Rear ended

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
sentinel1075

Got into a rear ender yesterday. Doh.
Attachments
Photo 2015-01-19, 5 44 12 PM.jpg
Photo 2015-01-19, 5 44 12 PM.jpg (166.72 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Photo 2015-01-19, 5 43 49 PM.jpg
Photo 2015-01-19, 5 43 49 PM.jpg (188.78 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Knightstruth

sentinel1075 wrote:Got into a rear ender yesterday. Doh.
Darn! Happened to me around a week ago. I wonder what your estimate will be.

I think there is conspiracy to get kizashi's off the road so people are just rear ending them. :P
bootymac

Shit! Where'd it happen?
sentinel1075

HWY1 Eastbound
sentinel1075

Bodyshop Estimated $6000 of damage which was what I had guessed. But all paid by insurance since i wasn't at fault. With parts hard to find it will be a month or so. Which makes me think that I should change cars after it's been fixed however I will definitely loose money because of the accident.

I stayed with Suzuki because it was reliable.

But I got hit by a full size SUV which barely got a scratch on it so may my next vehicle will be an SUV.
Knightstruth

Mine was $8100. Make sure you seek a diminished value claim, that should help if you ever want to sell the car.

I got hit by a dodge dakota, and I thought my car held up well. Yours doesn't seem too bad either for an suv hitting it.
KuroNekko

sentinel1075 wrote:
But I got hit by a full size SUV which barely got a scratch on it so may my next vehicle will be an SUV.
Don't fall for the fallacy that SUVs are better or safer. They aren't necessarily. The reason why most SUV-to-car crashes like this does little damage to SUVs is largely due to the difference in bumper height, not some sort of structural superiority. While the laws of physics will favor a heavier car in vehicle-to-vehicle crashes, in single vehicle crashes, they don't always fare better. This is especially true of SUVs.

Also, SUVs have a higher center or gravity which means they handle worse than sedans and are more susceptible to roll-overs. They have compromised emergency handling and will roll over much easier than lower vehicles.
Fatality rates consistently show that SUVs aren't the safest vehicles on the road. It's actually minivans. Even crash test ratings show that midsize sedans and large sedans fare better than many SUVs of any size. Even our Kizashis have superior crash test ratings than most SUVs on the market.

Also, while gas prices in the USA are very low now and spurring a lot of truck and SUV sales, it's not going to be permanent. In a few years (or less), it can go back up to $4.50 a gallon like it was in 2007. So while the cost of ownership may be reasonable for a gas-guzzler now, it is very much subject to change.

Now, don't mistake me for some anti-SUV person. I'm not and as a former offroader, real SUVs and 4x4 have a special place in my heart. However, these don't make great road vehicles for everyday use for most people. Fullsize SUVs rarely make sense unless you're one that needs 4x4 and 7+ seating capacity and towing capabilities.
It seems that in the US, there are more SUVs on the road than there needs to be.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KIZFAN2

KuroNekko wrote:
sentinel1075 wrote:
Don't fall for the fallacy that SUVs are better or safer. They aren't necessarily. The reason why most SUV-to-car crashes like this does little damage to SUVs is largely due to the difference in bumper height, not some sort of structural superiority. While the laws of physics will favor a heavier car in vehicle-to-vehicle crashes, in single vehicle crashes, they don't always fare better. This is especially true of SUVs.

Also, SUVs have a higher center or gravity which means they handle worse than sedans and are more susceptible to roll-overs. They have compromised emergency handling and will roll over much easier than lower vehicles.
Fatality rates consistently show that SUVs aren't the safest vehicles on the road. It's actually minivans. Even crash test ratings show that midsize sedans and large sedans fare better than many SUVs of any size. Even our Kizashis have superior crash test ratings than most SUVs on the market.

Also, while gas prices in the USA are very low now and spurring a lot of truck and SUV sales, it's not going to be permanent. In a few years (or less), it can go back up to $4.50 a gallon like it was in 2007. So while the cost of ownership may be reasonable for a gas-guzzler now, it is very much subject to change.

Now, don't mistake me for some anti-SUV person. I'm not and as a former offroader, real SUVs and 4x4 have a special place in my heart. However, these don't make great road vehicles for everyday use for most people. Fullsize SUVs rarely make sense unless you're one that needs 4x4 and 7+ seating capacity and towing capabilities.
It seems that in the US, there are more SUVs on the road than there needs to be.
People will dream of $4.50 per gallon when oil rebounds.
2011 Kizashi SX
KuroNekko

KIZFAN2 wrote:
People will dream of $4.50 per gallon when oil rebounds.
Well, you're Canadian, right? In the US, $4.50 a gallon is really steep, even for California. It's insane to think I used to pay that several years ago when I just got gas last night for $1.97 a gallon.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KIZFAN2

Big oil will start cutting workforce and projects until they hinder production enough to cause a shortage (a perceived one). Once that happens, there will be a brief period before they ramp up where oil prices will sky rocket.

Until then, I plan to enjoy low gas prices and cash in on the rebound :)
2011 Kizashi SX