Removing Air Intake Silencers

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
XabiXabi91

Does removing the air intake silencer actually make a difference in engine sound?
and how do you remove them?
bootymac

I wouldn't remove them. Engineers designed them specifically to account for pressure wave harmonics

http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-i ... tml#page=0

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/mac ... fficiency/
XabiXabi91

i didn't know any of that, thanks man
LPSISRL

Thanks for the links. Learned something new today. As usual.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
XabiXabi91

i really do want to amplify the sound of my car though, i was thinking maybe a new Intake kit?
i just don't know where to look for one
Woodie

I have had good experience with removing factory intake plumbing and changing to a K&N filter on many other cars. Every car is different, and the factory did have reasons for doing it that way. You could put in a K&N and remove some of the intake bits, and see how it is. If it gets a rasp at a certain RPM, or you pick up driveability problems, then just spend the 15 minutes and put it back on. I haven't really looked at it with this in mind, but I'm thinking that it might be creating a hot air intake off the radiator. That would be good for gas mileage in the winter, but bad for power.

RRM makes an intake kit, quite pricy though.
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/in ... h=31_49_51
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Wonson92

I had mine off for a long time, it sounded a bit better between 2500-3500 and sometimes below 2000 theres a bit of a grunty noise. I always intended on taking a video but I never got around to it. I ended up putting it back on because I had a feeling it affected my fuel consumption on long drives - not sure if it did or not and I wasn't sure if there were any negative effects and started to over think it :lol: bootymac may have just answered that for me.
I removed the front resonator, plugged it with a rubbed foot that happened to fit perfectly and sealed the edge with silicon to avoid sucking in any hot air.
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat