Kizashi TPMS

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KIZAWDinKC

I've owned my 2010 Kizashi AWD GTS for exactly 2 years now. I love the car because I think it has some good stuff on it for the cost, and it's got AWD which has worked great for me in snow. The only complaint I've had is the freaking TPMS & tires!

Anyhow, in 2 years, I've fought two problems with leakey tire valves. Had one TPMS replaced under warranty. This year, same thing was happening on another tire (leakey valve), plus I had another tire that had been repaired earlier. In addition, the Dunlops had inner wear on the fronts (alignment issue). I just decided the hell with it, and broke down and just bought a set of new tires for the car. Hancooks. They seem like great tires.

So here's my situation now. I made the mistake of having Sears in Kansas City put tires on my car. During the tire change, the expert tire changer busted a TPMS sensor clear off the rim. Of course, he denied doing it (and scratched my rims too). Thankfully, Sears put a new sensor in for me, free of charge. Problem resolved? NO. So, the expert tire changer didn't reprogram the new TPMS. Going home, the "Service TPMS" indicator comes on. I had to take it back to Sears the next week to explain what I think had happened and if they could reset the system and reprogram (hoping the tire changer didn't damage another sensor).

Long story short, Sears finally admitted that they just didn't have the right scan tool to reset the TPMS or program a new one. Basically, I came to the conclusion that a corporate auto service actually will not stand by their work. PERIOD. :evil: :evil: So now, I gotta take it to a Suzuki dealership and have them program the darn thing because it requires a tool to do it, unlike other vehicles. And hope that just reprogramming is the only issue.

Every issue I've had has been TPMS and the Rockford subwoofer. Seems like it's just Mickey Mouse problems with the car that require trips to the dealership, but yet nothing major has ever happened with the vehicle. Drives great, runs great, brakes great, runs like a champ. **NOTE**: So before any of you get new tires on your Kiz, be sure to find out from the tire service what they will do if they break a TPMS sensor and if they can reprogram the Suzuki as well. Either Sears can't because they are a cheap outfit with no tools, or the people working there are just incompetent. Either one, but I think both.

But if anyone can find a way to disable the TPMS or reprogram without a tool or know of a cheap tool to buy, please post. Otherwise, as soon as the Kiz has a TPMS problem, either you have to live with the annoying orange dash lights flashing, or take time off work or on a weekend to drive to a dealership to deal with the stupid annoying pointless TPMS. I like the Kizashi, but the TPMS alone has seriously made me consider getting rid of the car.
chazyouwin

I have winter tires on winter wheels with four TPMS purchased at Tire Rack, and the original Dunlops are on the original Suzuki wheels. The last couple of times I have just gone to the Suzuki dealer to change the wheel/tires. The cost of the change has been under $30 including the TPMS reprogramming which is included in the changeover.
Yeah, annoying to have to go to the dealer, but to go to the more local tire place it would be $24 plus tax but plus an extra $30 or so ("and up") reprogramming charge. So this is the one case where going to the dealer has brought me out ahead. And the local tire guy claims that the TPMS issue is not specific to Suzuki - it is a problem with all manufacturers.
The difficulty is that the federal government saw fit to require TPMS technology in all new cars before it was technically proven. This isn't necessarily Suzuki's fault, but you do cure the problem by going to Suzuki dealer for tire-related work.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
KIZAWDinKC

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be taking it to the dealership.

It was just a bizarre experience for me. I was just in disbelief that a corporate auto chain (Sears) just shrugged their shoulders. I'm sure they see other Suzukis and would have programmed those. But maybe the particular Sears I was at just has a bunch of idiots working there. One would think a corporate outlet with $ to spend on overhead could just go get the right scan tools for any vehicle in existence. These people at Sears Auto acted like they've never seen TPMS before.
chazyouwin

Whenever I've strayed from battery replacement to something infinitely more complex at our local Sears in Livingston NJ, like tire changing, I've run into problems. They don't get the lugs on right, they don't stock the right parts yet tell you they do, all kinds of odd things. The lesson I learned from many years of experience is that while convenient and pleasant inasmuch as you can go shopping in the adjoining mall while you wait, the experience is likely to be unpleasant.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
Blackbelt

I love my Kizzy but i HATE what they did with the cursed TPMS. WHY couldn't they simply do what they did in the SX4? A simple little indicator light in the gauge flashes for 30 seconds, then stays lit. Simple and easy. I dont run tpms on my summer rims on my SX4, because the light is easy enough to ignore after a few minutes of driving. Not so the Kizzy. BAD BAD BAD execution on Suzuki's part in the Kizashi.
I run the stock rims year round and have the dealer dismount and remount my winter tires in the spring and the fall. Costs $40 each time, but is still cheaper than buying 4 rims and 4 TPMS sensors and reprogramming them.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
KIZFAN2

Thank god that the Canadian models do not have the TPMS installed. It would have been a nightmare with my winter tires.
2011 Kizashi SX
pidru

KIZFAN2,

What trim and year is your Kizashi? I have a Canadian 2012 Kizashi SX and always thought that I have TPMS. I've checked the brochure and you are right TPMS is not an option.
KIZFAN2

I have a 2011 SLS. You only get TPMS if you request/pay extra.

We aren't missing much, it does not tell you which tire is low, just that one of the tires is low.

Plus with the frequent swapping of winter tires, you don't want to be messing around with sensors every time.
2011 Kizashi SX
murcod

It isn't even an option in Australia.
David
chazyouwin

TPMS has been required in the U.S. for all new cars sold. This came about because the Ford Explorer had some well publicized blow-outs and deaths linked to low tire pressure. A problem is that the TPMS technology is still not well developed and is not standardized.

Those elsewhere may consider themselves lucky that they are not required to pay for a technology that might save only a few lives per year.