Oil Change Tips

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
TObject

I changed the oil on my Kizashi for the second time today and decided to post what I learned to make the job easier for others.

- Six 10 mm bolts on the bottom to remove the plastic tray from under the oil pan.

- 14 mm drain plug, when you remove it oil shots out pretty far. It is easier to catch it if you have a high bucket close to the drain hole. As you unscrew the plug, hold it in with your finger until all the threads are released, then remove your hand with the plug out of the way and let the old oil flow.

- The oil filter is in the front of the engine, above the AC compressor. The location of the oil filter is inconvenient, plan ahead on how you will remove the old filter. You may prefer to take off the exhaust manifold heat shield first; it is held by three 10 mm bolts (shorter than the ones that hold the bottom plastic tray).

- I went to the local Suzuki dealer, and they sold me a filter made in China out of unknown materials. I went to Walmart, and got a synthetic filter made in Canada. The FRAM brand has four or so different levels of filters, from very cheap to more expensive, the part number is 4386 with two letters in front of it. You can also try Mobil M1-103 or WIX 51396 and other cross-reference numbers. My concern was that FRAM filters have the thread set about one-tenth of an inch shallower than the Suzuki filter; but it worked just fine, Kizashi engine has plenty of thread on the filter mount to accommodate the aftermarket filters.

- Lubricate the gasket on the new filter with fresh motor oil, and pour some of the fresh oil into the new filter before you put it on. You can fill the filter about half way with oil, and let it stand for a bit to let the oil absorb in the material, so that it doesn't run when you are ready to screw the filter in.

- To unscrew the old filter you will need a special wrench. I used Lisle filter wrench part number 63600, and I like how it works.

- Here is what you can do so that not to make a mess when you unscrew the old oil filter. Tear off and neatly fold several sheets of paper towels. Place them above the AC compressor and under the old oil filter before you take it off. The sheets will catch oil that spills while you take the old oil filter off.

- It is probably easier to take the old oil filter off from the top. Loosen it with the wrench first, then unscrew it by hand, turn the filter can down as soon as it is off, and lift it up.

- Make sure the rubber gasket came off with the old filter, before you put the new filter on.
Last edited by TObject on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minority

Great detailed write-up, well done!
twopointfour

Great post. I'll be referring to it before I do my own oil changes.
jimmerz

Thanks TObject! This definitely enables people who normally do not change their own oil the confidence to crawl under and do it!

Great write up!
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!
Ronzuki

My Dealer had sold me the Chinese filters. Neither of us knew it. After I took a mislabelled one back to them (wrong filter in correct p/n box, thread size too small and didn't spin on) They gave me the correct "Made in Japan" filters. Problem is, their computer crosses over to the cheaper Chinese job right away when car model is entered. If you give them the exact part number off the Japanese filter and tell them that's what you want, they should have them....my dealer did. Of course, they are a little more expensive.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
BxKizashiS

that black tray be getting on my nerves when i do oil changes on cars, i just want the drain plug to be there and thats it but i know its good cuz it prevents dirt to get on the oil pan and some parts of the motor... but anyways, good write up!!
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
BxKizashiS

Nice! I never put some oil into the new filter before putting it on. That's actually a good idea. Next time
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
KuroNekko

BxKizashiS wrote:Nice! I never put some oil into the new filter before putting it on. That's actually a good idea. Next time
It's not necessary, but it can't hurt. Just be careful not to fill the new filter too much or the oil will spill when you mount it as it goes on horizontally.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Priming your filter is good practice as it'll help reduce the wear of a dry start. People have found that the pressure goes up much faster compared to a dry filter.

Pour some oil into the center hole and slowly rotate the filter so that the media absorbs the oil. As mentioned you can't pour too much due to the horizontal placement but every bit helps
Woodie

I pull the coil wire and crank it over until the oil light goes out. A bit excessive, I know.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency