HID Question

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Soviet

Hey guys I'm new to the forums, and I had a question. I just purchased 6k 35Watt, HID kit (white w/ blue tinge). My question is, could I have used 55watt instead of 35Watt on Suzuki 2011? Here's a link where I bought them for anyone that is interested.
http://www.hidxenonconversionkit.com/ki ... ashi-2012/
KuroNekko

Yes, you could use a 55W kit, but they are generally not recommended for a number of reasons.

First, they burn out quicker. I have read that 55W kits do not last as long and have faster bulb and ballast failure than 35W kits. Not sure if it's true, but something I have read.

Second, HIDs were originally designed to be 35W. Because of this, bulb color temperature was optimized for 35W, not 55W. 55W kits have an issue called color washout because the extra power washes out the intended color. Basically, a 8000K 55W kit won't be as blue as a 35W of the same 8000K color temp because of the washout. The extra wattage makes the light too bright and the color more white than rated by color temp.

Third, OEM HIDs are traditionally 35W. HIDs were designed to output more light while using less power. Less power consumed means less strain on the engine and alternator. Theoretically, it's supposed to make the engine work less, give you more power, and save you fuel. Realistically, the difference would be minuscule. Regardless, HIDs were supposed to originally be 35W.

Keep in mind that the Kizashis sold in North America do not have factory HID. This means that HID bulbs will be going into projector housings not designed for an HID bulb. While the light output will still be good and bright, a 55W system may output more light than you want (especially for oncoming traffic) if not aim optimally. Having headlights that are too bright may bring unwanted attention from the police. If they find out you have an HID kit, you can get cited as they are technically illegal for road use.

Personally, I would keep the 35W 6000K kit. I actually have the same in my car. The light output is good and bright, yet I have not been flashed by oncoming traffic to alert me that my headlights are in their eyes or too bright. I have not been bothered by the police either.

Side note: When I was in Japan, I saw some nice JDM HID kits at an autoparts store. Some even had variable wattage switches that allowed the driver to control the HID kit output wattage from 25W (for "dress up" lighting) to 35W (normal) to 55W (for max power).
Basically 3 different wattages in one kit. Pretty sweet.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Soviet

Thanks mate, good information. Now when I get my kit, It better be German quality as it states on the website! If it's not, I'm going to rage at the consumer. I think I bought it from a questionable dealer. I read some reviews about what kind of experience people had with them and some said they had no problem while some had nothing but problems.

Good thing I got 35w then. I hope its not ' too bluish ' where it looks like ricer civics lol.
I'll post my kizashi pics later ;D
KuroNekko

Soviet wrote:Thanks mate, good information. Now when I get my kit, It better be German quality as it states on the website! If it's not, I'm going to rage at the consumer. I think I bought it from a questionable dealer. I read some reviews about what kind of experience people had with them and some said they had no problem while some had nothing but problems.

Good thing I got 35w then. I hope its not ' too bluish ' where it looks like ricer civics lol.
I'll post my kizashi pics later ;D
If you got 6000K, you will have a crisp, white light with a hint of blue. It's pretty much white. 4300K is also white, but less blue and closer to yellow. It's a warmer white. 4300K is what OEM HID tend to be.

Also, I checked out your seller's site. For the price, I really have my suspicions regarding their claim that they are using German bulbs and ballasts with Japanese parts. The mix and match of German and Japanese parts don't really make sense to me.
The price is pretty much indicative of a Chinese kit. Regardless, it should still work.
Mine is a Chinese kit (came with the car so I did not select or install it), but it works well.

Real German or Japanese kits typically cost over $250.
The primo German HID bulbs are made by Philips.

From my research, the best HID kits are German Philips. Some real JDM ones are good too but they are hard to find outside of Japan. McCulloch kits are also said to be decent, but not as good as Philips.
Northernstar

I have 55W 6000K on my car but I would recommend sticking to 35W though. 55W is just way too bright. I have the chinese kit as well, cost me something like $60 w/ lifetime warranty.
KuroNekko

55W definitely interests me for the raw output power, but it's not something I would want all the time, especially in the city or areas where there are other cars.
Blinding others from being too bright is not a good thing. I have also read that 55W kits have bulbs that burn out much quicker than 35W.

I would personally love to have an advanced HID kit like the one I saw in Japan that has variable wattage output for different uses. Basically, 55W when you want it like on rural or mountain roads, 35W for normal use, and 25W for accenting the car like position bulbs.