Stock Panasonic Head Unit Wiring - non RF systems

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
murcod

Below is some info I've found/ checked against my Aussie 2011 Kizashi with the non Rockford Fosgate audio system. The wire colours relate to the audio system plug that plugs directly into the head unit.

White/ Red -> permanent 12V
Red/ Yellow -> Fixed voltage instrument illumination
White/ Green -> Front Left speaker +
Grey/ Red -> Front Right speaker +
Green -> Rear Left speaker +
Blue -> Rear Right speaker +
Pink/ Green -> steering wheel handsfree switch
White -> Accessories/ Ignition On power
Black -> Ground
Blue/ Black -> Dimming variable instrument illumination
White / Blue -> Front Left speaker -
Yellow -> Front Right speaker -
Green/ Black -> Rear Left speaker -
Blue/ Red -> Rear Right speaker -
Purple -> speed signal (for variable volume with speed)
Pink -> Steering wheel remote audio switches
Pink/ Black -> Ground for steering wheel remote switches

Additional wires (not used with head unit but present in plug) :
Green/ Yellow -> appears to run to subwoofer position under parcel shelf in boot
Grey -> as above (so the two wires could be used as a + and - for a subwoofer.)

The above info is a guide only, please double check your particular vehicle to make sure it matches!
David
murcod

I've just located info verifying the Green/ Yellow and Grey wires are in fact for a subwoofer. I've got no idea which "non amplified" head unit the subwoofer would function with - the stock Panasonic doesn't appear to have the capability? Perhaps something they designed into the wiring harness but have never utilised?
1. Audio unit
2. “RADIO” fuse
3. “ACC” fuse
4. Rear speaker (R)
5. Rear speaker (L)
6. BCM
7. Junction block
8. Printed radio antenna
9. Radio antenna amplifier
10. Front speaker (R)
11. Front tweeter (R)
12. Front speaker (L)
13. Front tweeter (L)
14. Combination meter
15. Contact coil
16. Steering switch (audio control switch / hands-free switch)
17. Center speaker
18. Microphone (if equipped)
19. USB socket
20. Sub woofer (if equipped)
kizashi non amplified schematic.pdf
(60.32 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:I've just located info verifying the Green/ Yellow and Grey wires are in fact for a subwoofer. I've got no idea which "non amplified" head unit the subwoofer would function with - the stock Panasonic doesn't appear to have the capability? Perhaps something they designed into the wiring harness but have never utilised?
Maybe this was going to be for an optional factory upgrade of a powered subwoofer? Lots of things seem to have been planned for the car that were scrapped before the sales started.
murcod

From the way the wiring is done, the sub would need to be powered from the head unit end. There's also a pic (drawing) showing this phantom sub fitted in the parcel shelf. It looks like a puny version of the RF and is directly connected to the wiring loom- no amp visible.

An 8" sub in the shelf with a small amp under the dash would be possible. The big issue would be removing the metal panel Suzuki kindly spot welded over the sub hole!
David
murcod

murcod wrote:From the way the wiring is done, the sub would need to be powered from the head unit end. There's also a pic (drawing) showing this phantom sub fitted in the parcel shelf. It looks like a puny version of the RF and is directly connected to the wiring loom- no amp visible.
Mystery solved. Below pics are from a UK spec Kizashi.

Visually, that appears very similar to the head unit as fitted to the current (base) model Sport Touring in Australia - but there's no sub fitted here. Also note a couple of the buttons have slightly different labeling....
my13 head unit.jpg
my13 head unit.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
David
SamirD

What a baby sub. :lol:

But I'm sure the system sounded great. 8-)
murcod

It would appear that head unit and sub combo is also fitted to Malaysian model Kizashi's.
David