Horn

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
JakeRam

So AlexRuiz, are you saying the stock horn is relay fed already?

Not to make too big of an analysis about "horn sound", but the El Grandes sound better than the SuperTones, like old school American car. While the ST's are more irratating (which may be what you want when trying to say "get out da way"), but I can't help but think the ST's would look pretty BA behind the lower grill. Not sure what to mount them to or anything yet...

El Grandes - [youtube][/youtube]
SuperTones - [youtube][/youtube]

...and the El Grandes are way cheaper -- $20 vs. $50.
Last edited by JakeRam on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRuiz

JakeRam wrote:So AlexRuiz, are you saying the stock horn is relay fed already?

Not to make to make too big of an analysis about "horn sound", but the El Grandes sound better than the SuperTones, like old school American car. While the ST's are more irratating (which may be what you want when trying to say "get out da way", but I can't help but think the ST's would look pretty BA behind the lower grill. Not sure what to mount them to or anything yet...

...and the El Grandes are way cheaper -- $20 vs. $50.
Yep, already relay fed. Should be easy. I am also changing mine, and yes, will be used on those doing the speed limit while in the left lane :P

Alex
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
JakeRam

Cool and cool...have fun not speeding :-)
dpp

Just wanted to follow up and let you guys know I did the horn swap this weekend. Installed the El Grandes. IMO, a $17 upgrade everyone should do. Result is outstanding, makes me happy to honk my horn.

Install was a pain, had to remove entire front bumper (per HID DIY instructions), but took ~ 1 hour, by myself start to finish. There are two horn units located directly behind the fog-light covers (1 on each side). Unplugged and removed the old, plugged in and mounted the new, that's all there was to it.

The new one's won't work until you plug them in *and* mount them, i guess the mounting bolt completes the electrical circuit or something.
JakeRam

Awesome, thanks for the follow-up post...and for saying "makes me happy to honk my horn"...
JDReichert

I purchased a set of 3 small "air horns" from Harbor Freight for $25, mounted then right next to the factory set and wired them into the existing electrical. They work great, sound like a Italian super car and scare the h**l out of people.

Jerry 1983 BMW 633CSi, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL
dpp

very brief clip of the new horn (Fiamm el grandes).

[youtube][/youtube]
uforaverwill

Now that's a horn. Nice
2010 Kizashi SE
Platinum Silver
JakeRam

NICE!!! That's like the opposite of the factory horn. I got mine (El Grandes, just couldn't justify the extra expense of the SuperTones, plus I think the EG's sound better anyway...at least on-line). So they're in the garage waiting to be installed. I want to call the job a "rainy day project" but the way the weather's been around here, I should have been done a month ago...
AlexRuiz

I also got mine, waiting to be installed ;) The observation of the horns not working until they are mounted is totally true, they are "case grounded" meaning the bolt closes the circuit. Make sure the contact surfaces are clean.

Alex
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT