Removing the chrome S on the Grill

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Brian

How hard is it to remove the S on the grill :?: Any tips.
Thanks
mapeterson2

Why would you want to? I believe there is a "S" still there after you take it off. Unless you're taking it off to paint it...
2005 Pontiac GTO - 375 rwhp
2001 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock w/ 6 inch lift
metatrox

I removed all my chrome badges except for that one just using a hair dryer and pulling on them.

Works REALLY well and no special technique. Then i just used some GooGone for any left over residue. which wasnt much at all.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
mapeterson2

I'm all for debadging (I'm going to do it too) but as far as I know there is a big plastic S in the grill behind it and it would look like you lost it.
2005 Pontiac GTO - 375 rwhp
2001 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock w/ 6 inch lift
TheHolyGhost

Yep. Someone on here did it. You'll still see the S shape in the middle of the grille, just black instead of chrome.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Moto
Site Admin

wd 40 might be safer than googone
metatrox

Yeah that's prolly true. The stuff I have has never cause paint problems. Prolly a good idea to always wash the area with soap and water after using googone
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
Kelevra

I use WD-40 for debadging, to loosen up the double sided tape, then use dental floss between the badge and the double sided tape for easy removal, I then use more WD-40 to remove any residual glue. I've been doing this for decades to remove motorcycle stickers as well as the dental floss method for badges. I'd like to remove the (what I feel is blingy), big, chrome S also.
WESHOOT2

So what I'm hearing is we really want a blacked-out egg-crate grill without embellishment?
murcod

What about painting the S badge to match (or at least blend in) with the grille? I've debadged mine as well and a S that was a little more discreet would be nice.
David