Went from 35w HID to 55w HID with video now comparing the 2!

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
will2k

I liked my 6000k 35w HID's but in some situations i felt they just weren't quite bright enough so i just finished installing a 55w kit.

I installed the 55w ballast and bulb on 1 headlight to test it and compare the difference ( in broad daylight ) and noticed even though they are both 6000k the 35w old bulb had more of a cool white/blue tinge to it compared to the 55w 6000k which in my opinion was more equivalent to 35w 5000k.

I'll take some pictures tonight to see how they look at night. In the worst case scenario if its too white i may end up changing just the bulbs to 8000k 55w in the hopes of obtaining the old 6000k look from my 35w bulbs.

Either way im in store for a lot more light! :)

Reason i want the cool white/blue looks is to match my 6000k led DRL's i have.

This post is useless without pics so i'll get some up tonight weather permitting.

It took me 90mins to do the change over and it was very windy and overcast the whole time so i was pretty worried. Starting sprinkling as i was mounting the ballasts which i cable tied in a hurry but will properly mount another day.

Last edited by will2k on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
Northernstar

i have 55w 6000k on my car as well. after installing the HID i noticed some other drivers started flashing their high beam at me. i think that's cus my headlights are too bright or something so i asked my shop to aim the headlights a little bit down.
WESHOOT2

(What do you think about the rear sway bar?)
will2k

I like the rear swaybar. Car is flatter through corners and less oversteer for sure.

I don't have the RRM one but they are all pretty similar.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
will2k

Toddashi wrote: I wouldn’t trust (or pay) the shop guys to aim the lights because they’re not the ones driving the car. That’s just my viewpoint though.
Yeah i agree, you need to just drive around and experiment until you find the right spot.

will2k

Still waiting on 8000k 55w bulbs to come!... not happy

But in my first post is a vid comparing the two. Both 6000k.

xiangzi616

Is it legal? Instal HID
KuroNekko

Well, it depends where you live, but technically, aftermarket HIDs are illegal in most places. I know it's technically illegal in the UK and the US. Basically, if HID did not come factory installed, then it's illegal.
The good thing is that it's not very well enforced because the police aren't experts at figuring out which cars come with HID factory and which are aftermarket. As long as you don't have blue, purple, pink, or yellow headlights, I think you will be fine. Also aim them well so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Putting HIDs in projector lamps is best because of their light cutoff. Our cars have projector low beams so it works well.
Factory HID color temperature is 4300K. Go higher than 8000K and it's obvious that you have aftermarket HIDs.

As for 55W kits, this is what I know from my research:
You only find 55W HIDs offered with low-end, cheap HID kits. The quality brands only do 35W as HID are supposed to be 35W. All factory HIDs run on 35W, not 55W. The best brands like Phillips, McCullough, and JDM HIDs all also run on 35W.
HIDs are supposed to be brighter, but more efficient. One of the benefits of HID is that they are more power efficient and draws less power to operate. Running 55W negates the benefits of a lower current draw.
55W kits seem to be less reliable and burn out quicker. They are also known to damage/melt headlights and wiring. Also, another known issue with 55W kits is that they have an issue called color washout. Basically, it's so bright that it doesn't emit the intended color temperature. It's probably because the bulb was not originally intended to run on 55W.

People have their preferences, but it seems that for the best, most reliable lighting without a retrofit, get a 35W HID kit from a reputable brand with a color temperature of 4300K to 6000K.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

Yes, they're illegal in Australia as well. Proper factory fit HID's usually have high pressure headlight washers and an auto light leveling system built in. The internal optics of the HID headlights are also totally different.

My last vehicle had HID's standard and IMHO they're over rated and very expensive to fix if a bulb or the high voltage module fails. I'd much rather have the normal halogen lights and fit some decent standard wattage bulbs eg. Osram Nightbreakers etc.

I come across a Landrover Discovery that has aftermarket HID's fitted most mornings, it's dangerous how much extraneous light is thrown out blinding oncoming drivers. At least with the Kizashi it has the optic lense on the low beam which would hopefully provide a more controlled beam spread.
David