Smart Key

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
kujo1992

So as of right now if i want to leave my kizzy running, I have to use the actual key to lock the door for some kind of peace of mind. As far as I can tell Honda and Suzuki are the only 2 that if the fob is not in range that the vehicle does not shut off from depressing the brake pedal,opening the door or locking the shifter etc. The dealer is looking into a way to make a safety cuttoff. Probably can't happen. So I am sure thieves know which car makers do not need a fob to drive away. Can't wait to visit Detroit. :o
Ronzuki

The insurance companys and law enforcement frown upon folks leaving unattended vehicles running. I believe it is actually against the law in some places. Just sayin'...
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I would simply not let my car be idling without me being in the car.
I understand that warming up the car first in cold climates is desirable, but that's more for human comfort, not for the car.

In the old days, people had to warm up their engine first in cold weather so the oil would reach a temperature to properly lubricate the engine. This no longer applies much because oil these days are multi-grade unlike the oils of yesteryear that were single-grade. It's why oils went from something like SAE 30 grade to say 5W-30. The 5 is the viscosity rating when the oil is cold and 30 is the grade when it is warmed up to normal operating temp for the engine. This means the oil protects even when cold since its properties allows for flow in different temperatures.

So leaving your engine running to warm up is really rather outdated, much like the other common outdated belief about oil: oil changes every 3000 miles. This used to be the standard for engines decades ago, but with advanced oils, additives in the oils, and better engine tolerances, it no longer applies to most engines or driving conditions anymore.

Lastly, about carjacking. Let me put my 2 cents in since I actually work in the field of criminal law and have firsthand experience in these kinds of crimes from the legal perspective:
Our Kizashis would be rather low on the list of desired cars to carjack. The vehicle's unpopularity and low resale value are two reasons why criminals would prefer other cars to target. Professional car thieves need to steal cars that are valuable to make their efforts worthwhile. Otherwise, they are risking capture, injury, or death for little monetary reward. The majority of experienced, older car thieves would never carjack. It's simply too risky. They are more likely to non-violently steal your parked car (of high value). Smart professionals actually use tow trucks and pretend to tow legitimately.

The majority of carjackers are younger (16 to 21, mainly) and target cars they would like to joyride or sell for some value. They will almost always target an automatic transmission car. There have been many cases of carjackers stealing a manual trans. car and not being able to drive it. One of the main reasons is that many carjackers are young and simply never learned to drive stick.
It is actually well known that a manual transmission is the best deterrent against car theft. Many thieves don't know how to drive them and their value on the black market is also lower because of lower desirability. This makes them something that thieves would rather avoid.
Even if you have an automatic Kizashi, the fact that it's a Suzuki makes it something most thieves would rather ignore for a "nicer" (more popular) car like a Camry, Accord, etc. These cars have parts values that are also more valuable for chop shops.

So, just keep your doors locked and never idle your car without being in it. Chances of actually getting carjacked are pretty low for a Kizashi owner given all the flashy Cadillacs, Lexuses, and popular Accords and Camrys on the road.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Moto
Site Admin

You don't live where it is cold enough. :)

You should try northern MN or ND. It is sometimes necessary to run your car for few min before you really drive it. I don't have an auto start in any of my cars, and I usually don't let them warm up much, but I always baby it for few min. I have had several manual transmission cars actually move forward in neutral when you push the clutch in when it is really cold. (When it is -20f or colder the fluid is so thick it can actually move the car.) Even with full synthetic motor oil in my mazda it sounds nasty for the first 10-20 seconds if it has been sitting more than a day or two.

Synthetic manual transmission gear oil usually helps with the problem mentioned above.

Manual trans is probably one of the best ways to stop someone from taking your car, but I did find that someone was trying to get into my mazda at one point. I had left a spare key in the ignition and a camera on the seat. (My town if very safe it is not uncommon) They couldn't have been very good at picking locks because they did not get the door open, but the messed up the weather striping on the window. I sort of have a feeling they were after the camera and not the car, but I figured they would have just broke the window out of they wanted the camera.

Like most of you, my cars would be stupid to steal because they are very rare in my area. (Bright yellow Mazda Protege5 and a Saab 92x Aero are going to be easy to find.) There are zero look alikes in my town of about 60K
KuroNekko

I think someone once tried to break into my 2002 Legacy wagon (Why? Go target an Escalade, thug.). Like yours, they did not get in, but the weather strip was damaged so looked to be an amateur with a coat hanger or slim jim. Nothing in view to steal inside other than the not flashy aftermarket head unit.

Anyhow, yes, I have not lived in ND or MN, but I used to live in the mountains of Southern California. Now, it doesn't get crazy cold like -20, but the mountains get lots of snow every year. Ice and black ice are common. Chains are required. The mountain life is NOTHING like living "down the hill" in So Cal.

Synthetics are known to perform better in the weather extremes (both cold and hot) and when you are dealing with really cold climates, changing the grade of oil is also recommended. If I lived out in ND, MN, or Canada, I would use a full synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30, but not start the engine and then leave my car. Once spring came around, I would switch back to a full syn 5W-30.
Northernstar

Why not just stick with 0W20??
jono6406

All keyless entry and push button starts are all the same....Once started anyone can then drive it away until it's turned off. My Cadillac also had remote start inwhich the car started and idled for a max of 10 minutes but would not go in gear until you got in the car an touched the start button which would allow me to then drive it away.
KuroNekko

Northernstar wrote:Why not just stick with 0W20??
It's rather too thin for the engine in hot or warm weather. The engine calls for 5W-30 in most conditions. If an oil is too thin for a given temperature, then it may not adequately lubricate the engine components resulting in higher internal temperatures and of course, more wear.

Ambient temperatures have a lot of effect on an engine, especially the surface heat. I remember one time taking a road trip from Southern California to Washington State in March. I drove all night through the Oregon/Washington countryside where there was still snow. I drove the car for several hours on the highway before stopping to get gas. Despite the long drive, the engine was so cooled by the cold ambient air that I could touch it and leave my hand on it.
Doing the same to the engine in a Southern California summer would result in burns on your hand.
It showed me how much the air entering the engine compartment via the grill can have an effect on surface engine temperature.

For this reason, it's good to use the best oil viscosity for the ambient temperature.
Northernstar

KuroNekko wrote:
Northernstar wrote:Why not just stick with 0W20??
It's rather too thin for the engine in hot or warm weather. The engine calls for 5W-30 in most conditions. If an oil is too thin for a given temperature, then it may not adequately lubricate the engine components resulting in higher internal temperatures and of course, more wear.

Ambient temperatures have a lot of effect on an engine, especially the surface heat. I remember one time taking a road trip from Southern California to Washington State in March. I drove all night through the Oregon/Washington countryside where there was still snow. I drove the car for several hours on the highway before stopping to get gas. Despite the long drive, the engine was so cooled by the cold ambient air that I could touch it and leave my hand on it.
Doing the same to the engine in a Southern California summer would result in burns on your hand.
It showed me how much the air entering the engine compartment via the grill can have an effect on surface engine temperature.

For this reason, it's good to use the best oil viscosity for the ambient temperature.
oh yeah totally forgot you guys are in the southern states. In northern Alberta where I live, it gets to -40 during winter and around +30 during summer so 0W20 actually works perfect for me year round. But if you live in california, then 5W30 would be more desirable since it isn't that cold during winter.
fjroman2

Maybe I missed something...I don't have this issue where I have to let the car warm up, but what if you had both keys with you. Start the car, leave one key inside and hold the other key with you so you can lock the door. Would that work, or not because the other key would enable someone to open the door?
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)