Found out why my Kizashi was a bit lethargic

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
golftango

I've always felt my Kizashi was a bit lethargic, really needed to wind the engine out for decent response. My hypothesis is that it wasn't breathing well. I decided to look at the stock intake for obvious issues, cracks, blockage etc. Then I noticed that the fresh air inlet duct gets air from between the hood lip and grille (#19 below.) There should be a good gap there, but not on my Kizashi because "Suzuki bug-defector/hood guard". It drastically reduces the amount of air that gets to the intake.

So I removed it and I don't know if it's a placebo effect but it definitely feels peppier. :?: :drive:

2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
bootymac

Been a while since I've seen a Kizashi engine bay but I believe the front of the hood is sealed against the top of the bumper. The intake draws air from the space in front of the radiator through the vents around the hood latch.
golftango

You know what you may be correct. Should there be a rubber seal where the nylon fasteners are located for the shield?

bootymac

Yes, there should be a rubber seal there. Suzuki calls it "front weatherstripping" with part number 7234175H00.

https://monsterfactoryparts.com/parts/2 ... eid=217481
KuroNekko

It's not the deflector that is causing it. As Bootymac said, the intake is designed to draw air from the grill. You certainly have weather stripping missing which is likely causing the air to escape instead of being efficiently funneled into your intake.

I also have the hood deflector and it made absolutely no difference in performance before and after installation.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

I should also add that the hood seals against the bumper to prevent the engine bay from pressurizing. A low pressure engine bay creates a larger pressure differential which helps increase air flow through the radiator
golftango

KuroNekko wrote:It's not the deflector that is causing it. As Bootymac said, the intake is designed to draw air from the grill. You certainly have weather stripping missing which is likely causing the air to escape instead of being efficiently funneled into your intake.

I also have the hood deflector and it made absolutely no difference in performance before and after installation.
Kuro, is your weatherstripping installed with the deflector? I can't see both being installed together.
KuroNekko

Yes, installed together. I installed it myself. Did your Kizashi not come with the weatherstripping? Did it come with the deflector?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
golftango

KuroNekko wrote:Yes, installed together. I installed it myself. Did your Kizashi not come with the weatherstripping? Did it come with the deflector?
I purchased it with the deflector. Not seeing any weatherstripping. Guess I'll have to order it. Thanks!
dslatsh

Is this what it should look like?
Attachments
20160715_150107.jpg
20160715_150107.jpg (247.99 KiB) Viewed 11441 times