CVT Acceleration Challenge?

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
LPSISRL

I've always been interested in finding out more about the CVT and how well it accelerates the car at different engine RPMs.

Is anybody interested in a test? Here's what I have in mind. Multiple 0-60 runs holding the engine RPM steady but at a different RPM each run and then compare the times. So it would be 0-60 holding 2500 best you can, (I'm not sure it would go 0-60 at only 2000 RPM and if it did you would probably measure it with a calendar) then 0-60 holding 3000 best you can, etc all the way up to, well, redline. It would take two to do it safely or I would do it myself. (I really don't have a place nearby or a helper to do it myself or I would)

Anybody game? :drive:
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
paininthenuts

LPSISRL wrote:I've always been interested in finding out more about the CVT and how well it accelerates the car at different engine RPMs.

Is anybody interested in a test? Here's what I have in mind. Multiple 0-60 runs holding the engine RPM steady but at a different RPM each run and then compare the times. So it would be 0-60 holding 2500 best you can, (I'm not sure it would go 0-60 at only 2000 RPM and if it did you would probably measure it with a calendar) then 0-60 holding 3000 best you can, etc all the way up to, well, redline. It would take two to do it safely or I would do it myself. (I really don't have a place nearby or a helper to do it myself or I would)

Anybody game? :drive:
If your prepared to pay my air fair to where you live I will give you a hand. What I can tell you is that when I drive out of my local shopping centre and drive to the roundabout a few hundred yards away, I can get 70mph and stop by the time I reach the roundabout. Everyone I know finds this amazing
LPSISRL

I'm curious, but not quite that curious!
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
bootymac

0-60mph while holding 2500rpm? I don't think there's a road long enough!
Remav

I played with this idea a bit. ...With only 1 person, but I think it's fairly doable just going by ear. 1st surprise was how difficult it is to hold the car at a consistent RPM. (That's going to take some practice) 2nd surprise is that not only will it not take much road to get to 60 mph @ 2500 RPM, the 2000 RPM challenge isn't even going to take what people here are thinking. I have a couple places in mind that should be long, flat, & isolated enough. Will keep you posted.
Image2011 Sport SLS Navi AWD, White Water Pearl ...in Beautiful Colorado
LPSISRL

Thanks for the help, Remav. I've found it difficult too holding the revs constant... except at redline.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Remav

I have not downloaded yet, but look what I found. This could make things much easier!
(Just edited...)
I see there is an Android App, Speedometer GPS Pro, that is FREE, AND only requires Location, so no (additional?) spying.

Will see if I can get a couple readings even if not optimal location.
Image2011 Sport SLS Navi AWD, White Water Pearl ...in Beautiful Colorado
WESHOOT2

I just mash my wee-pedal; I ain't got time for speedo glancing ('cause I'm too busy watching where I'm going).
chris.brown

:lol: :lol:
WESHOOT2 wrote:I just mash my wee-pedal; I ain't got time for speedo glancing ('cause I'm too busy watching where I'm going).
kconklin33

You mean mash your wee-pedal and wait a minute or so and then look down and you're only going 60 lol. The cvt's in these things are so lethargic it makes me angry. I've never tested a steady rpm to reach a speed but I have timed 0-60 runs and using the slap shift vs. the fully auto it actually proved to be faster to not use the slap shift. About .3 slower. I thought for sure it would be the opposite running the car almost to redline and shifting I'd get more out of it but nope. I also never, literally never, drive my car in in "fully auto". I've only ever owned MT and it just feels wrong to not be shifting a car