Bumper Removal, Headlight Removal, and HID Kit Installation

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
Bizzenn

US. I did se something about removing the airbox to get to it. It just seems easier to do that than to remove an entire bumper,
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
Bizzenn wrote:I have a question. IfI am just replacing the bulb, is there an easier way to get to the driver side light without removing the bumper. That would be a pain just to replace a bulb. Thanks
What country are you in? Driver side differs based on country.
If you are in the US or Canada, then you are Left Hand Drive (LHD). In that case, the bulbs are better accessed by removing the air filter housing. It's actually very easy and will give you so much better access to the LH bulbs.
I discussed it in this thread so look at the photos:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =32&t=2623
No way. I tried. I gave up on the driver's light and am now just going to live with one headlight until I have time and the place to remove the bumper.

I removed the entire air box, retainer clips, computer mount, and I still couldn't access the bottom screw like in the owners manual because of a wire loom running right over it. I probably could have moved the loom, but it was in there tight and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. It's just not really possible.

The passenger side on the other hand, was a breeze to replace. Much easier than even my older Japanese cars. 8-)
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:
Bizzenn wrote:I have a question. IfI am just replacing the bulb, is there an easier way to get to the driver side light without removing the bumper. That would be a pain just to replace a bulb. Thanks
What country are you in? Driver side differs based on country.
If you are in the US or Canada, then you are Left Hand Drive (LHD). In that case, the bulbs are better accessed by removing the air filter housing. It's actually very easy and will give you so much better access to the LH bulbs.
I discussed it in this thread so look at the photos:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =32&t=2623
No way. I tried. I gave up on the driver's light and am now just going to live with one headlight until I have time and the place to remove the bumper.

I removed the entire air box, retainer clips, computer mount, and I still couldn't access the bottom screw like in the owners manual because of a wire loom running right over it. I probably could have moved the loom, but it was in there tight and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. It's just not really possible.

The passenger side on the other hand, was a breeze to replace. Much easier than even my older Japanese cars. 8-)
Which bulb are you talking about? My recollection is that one of the bulbs on the LHS is easily accessible with the air filter box removed from the engine bay. If gives you access to the dust cap on the headlight which you can take off easily and access the bulb behind it.
Regardless, I have HIDs and whenever I deal with the headlights, the bumper and the headlights come off the car. It really doesn't take long. It's like one of those things that seems daunting and a huge hassle at first, but you realize it isn't once you do it. An impact driver really makes the job quick and easy.
Plus, you get to see other components much better and learn more about your car.

"Anyone seen my face?"
002.JPG
002.JPG (536.41 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Which bulb are you talking about? My recollection is that one of the bulbs on the LHS is easily accessible with the air filter box removed from the engine bay. If gives you access to the dust cap on the headlight which you can take off easily and access the bulb behind it.
This would be for the driver's side low beam. I believe the high beam could be easily accessed with the airbox out of the way. 8-)
Bizzenn

Well that seems to be a bad design but it is what it is I guess.
KuroNekko

Bizzenn wrote:Well that seems to be a bad design but it is what it is I guess.
It's not a great design, but having the part of the frame run across over the headlights probably contributes to the Kizashi's stellar safety.
bootymac

Check out how easy it is on some Volvos. Pull two retaining tabs out and the headlight comes right off

murcod

Nice design work on Volvo's part. So many vehicles require the bumper to be removed - it's not just a Kizashi problem.
David
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Check out how easy it is on some Volvos. Pull two retaining tabs out and the headlight comes right off

I was once helping someone change their headlight bulb in a GMC Envoy that had a design like this. You pull tabs and the headlight pops out for accessing the bulbs.
I thought that was smart when I was attempting to fix the Envoy's headlight bulb that apparently burned out. However, when I got to the bulb, I saw the real issue. The factory harness connector had melted even with the use of the OEM halogen bulb.
So much for "We Are Professional Grade" or GM engineering for that matter.
:facepalm:
bootymac

Maybe that's why they made the headlights easier to access ;)