Should I Buy Kizashi?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Bromeo

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and I've been looking at the Kizashi for about a week now. I'm a 20 year old, whose never owned a car before but I am pretty sure that this is going to be my first car. It has everything that I want/need...Before I found out about the Kizashi I spent about a month researching all types of cars, and eventually limiting my choices down to several cars; the Subaru Impreza Sport Limited, the Hyundai Sonata, and this Suzuki Kizashi. Before I decide to finalize my decision here, a few things are somewhat holding me back from buying this car, and I think this forum would be the best place to put these discouragements to rest.

First off, how reliable is this car? I've looked at almost every single youtube video that is Kizashi related, and people have commented on how well designed this car is, but sources from many websites say otherwise. My dad who used to be a vehicle sales-rep is also believes that this car has poor reliability, because Suzuki is known for their history of bikes and off-road vehicles, not sedans. It's especially hard to find evidence of reliability because sales are so low in the US.

Secondly, how effective is the AWD system? Is the awd system worth it on the Kizashi? I've read that it adds an extra 300 pounds, which would be a drag for the already somewhat incompetent fuel economy.

Lastly, does this car have a good trade-in, or re-sell value in about 5 years? I know people hate to hear this asked, especially when a buyer like me wants to buy a car that no one really knows about. Demand will obviously be lower compared to mainstream sedans, but it's something that I like to consider especially when I'm buying something with a big price tag. Has anyone traded their Kizashi away for something else that is considered a "good deal"? or if anyone has sold away their Kizashi for a nice chunk of money?

Please inform me with your experiences with the Kizashi! Thanks for your time, and sorry for the long post :D
kizashi_VA

I have to point out the reason Suzuki doesn't sell alot of cars in the US is not because the reliability issue. The main reason is because Suzuki doesn't spend enough money at marketing like other car companies do. If you just sit at home and watch TV commercials all day, I bet you can see all other brands but Suzuki. Suzuki's main market is in Asia actually, especially the Indian market. You mention Subaru, but the fact is Suzuki sell more cars than Subaru even in their own home country Japan. I'm mean I will think Japanese people will know more about Japanese cars than American do. I am not saying your dad's logic is wrong but if that's the case, no one should buy Honda bikes then, because Honda is famous for Civic in America, not Goldwing. But the funny thing is Honda actually sells more bikes in Japan than Suzuki does. Some people might not know this, but Geo Metro actually was made by Suzuki, and I just saw one the other day fly past me on highway.

However I will suggest you to buy a newest Kizashi model as possible. If the 2013 is out now, I will tell you go get 2013. The main reason is because Kizashi is kinda a new model for Suzuki. It didn't start selling till 2010. So the 2010 models will always have the most problems compare to the newer models.

AWD is the reason I buy Suzuki, because they offer cheapest AWD cars. If you don't want AWD then you really don't need to think about the Subaru; and atlest Suzuki have button you can turn AWD on and off unlike Subaru. It's all depend on where you live. If it never snow and hardly any heavy rain then you really don't need AWD.

Resell value is the weak point of Kizashi out of the 3 cars you mention. This is no doubt about it. But I personally don't think that is more important than how much I love the car. If I have to pick a car that I don't like just because it can sell more after 5 years, then I might just well kill myself. Seriously, I have to sit in a car I don't like for 5 years, so that in the 6th year I can sell for a extra 2 or 3k? It's not worth it.
WESHOOT2

I sell new Hondas.
I owned Subarus since 1991.
I traded my '07 Impreza for a new 2011 S AWD on December 23, 2010.
I currently have 53,630 miles on my S AWD.
I recently returned from a 3,020 mile trip and averaged 31.777 MPG.
I beat the snot outta my S AWD like a bad teenager, and I have had zero issues. Zero.
I do not buy a car for its resale value; I buy a car to meet my transportation needs WHILE PROVIDING driving enjoyment.
My S AWD provides me driving enjoyment.
I drive mine mostly in Vermont, and I spend considerable time driving mine on unpaved roads. Hard.........

Mine has so far been a superb choice. For me.
You?
Ronzuki

WESHOOT has pretty much said all there is to say.

I will add that Suzuki is still seems to be digging out from their past mistake of selling re-badged Korean made sedans here in the U.S. and their lousy reliability. I've never owned one of those for that very reason. I have been a Suzuki owner since they arrived in the U.S. market in 1986 and their Japanese built vehicles are the most relaiable vehicles I've ever owned amongst many, many GM and Chrysler products. Since 1986 I believe I've only been zuk-less for around 4 years, other than that, I've always owned at least one, and hadn't purchased anything new from them until the Japanese SX4 was introduced. The Toyotas I've owned/own are right up there reliability-wise, however, they cost more than a zuk for what you get.

Can't go wrong w/ the subie either, stay away from the Korean junk....my $0.02.

I do not buy a car for resale value either, I look for what will be the most reliable, last the longest and cost the least amount....that would be the zuks.

