Having major probelm with my Kizzy

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Blackbelt

I had to go to Philly for a 2 day training class, so i decided to drive my Kizzy. I left MOnday afternoon for the 320 miles drive. My Kizzy had 3500 miles on it. About 150 miles into the drive across the PA turnpike, i felt a shudder, and looked as my RPM's jumped up form 2200 to almost 5000! I muted the radio and got off the gas, then back on and the RPM's were right back up to almost 5000 at 65MPH. I heard a strange whining noise coming form the front end. Luckily, i was only a few miles from a service plaza. I thought maybe it was an electronic glitch, so right before the plaza ramp i pulled over and shut the car down. I waited a few minutes and started it back up, put it in gear and hit the gas. The car barely moved, almost like it had no throttle at all. I nursed it to the plaza parking lot and shut it off. Pulled out the manual and called roadside assist. After going through the menus, i started the car back up because it was getting warm and i wanted the AC. I talked the guy and he said the nearest dealer was 44 miles away, and he would get someone there ASAP to tow me. Just out of curiosity, i threw it in drive and hit the gas and the car started moving just like normal. I drove around the lot and it all seemed to be OK. I told the guy to not send the tow, i was going to try to make it to Philly.
I drove the car until i got off the pike, and it started to act up again. I threw it into manual mode and it seemed fine. I drove to the hotel and parked it.
After the 2 day class, i left to come home(yesterday). I decided to stick with manual mode, and the car was fine. I filled the tank on the pike and it was fine. I got off the pike, and as soon as i slowed down for the booth, it shuddered . the MIL popped on, and the rpm's went up.
I got about 10 miles up the road and had to pull off, as it would not climb a hill or go over 10 MPH. After shutting it down for about 20 minutes, i got it going again and managed to get it home.
I called the dealer this morning and they are sending a flatbed to my home to pick it up. I will let everyone know what the diagnosis is, but i am a little pissed right now. My brand new car stranded me. Not good.
I should have taken the SX4!!!
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
nytq

WoW! Well saying that SUCKS is kinda redundant. But I feel for you. This car is relatively new, but nothing that dramatic has been posted. So strictly from a numbers point of view, the car and major components seem stable after a year and a half of models on the road. The only comforting part is it is under warranty. But what a hassle. Good Luck!
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Ronzuki

No, not good at all when a brand new car leaves you wondering for an entire long distance trip, if it's gonna leave you stranded. Unfortunately, it sounds like a complete new trans may be in your future. Good luck and keep us posted. I'd really like to hear from Suzuki what, exactly, is going on with this.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Blackbelt

You hit the nail on the head Ronzuki. The dealer towed the car late this morning, and called me this afternoon and told me a new transmission has been ordered for it. They expect it to arrive monday or tuesday. They are paying for a rental, so i went to enterprise after work and picked up a rental(a slobalt, yuck).
The JATCO CVT is the same unit that Chrysler uses in all of their calibers, Patriots, and compasses, and is not known to be a trouble prone unit.
SO we shall see if it arrives next week. I will update this thread as i get more info.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
tigerbangs54

Hey Blackbelt; a question for you: were you using the cruise control during that drive? What you experienced sounds very much like a problem for which the Kizashi had a recall, where the car would exhibit the same symptoms that you described when and after using the cruise control. I don't know what your car's build date is, but before letting them do anything major, be sure that the computer reflash was accomplished on that car
Ronzuki

Second one I can recall on this forum being completely replaced. 2 out of 558 members. Not horrible odds, but not great either. I wonder if these are bone stock Jatco units in the Kiz, or, has Suzuki done something or required Jatco to modify in any way. Much like my garden tractor...standard Kohler V-Twin engine built to Toro/Wheelhorse specs (improvements implemented). The engine is the same but not really.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Blackbelt

I was using the cruise when i had the initial problem on the pike. I remembered that, so on my return trip i did not use it at all, i didnt even turn it on, and it still acted up, so i don't think that was the issue with my car.
Thanks for the info though, i appreciate it.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
AlexRuiz

Ouch, that majorly hurts! Good thing you managed to make it there and back.
I am curious as to how much is the trans itself, and how much is the TCM (Trans controller)
I don't know what to make of the quick availability of the replacement transmission.....
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
kumar

Yesterday I was driving back to Philly after visiting my wife in state college. Driving distance from state college to Philly is around 190 miles. Just after crossing the Harrisburg while driving on Pennsylvania turnpike engine started sounding loud whenever I tried to accelerate it. After around 20-30 miles the car started slowing down although I tried my best to accelerate it. When speed dropped below 50, I just pulled it off the highway and stopped the engine. I was so nervous at this point since it was 8:00 PM and I was all alone in the car. I started engine again after 5 minutes but car just stopped to accelerate. However, after creeping @ 5-10 mph for a while the car started accelerating and I could drive it back to Philadelphia. The car has just 5000 miles on it. I am so worried driving it again. Going to call the dealer and the American Suzuki soon. Shocked with such a poor performance of the engine.
newworld2004

Kumar

sorry to hear that , can you tell us what is the built data on your car ? and how many miles do you have on it ?
2010 Dark Blue SLS FWD CVT
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
1994 Soft-Top Samurai Sold
1993 Isuzu Trooper 2DR Sold