Cadillac ATS/CTS vs Kizashi SLS AWD

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
red rider

I had written a few weeks ago about possibly getting a different car due to my perceived engine noise annoyance. So, I continued researching, finally, this past weekend, I test drove a Cadillac 2014 ATS RWD with the 3.6 V engine and 6 speed AT. Dimensionally, the car is very similar to the Kizashi, the interior room is slightly smaller and the back seat and trunk are appreciably smaller than my car which is a turn off for us since we do several road trips and luggage and seating capacity is important.
The car's steering felt tight and responsive, the car had Magnetic Ride Control and switchable modes, touring, sport and snow and ice.
The car accelerated very fast but I wasn't used to the shift shock from the AT. The brakes were solid and stopped the car in short order. It handled the corners that I encountered well but the car felt a little higher then I'm used to. Overall, I liked the car but was a little put off by the space tightness.
The salesman then suggested that I test drive a CTS, standard trim with the 2.0T. The car was white with light platinum leather with black accents and wood trim. It felt luxurious and it was beautiful. Dimensionally, this car is slightly larger, longer by almost a foot, 6 " longer wheel base and 5 cu feet more interior volume, the trunk is closer to the Kizashi, 13.7 VS 13.3. Felt more open, spacious, likely due the interior colors as well. Took the same test route, the Turbo was awesome, a huge rush of torque which made the 6 sp AT almost seem CVT "like" since you hardly felt the shifts. This car did not have MRC but sporting mode, again good handling, strong brakes, composed, confident ride.
The CTS was actually closer to what I already have. However, the styling and detail, appointments were really nice but expensive.
Despite this experience this weekend, I have the lingering reservation that the Kizashi in all wheel mode and in manual would keep up with these cars in the corners and would feel more grounded, if that makes any sense.
I am disappointed that my car in excellent condition and with low miles, @ 34K would be worth 10-12K for trade in purpose. So, part of my motivation is partly to take advantage of whatever rapidly disappearing equity I have and roll it over into another vehicle that really appeals to me stylistically and that handles well. So, there it sits, this has been a really difficult process since the Kizashi has such a level of detail and refinement, fun to drive quotient and value that is really hard to beat.
murcod

We don't get them in Australia, so I just had a look at the Cadillac website. They both look extremely nice inside with very distinctive exteriors. Lots of interesting features too. I have to say, the interiors of US vehicles have come a long way.

It's interesting that you had to get to the CTS to get enough space. I know a few years ago they were looking at selling it here and I got the impression that it would have been the next size up to a Kizashi.
David
Ronzuki

Your 10-12k they're showing you for the Kiz is flat-out too high. Offset by how far above their actual cost is for the CTS. Figure the Kiz is actually worth @9k in reality as a trade (this is what the auctions around here are dictating and all a dealer will actually account for). I have solid insider information on this number. Then decide if you're 'happy' with the price of that caddy. I played the same game with one of the Jeep dealers as an experiment, not that I ever had any intention of getting rid of my beloved Kizashi. With trade, Jeep price over-inflated (@$800 below MSRP). Without trade, 2% below invoice. 4dr Wranglers are not something dealers need to discount at all to sell keep in mind. So if your goal is to get equity out of the Kizashi by trading it, forget about it, there is none. Sell it private or keep it and enjoy it for what it is. Especially since you desire to give it away for a lousy over-priced GM product.

I'm curious, how was that snazzy GM dealership experience? Make-overs are being completed on every GM dealership around here. A measure forced upon dealerships by Gov Motors directly, costing the dealers (and you) 1 to 2 million per store, need it or not, want to or not, depending on size and existing bldg. configuration.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

One thing that surprised me was the number of options you could select- three or more different engines, RWD or AWD, manual or auto trans, about 4 different interior trim levels etc. It's mind boggling compared to what we can get here (even on the locally produced models.)
David
KuroNekko

The Cadillac CTS is now a BMW 5 Series fighter or at least trying to be. It's now bigger and more powerful and also more costly. While the 2.0 T engine may seem like it's more a 3 Series rival, it's carried over from the ATS.

The new ATS is closer to the Kizashi though still more performance and luxury-oriented and priced as such.

I personally like the new Cadillacs and find the ATS quite appealing. That being said, these 2.0 T engines are too new to determine their long term reliability and longevity. For that reason, I'd wait a few years to see how they hold up unless I was leasing one.
murcod wrote:One thing that surprised me was the number of options you could select- three or more different engines, RWD or AWD, manual or auto trans, about 4 different interior trim levels etc. It's mind boggling compared to what we can get here (even on the locally produced models.)
It's mainly because Cadillac is now trying to be a serious rival to German sports sedans. They are trying to offer more powertrain choices much like the Germans do. Cadillacs in the US used to be seen as luxury cruisers for the elderly and rappers. They are desperately trying to change that image and have offered great performance-oriented vehicles in the recent years.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

That makes sense. So they're trying to compete with (for example) the 3 series range (eg. 320, 328 etc) but without designating individual models like BMW does. It's good how it allows a lot of customisation - instead of what we get here with the one model vehicle sold with four set trim levels. You end up paying for bits you might not necessarily want to get a certain engine or interior.
David
~tc~

Kizashi will be paid off at the end of the year, will spend next year looking for a replacement. ATS is high on the list.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Knightstruth

I like the look of the ATS but I would not buy one brand new. Caddies drop in value quick, pay 40,000 today worth 20,000 tomorrow.
Moto
Site Admin

Agree... If you want a Cadillac you can generally wait for the owners to die... or trade up the following year. I saw a V6 AWD CTS wagon with under 5000 miles on the clock that was about 12k off the price it went out the door for a year earlier. That car still sat on the lot for ages.
~tc~

All cars lose value quick.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic