you get 38. I've had mine on the turnpike and couldn't quite get 28. :(
This is what I'm saying. I took the same turnpike, set it on cruise control, reset the MPG tracker and l still couldn't get past 30mpg. Do you mind sharing the small things you are doing to get that mpg?

Aftermarket parts?
Over inflated tires?
Drafting?
Throwing the car into Neutral?
Rolling through stop signs? :lol:
'10 Jeep Liberty
Blackbelt

A lot of tips and tricks can be found on this website
www.cleanmpg.com

Some of the basics i use are inflating tires to max sidewall pressure. That is not "overinflating". Overinflating is exceeding max sidewall pressure. I have found that my tires trend to last longer and the car handles better. Downside is a slightly harsher ride.
I do not use the cruise if i am trying for max mileage. I do not drive at 70+ MPH. To get my 38, i drove at the posted speed limit or slightly under. When i was climbing hills, i locked my foot on the accelerator and did not push it down to maintain speed. On the downside of the hills, i allowed the car to coast as much as possible. Most all cars now have a DFCO, which stands for "deceleration fuel cut off", so as long as the car is in gear and the RPMS are above idle, the computer cuts off the fuel to the engine. When accelerating, i try to keep the RPM's under 2K. Do not run the A/C. I never ever "draft". That's not a safe practice. I anticipate what;s going on ahead of me, and adjust accordingly. I use the brakes as little as possible, since the speed the are scrubbing off cost money to produce.

As to increasing my city mileage, if i am going to be sitting for any longer than 30 seconds, i shut the engine down. I try to anticipate and time red lights so i am not stopping at them. I never roll through stop signs, that's not safe.

There are a lot of fairly "extreme" techniques that can be used, but i tend to stick with the simpler and more basic stuff. I don't always use them, sometimes i just get in the mood to drive it like a stole it, and when i do the mileage will drop into the lower 20's.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
gaww

Sounds like you are driving like many Toyota Prius drivers - lol.

Hope you stay in the right lane - as being in front of other cars starting up at only 2000 RPM, traveling under the limit on an interstate, and not maintaining speed up a grade is an invitation to road rage.
Blackbelt

gaww wrote:Sounds like you are driving like many Toyota Prius drivers - lol.

Hope you stay in the right lane - as being in front of other cars starting up at only 2000 RPM, traveling under the limit on an interstate, and not maintaining speed up a grade is an invitation to road rage.
Always in the right lane, unless i am passing someone. That's simple road courtesy. I normally am not traveling under the PSL, most of the time i drive at it. If i slow going up a grade, i never allow the speed to drop below the minimum required speed for that road. Most of the time, i usually don't have to drop more than 5MPH under the PSL on almost every grade on the interstate.
I see many Prius drivers who drive like douche bags. Almost as many BMW and Audi drivers.
Because of the CVT, you can accelerate just fine while keeping your RPM's at 2 or less. Getting up to 45 only takes a few seconds longer, but saves a LOT of fuel.

As to potential road rage, like i said, i stay out of the passing lane unless i am actually going to pass someone(as should everyone else for that matter). If someone wishes to rage on me, I have a legally carried Glock 17 and Kel Tec P11 to defend myself if needed.
2010 Kizashi S AWD