The AWD was a must for me and is the sole reason I have the Kizashi (a car) versus another over-priced 17 mpg SUV. Plus I get the benefit of driving a well built vehicle that handles like it's on rails w/ 27-30 mpg daily driving it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
jute2003

I'll start out by saying that I think your fathers logic is faulty. Suzuki made vehicles have always been very reliable. some of the rebadged daewoo crap was not but that was a poor business decision on their part and had nothing to do with the quality of real suzukis. Reliability shouldn't be a concern at all. Resale isn't going to be great but depending on where you live I doubt it'll be much better with the hyundai or the subaru. You can protect yourself a bit by ensuring that you get a good deal to begin with though. Don't pay msrp. Be persistent when youre negotiating. If the dealer wants the sale bad enough theyll work with you.

Finally, drive all the cars your interested in. Everybody has different tastes and priorities. I can tell you I've been very happy with out 2010 kizashi GTS. It's been perfectly reliable (much like my 07 sx4 before it), it's fun to drive, unique, and has all kinds of features to keep me interested. It's also unique which can't be said for the sonata or subaru. Those damn things are everywhere. your preferences likely differ from mine howevver. That is why its important to get a good test drive in with all the options.

Have fun, and be confident in any car you choose. I'm sure they'll all make great vehicles for you.
tigerbangs54

The Kizashi is really in a class of one: it is bigger than cars like the Civic and Impreza, but smaller than the Accord or Legacy. It has very reasonable fuel economy with the AWD system, and offers some of the best seating comfort and roadholding that you'll find in a similar-sized car. I have 37,000 mi on my 2010 Kizashi SE AWD, and have had one minor failure: a climate-control fan, which was replaced under warranty for me. The car seems to be rock-solid even after 37,000 miles, and it eats up the highway miles like a much larger, more expensive car.

When GM controlled Suzuki's distribution in the US, they stuck the Suzuki brand with some pretty bad Daewoo-built Korean cars that were a drain on Suzuki's credibility, but Suzuki-built products have always been reliable and tough. The Kizashi is the most sophisticated car Suzuki has ever built, and it sells well in many other countries, such as India, where Suzuki owns more than 60% of the market.

The Kizashi probably won't have the kind of rock-solid resale value of a Toyota or a Honda, but that is only really an issue if you plan to trade in a couple of years. A lot like Subarus, Suzuki owners tend to keep them until the wheels fall of of them. If you plan a short-term ownership of a Kizashi, you might consider one of their leases, which are subrogated, and fairly inexpensive. Personally, I plan to get as many miles out of my Kizashi as I possibly can.

When you figure the generous financing and rebates available on the Kizashi, you'll find that they really don't cost any more than an Impreza or a Jetta, and offer a lot nicer interior and more content than those cars do.
Bromeo

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm definitely looking at none other than the Kizashi at this point.
MNSLS

2010 SLS here that I've had for a couple of months. Reliability is good so far. One plus is this dealer sold and maintained the car so I was able to see the records. Nothing significant - brakes, light bulbs, oil etc. It's now approaching 60K miles.

Came off of driving a 2005 Saab 92x. Which is the Saab version the Subaru Impreza. I drove a new 2012 Impreza while looking for cars. Both have AWD. The Kizzy does better in my daily commutes and long distances than my Saabaru by 2-3 MPG.

I think the new Impreza isn't equiped as nicely as the Kizashi. The materials inside the Kizzy and quietness beats the Impreza.

As for resale - I bought my car used w/ 50K miles for ~ 40% off 2012 MSRP. Since there's so few Suzuki dealers out there I understand this pricing may vary greatly. And if you're worried about resale value go Honda. The Honda Civic was boring as all get out to drive. But, Honda's are known to hold their values better than any other car.

Can't yet comment on the AWD. I've tried it on dry and wet pavements. Looking forward to this coming winter to really test it out. I've had many Subarus and their AWD systems are always solid. I was told the Kizzy uses an AWD similar to the Nissan Skyline. If so there's certainly nothing to worry about there.
Bromeo

that's good to hear MNSLS, because I've heard of many cars out there that claim to be awd, when in fact it's fwd with really weak rear wheels that have little to no power (please dont let this be the Kizashi :? )... Speaking of awd, has anyone seen youtube videos of suzuki's Sx4 Crossover? I hope the Kizashi's awd system will perform as well as the sx4 crossover.
Ronzuki

I own both, and it performs great in the snow. The only differeence is the SX4 has a 4-wheel lock mode which the Kiz does not. The Kiz will go like all get out, with unbelievable handling and control. The issue w/ the Kizashi is ground clearance. I'd say 6-maybe 8 inches of unplowed snow is about the limit for a GTS or SLS depending on how wet it is. Once the vehicle floats up on top of the snow, its weight is transfered off the wheels, you lose traction and you're done. Plowed snow covered roads don't phase it...might as well be wet. Stopping however is always the concern.... AWD or 4WD can make you think your invincible, until you have to stop.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)