Fuel Economy - manual transmission

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
murcod

I was going to tack this info onto an already open fuel economy thread, but figured it would be best to start my own.

I decided to start logging fuel usage to verify if the engine is as efficient as the trip computer would have me believe. All of my driving (just over 5500km since new) is city/ suburban. I normally "go with the flow" but give it squirts every now and again - I'm certainly not the type of driver that's going 5km/h under the limit holding other drivers up.

I've been using BP Ultimate 98 Octane exclusively since buying the Kizashi new and (as stated in the title) it's a manual transmission - not CVT.

First tank 581km, 52.67l to fill tank = 9.07l/100km . The trip computer hasn't been reset for a while and sits on 8.7 to 8.8l/100km - so fairly accurate.

I'll keep updating this post as I cover more mileage. The overall figures will obviously become more accurate with further time.
David
ipaqxman

I am interested to know with each tank, what your average mph is on dash display. If other people can chime in too with corresponding mpg and mph, that'd be great.

I have horrid mpg at about 20 mpg, despite what I believe to be mixed driving. But my computer average speed is 20 mph, which apparently is much lower than most people here. EPA city driving is rated at 21 mph average, so I guess it's correct that my "mixed driving" mpg is so bad? I have a hard time believing that I am idling so much despite not living in the city city, but I guess the computer doesn't lie.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
murcod

I'll try to remember to check and post it up tomorrow.
David
klement

I have been tracking the real consumption for the past 2 years I own the kizzy, and on average(over 26 fuelings), the computer reports a lower consumption by 0.47l/100km, it *never* reported higher consumption than the real one, and only in one case it was equal to the real consumption. The highest difference was 0.83l/100km.

I have a CVT though, but I'd say the method by which the computer figures out the consumption is the same.

Do not forget that mpg is a logarithmic scale. So between 15 and 16 mpg (15.68-14.7=0.98l/100km difference) there is much bigger difference then between say 20 and 21mpg (11.76-11.2=0.56l/100km difference). What I mean to say is that for comparison purposes, it's probably better compare l/100km values.

In case anybody is interested in the numbers, here's a link to part of my evidence:

Speed_Racer

I have a 6MT. After a tank, the computer is usually about a mpg higher than the actual.

Feel free to follow me on Fuelly if you'd like:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/RecarDeeps
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

I also got a manual and here are my observations:

I typically average 24 to 25 mpg on what is a mix of 30% city and 70% highway. There is highway stop-and-go traffic mixed in there that would make the fuel economy go down despite being considered "highway" driving.

My car's mpg display consistently reports almost an even 2 mpg over the actual. For example, my car will state 28 mpg average on a tank when in miles divided by gallons, it's 26 mpg. The car has consistently reported 2 mpg over ever since I got it and has done so regardless of fuel brand or driving conditions. I reset the average mpg and average speed display at every fill up.
I can say with confidence that my car's mpg display is off by 2 mpg.

Lastly, it is known that miles per gallon is an inferior measure of fuel economy compared to liters consumed per 100km (or for Americans, it would be gallons consumed per 100 miles).
MPG basically allows us to have misconceptions about fuel economy and most importantly, confuses us on comparative (car vs. another car) fuel economy and savings.
Here are some articles explaining why:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4324986
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/101 ... ally-it-is

25 mpg is roughly 9.41 liters per 100 km.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ah_Perth

I have a CVT. I have found the fuel computer is optimistic by between 5 and 7%.
murcod

Average speed is 36km/h
David
ipaqxman

Do you plan to reset the average speed with each tank?

Wow. 22 mph, yet with a 26 mpg tank. Now I am back to thinking there is something wrong with my car lol... sigh. Runs great on the highway but at a light going from the stop, the instant MPG is like 2 lol. Meh.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
WESHOOT2

14.856 gallons of Mobil premium; went 431.5 miles.

(29+ MPG!)

'11 S AWD CVT w/snows....