AC panel removal

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KizashiS

It seems that the AC panel should be removed in prior to install a new head unit. I found a service manual in this forum which tells me to "release tabs and claws at position 1 and 2. But... How to reach those tabs and claws? I can't feel them by stretching my fingers through the pocket door under the AC unit.
Attachments
Audio.jpg
Audio.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 17113 times
will2k

Just below the AC panel where that storage compartment is, open it up a little and put your hand underneath the AC unit and pull it towards you.

It feels awkward the first time but you get used to it. I tried to get a good hold of it and pull it straight out so i didnt break the clips. Don't pull on it by lifting up if you know what i mean.

The head unit is then held in place with 2 screws, 1 on each side. Then you pull that out the same way as the AC panel.

I just finished installing 2 x 6.5" speakers, amp and sub in my kizashi and the wiring was crazy but got it done lol

If you want me to post a quick video to make it more clear i can film one with my iphone lol
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
hocaspocas

I bet the question about removing the AC panel is for a stereo installation. I am new on this and so yes, please post a video on the whole process. We really appreciate details about this process. You can post it on the DYS How to section for everyone to enjoy.
KizashiS

will2k wrote:Just below the AC panel where that storage compartment is, open it up a little and put your hand underneath the AC unit and pull it towards you.

It feels awkward the first time but you get used to it. I tried to get a good hold of it and pull it straight out so i didnt break the clips. Don't pull on it by lifting up if you know what i mean.

The head unit is then held in place with 2 screws, 1 on each side. Then you pull that out the same way as the AC panel.

I just finished installing 2 x 6.5" speakers, amp and sub in my kizashi and the wiring was crazy but got it done lol

If you want me to post a quick video to make it more clear i can film one with my iphone lol
Just pull? :shock: Sounds reeeeaaaaally... Then how to install it back? Push in? :lol:
I don't have so much confidence in those plastic tabs and claws; can they still hold tight after several pull-and-push?
wyliec

I just pulled mine, there are no claws to worry about just the four clips. Pull from the bottom, slowly but firmly. It will pop pretty easily, and a bit of wiggling and pulling will pop the top clips. I'll have pics in my install thread soon.
KizashiS

wyliec wrote:I just pulled mine, there are no claws to worry about just the four clips. Pull from the bottom, slowly but firmly. It will pop pretty easily, and a bit of wiggling and pulling will pop the top clips. I'll have pics in my install thread soon.
I just went down and pulled everything out. No claws. They might be standard on 2010 model year but no longer on 2011.

Here is a photo of all cables and harness. Looks like all kinds of harness have already been wired; anything more needed here to install a new head unit?
P8031062_small.jpg
I have also taken two photos of the stock dummy panel. It seems just the same as scosche kit, so do I still have to buy the scosche panel?
P8031063_small.jpg
P8031065_small.jpg
wyliec

The dummy panel has a blanking plate and a pocket? It looks like you're in business, no need for a dash kit. Just pop out the blanking plate, and the pocket if it's a 2-din, and the new stereo will bolt to the metal side plates. You just need the antenna adapter (the square grey plug is the antenna) and harness adapter (blue connector), or use t-taps on the wires, or if you don't care about retaining the factory plug just cut and splice. I have an unused harness adapter here, it came with my complete kit but the RF system has a different plug.
KizashiS

wyliec wrote:The dummy panel has a blanking plate and a pocket? It looks like you're in business, no need for a dash kit. Just pop out the blanking plate, and the pocket if it's a 2-din, and the new stereo will bolt to the metal side plates. You just need the antenna adapter (the square grey plug is the antenna) and harness adapter (blue connector), or use t-taps on the wires, or if you don't care about retaining the factory plug just cut and splice. I have an unused harness adapter here, it came with my complete kit but the RF system has a different plug.
Thanks! By the way, which harness is for steering wheel control? So far I knew the left gray one is for radio, the big blue one is for audio, the lower big white one is for AC, but what are the other two above the blue harness?
hocaspocas

KisashiS, you are the best. No one have taken pictures of the actual process yet. Keep it going your work will be really appreciated by this forum. I am learning a lot from this. ....
will2k

You guys dont want to see what my wires look like behind my head unit now lol had to cut into like 10 wires to set up the sound system so it's quite umm messy lol
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube