Radio Specs for SE?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
mille33

Anybody know the factory head unit specs? I'm looking to upgrade my door speakers but don't know how much power the head unit can take. Thanks!
tigerbangs54

Remember that the head unit provides the power to the speakers: speakers do not power the head unit. The Head unit is said to deliver 20 watts per channel to each of 4 discrete channels. My experience is that the speakers in the SE are not the weak link, the head-end is.

The head unit is made by Panasonic, and it's FM and AM reception is OK, but not stellar. FM audio quality is rather treble-shy. The system is a bit more respectable on CD and iPod music material, but you won't get really thumping bass out of the system, or really high sound-pressure-levels.

I have replaced my head unit with a new Kenwood DNX-6990, which adds Bluetooth, Garmin Navigation and HD radio reception, with the option of a rear-view camera and XM-Sirius radio. It is a vast improvement in reception and sound quality, with similar power output, but with the option to add external power amplifiers at a later date. I have kept the stock 7 speaker system so far and find that I enjoy the system far more than I did the standard system. I do not have subwoofers or amplifiers installed in the car, but the bass is adequate for my listening. Radio reception has improved, and radio clarity is greatly improved. I can now stream from my android phone via bluetooth Pandora and TuneIn Radio, which allows me to have listening options not available to me before.
I suggest that you explore installing a better head unit before spending a lot of money upgrading speakers, as the improved source of the music is likely more satisfying than a speaker upgrade. When such time comes that you want to add subwoofers and amplification, you will have a much better source from which to listen.