Black out your Bumper without paint

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
metatrox

UPADTE 10/18/12
Just wanted to give you a heads up that I created a new page for purchasing the Kizashi Bumper Blackout Kits.

http://www.metatrox.com/kizashi.html

Trying to avoid Ebay fees but still uses Paypal for Secure payment.

Thanks! If you have any questions please let me know.
------------------------------------

UPDATED! KITS ARE NOW AVAILABLE AGAIN! 3-22-2012

Glossy : http://www.ebay.com/itm/180853318755
Matte : http://www.ebay.com/itm/180853318955

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I love the look of the blacked-out bumper in the Kizashi along with audi and evo. But like most of you i'm not brave enough to paint it. LOL at least not yet.

Well i just happen to have a Vinyl Plotter and a studio. Soooo... A few measurements, a couple mistakes, and some sweat I have got a pretty good fit and look.

I want to make a couple more adjustments to the size and it should fit perfect. Not as cool as that recently released Carbon Fiber Bumper Cap by RRM but hey, Looks pretty good.

If people are interested then I could offer them for sale in both Matte and Gloss black. Its pretty easy to apply and only takes a few minutes.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
KizzyOHIO

Dang, where were you a few months back!!!

Looks great man! I think I may clear coat mine to give it the glossy look. How much will you sell the vinyl kits for?
2010 White Manual Kizzy "S" -riding badgeless-
JDLKizzy

Nice job indeed! Makes the front alot more aggressive. Keep us posted on what you think you'd change for a kit. How difficult was it to apply? Did you have to be dead on when you first applied it? Any bubbles?
2011 Sport GTS 6-MT
Platinum Silver
metatrox

KizzyOHIO : LOL I admire your courage to paint yours though. I think the gloss looks pretty good because the top grill is like a black chrome. I wouldnt mind painting the lower part a gloss too. But I'm actually looking into making my own grill instead.

JDLKizzy : Thanks! Yeah i really like the look.

Price : TBD, I plan on putting together a Vinyl kit that includes a squeegee, application solution & spray bottle, along with the Vinyl. Probably around the $30 range.

Application : Its a wet application so is doesn't have to be perfect or your screwed. LOL. The most important thing is to make sure the area is super clean. No bugs and dirt. Anything left on will cause a bubble.

Process :
  • 1) Clean area very well.
    2) Peal vinyl backing off.
    3) Spray area and vinyl with application solution.
    4) Place and align vinyl on area(since its wet you can move and line it up just right).
    5) Using the supplied squeegee you'll start from the middle and squeegee out all the solution.
    6) It is recommended to use a hair dryer or heat gun(on low) to help conform the edges. Since the bumper has lips and a couple good size curves the heat will help mold the vinyl.
    7) Once the vinyl is sticking enough you will remove the transfer backing.
    8) Carefully dry the area, and your done.
It took me about 8 minutes to apply everything. I'm slightly experience at doing this so it may take about 15 minutes for the average "Joe" lol.

The kit will also include a full color instruction sheet and a link to an installation video.

I'm looking to see if i can find a good bug "scrubber" or sorts to provide with the kit.

The kit is meant to be a semi-permanent application. It will hold well as it is made from 6 year outdoor vinyl. BUT, it can be removed fairly easy with some heat without damaging anything.

The kit will also provide a small amount of protection to your paint. Its a lot easier and cheaper to replace this than it is to get a hood repainted.

If this is something enough people are interested in I will be happy to provide the kits for sale in the next week or so.
TheHolyGhost

That looks awesome, really nice work.

Any chance of putting together a tail light black out kit with semi-transparent vinyl?
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Moto
Site Admin

Well done.
babacu

Really nice. I was contemplating painting mine, but this is definitely easier (and safer :-) ).
uforaverwill

Metatrox wrote:KizzyOHIO : LOL I admire your courage to paint yours though. I think the gloss looks pretty good because the top grill is like a black chrome. I wouldnt mind painting the lower part a gloss too. But I'm actually looking into making my own grill instead.

JDLKizzy : Thanks! Yeah i really like the look.

Price : TBD, I plan on putting together a Vinyl kit that includes a squeegee, application solution & spray bottle, along with the Vinyl. Probably around the $30 range.

Application : Its a wet application so is doesn't have to be perfect or your screwed. LOL. The most important thing is to make sure the area is super clean. No bugs and dirt. Anything left on will cause a bubble.

Process :
  • 1) Clean area very well.
    2) Peal vinyl backing off.
    3) Spray area and vinyl with application solution.
    4) Place and align vinyl on area(since its wet you can move and line it up just right).
    5) Using the supplied squeegee you'll start from the middle and squeegee out all the solution.
    6) It is recommended to use a hair dryer or heat gun(on low) to help conform the edges. Since the bumper has lips and a couple good size curves the heat will help mold the vinyl.
    7) Once the vinyl is sticking enough you will remove the transfer backing.
    8) Carefully dry the area, and your done.
It took me about 8 minutes to apply everything. I'm slightly experience at doing this so it may take about 15 minutes for the average "Joe" lol.

The kit will also include a full color instruction sheet and a link to an installation video.

I'm looking to see if i can find a good bug "scrubber" or sorts to provide with the kit.

The kit is meant to be a semi-permanent application. It will hold well as it is made from 6 year outdoor vinyl. BUT, it can be removed fairly easy with some heat without damaging anything.

The kit will also provide a small amount of protection to your paint. Its a lot easier and cheaper to replace this than it is to get a hood repainted.

If this is something enough people are interested in I will be happy to provide the kits for sale in the next week or so.

Sign Nerd! J/K :lol:
2010 Kizashi SE
Platinum Silver
TheHolyGhost

Any guess at how difficult it will be to remove? I assume that with some elbow grease and a hair dryer it won't be overly difficult, though tedious, but I was just curious.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
metatrox

Theholyghost : thanks! Yeah I think I'll work on some eye lids and some blackouts.

Moto : thanks! I sent you a pm by the way.

Babacu : yeah for sure. It's quite a bit easier to go back if you don't like it. Lol

Uforaverwill : lol yeah it's kinda my hobby and a little business on the side.

Theholyghost : imma take mine off and redo it with a better vinyl this week. I'll video tape it for you..