Fuel Economy - manual transmission

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
murcod

ipaqxman wrote:Do you plan to reset the average speed with each tank?
No, although it reset itself a month or so back when I had the battery disconnected :( .

I'm more interested in using that readout for the long term average, rather than what I get from each tank.
David
murcod

Last tank BP98 octane - calculated 9.28l/100km , trip computer sitting on 8.8l/100km (long term average). All suburban driving with no long trips. (I may have filled the tank a little bit fuller than normal, but it will even out long term)
David
murcod

Since I began monitoring I've traveled 3363km (98% suburban/ city, generally not long distance trips and I live in a hilly area).

The trip computer is sitting on 8.8l/100km and the calculated usage for that period is 9.28l/100km.

That's using BP Ultimate 98RON.

Edit - ironically, they are exactly the same figures as what I achieved back in May in my last post! The trip computer lost it's long term average (in between May and now) when I replaced the battery- but is sitting on the same figure.
David
AlexRuiz

Mine is also too optimistic on the MPG estimate. I have found it to be as high as 3.2 mpg higher than what the simple division of miles / gallons indicates, most of the times 2.1 mpg higher.

A big factor also in the fuel economy is the tires. I changed tires fairly recently and I saw my fuel economy plummet just because of the new tires. I had the original Dunlop SP Sport 7000 V rated 215-60/R16 and replaced them with Cooper Zeon RS3-A 225-55/R16. Just in the fist tank I noticed a decrease of aprox 10-12%. Given the additional tire width, I would have expected 5-7%, but the Zeons gave a big hit.

Granted, the RS3-A are a better, probably much better performance tire, incredible in the dry, amazing in the rain, worse in the snow (expected), quieter, but the hit in the wallet is felt nonetheless.

Now, with that out of the way:

SP sport 7000 215, summer: 29.4 mpg avg combined, was able to pull 33 mpg on highway driving.
SP sport 7000 215, winter: 27.2 mpg avg combined, close to 30mpg on mostly highway.

RS3-A 225, summer: 27.3 mpg avg combined, was able to pull 30 mpg one time pure highway driving, 70mph, driving like a grandpa.
RS3-A 225, winter: 25.4 mpg avg combined... ouch!

Gas is usually regular 87 octane unleaded in SE Michigan with higher alcohol content. For driving habits, I have an extremely hard time driving the car easy, I always take the ramps and the twists as if I was racing :oops:
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
murcod

That's interesting- I have also changed tyres (and sizes) during that period but still have the same average. I went from 215/55R17 to 235/50R17.

I was expecting there to be a change in economy, but it's still the same.
David
murcod

I should have mentioned that I also changed the rims to a light weight model at the same time as the tyre size increase. So, overall I think the total weight was 0.5kg less with the new wheel/ tyre package per wheel compared to the factory wheel. That probably has a beneficial effect -given I do a lot of suburban driving.

Your tyres might be heavier than the originals which wouldn't help? From a quick search you've possibly gained 2lbs per tyre? (~1kg) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs http://www.discounttirezone.com/COOPER- ... _5568.html
David
AlexRuiz

murcod wrote:I should have mentioned that I also changed the rims to a light weight model at the same time as the tyre size increase. So, overall I think the total weight was 0.5kg less with the new wheel/ tyre package per wheel compared to the factory wheel. That probably has a beneficial effect -given I do a lot of suburban driving.

Your tyres might be heavier than the originals which wouldn't help? From a quick search you've possibly gained 2lbs per tyre? (~1kg) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs http://www.discounttirezone.com/COOPER- ... _5568.html
Yes, the new tires are quite heavier, and not by 2 pounds. They are a good chunk heavier, 6-7 lbs each.

Still, even at 40lbs more, there is no way I should be losing >2mpg. The new tires are stickier, that is what I think is making the biggest difference.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
murcod

I went from stock Yoko dB E70's to Pirelli P Zero Assymertrics - so probably a similar difference? Weight at the outer edge of the wheel assembly will have a greater effect on rotational inertia ( I think that's the correct term?)
Here's a bit on it regarding fuel economy: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... -4508.html
David
SamirD

AlexRuiz wrote:Gas is usually regular 87 octane unleaded in SE Michigan with higher alcohol content.
This got me thinking--do you think Suzuki ran the EPA tests with non-ethanol fuel? I know ethanol fuels contribute to lower mileage numbers in most cars.
murcod

I'd imagine it would be stipulated that the same fuel type had to be used by all manufacturers for the test- otherwise they could do all sorts of things and bias the results.
David