Kizashi gaz Mileage(only AWD please) with a Full gaz tank

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
KuroNekko

paininthenuts wrote:
hitorx wrote:Hello, I was wondering mileage people are doing with a full gaz tank. For my
AWD fuel saver car(joke), it is very hard to reach 312.5 miles(500 kilometers) even if I drive drive gently. Between 265 and 300 miles for me for a gaz tank like that, it is a big disappointment (and this car have no acceleration). Can
anyone can tell me if Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu, Sonata and other cars are disappointing as much as the Kizashi AWD. My mileage is about half highway(57-65MPH cruising speed) and city(accelerating slowly).

Thank you
Is it really a Kizashi you have. My car is pretty awful on petrol, but I knew that when I got it. However the acceleration brilliant. 0-60 in 8 seconds, and the mid range is fantastic. No, it's not an M3, but it is one third of the cost.
The Kizashi isn't great on fuel economy, but all the cars that hitorx listed don't offer AWD. They are all FWD only. AWD will always sap some fuel economy because of the friction of the additional powertrain components. Also, the Kizashi is on older engine technology while most rivals have newer tech like Direct Injection.

That being said, don't fall for the MPG fallacy in monetary savings. It's unwise to abandon a car you own or nearly own just to get 5 MPG better and get right back into payments with interest. You will likely have to own the car for a number of years to see any actual monetary savings. In essence, unless you are a hardcore environmentalist, you probably care about better fuel economy for the sake of saving money. Keep in mind that owning or paying less for a car is also saving money.

So yeah, most newer midsizes get better fuel economy than the Kizashi. However, if I was to get into one of them, I'd pay thousands more even if I got a used car.
Now entertain this scenario:

You ditch the Kizashi which (in my case) gets about 25 MPG in mixed driving for a car that gets 30 MPG in mixed driving. 5 MPG better. Sounds great.
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 25 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $2250 if you drive 15,000 miles a year (US average).
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 30 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $1875 if you drive 15,000 miles a year.
The savings is a measly $375 a year in fuel costs. You think this would really offset the additional costs of getting the newer car (which unlikely has the awesome benefit of AWD)?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Now entertain this scenario:

You ditch the Kizashi which (in my case) gets about 25 MPG in mixed driving for a car that gets 30 MPG in mixed driving. 5 MPG better. Sounds great.
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 25 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $2250 if you drive 15,000 miles a year (US average).
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 30 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $1875 if you drive 15,000 miles a year.
The savings is a measly $375 a year in fuel costs. You think this would really offset the additional costs of getting the newer car (which unlikely has the awesome benefit of AWD)?
I love how numbers never lie. 8-)

It's why I laughed when people driving SUVs bought tiny cars for the gas mileage alone, not thinking of how the car didn't fit their family. Here's how the numbers fell into place:
You ditch the SUV which gets about 20 MPG in mixed driving for a car that gets 30 MPG in mixed driving. 10 MPG better. Sounds great.
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 20 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $2812 if you drive 15,000 miles a year (US average).
The savings is a measly $1000 a year in fuel costs. That's not even $100/mo folks. Oh, and each time you had to rent an SUV or minivan for a trip, you just ate that $100 and thensome. :lol:

Real winner? Car dealerships.
paininthenuts

hitorx wrote:Hello, I was wondering mileage people are doing with a full gaz tank. For my
AWD fuel saver car(joke), it is very hard to reach 312.5 miles(500 kilometers) even if I drive drive gently. Between 265 and 300 miles for me for a gaz tank like that, it is a big disappointment (and this car have no acceleration). Can
anyone can tell me if Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu, Sonata and other cars are disappointing as much as the Kizashi AWD. My mileage is about half highway(57-65MPH cruising speed) and city(accelerating slowly).

Thank you
On two fronts, there is something wrong with your car. On a run mine will do 38mpg at 70mph, albeit around town it isn't great. As far as your acceleration is concerned, I can only presume you are using the paddles and not changing up. The Kizi cvt accelerates from 0-60 in about 8 secs, and the manual about 7. Mine can leave the average BMW or Merc for dust. Mid range acceleration is exhilarating.
~tc~

SamirD wrote:
It's why I laughed when people driving SUVs bought tiny cars for the gas mileage alone, not thinking of how the car didn't fit their family. Here's how the numbers fell into place:
You ditch the SUV which gets about 20 MPG in mixed driving for a car that gets 30 MPG in mixed driving. 10 MPG better. Sounds great.
At $3.75 a gallon, with an average of 20 MPG, the estimated annual fuel cost is $2812 if you drive 15,000 miles a year (US average).
The savings is a measly $1000 a year in fuel costs. That's not even $100/mo folks. Oh, and each time you had to rent an SUV or minivan for a trip, you just ate that $100 and thensome. :lol:

Real winner? Car dealerships.
Sorry, to me $1000 (and likely more because most full size SUVs aren't even making 20 in real driving) is real money. Now, if it wen from being paid off to now having a car payment, then you're right. BUT if you gave up an SUV payment (likely high) for a car payment and the associated insurance difference, then you probably come out ahead.

paininthenuts wrote:

Thank you
On two fronts, there is something wrong with your car. On a run mine will do 38mpg at 70mph, albeit around town it isn't great. As far as your acceleration is concerned, I can only presume you are using the paddles and not changing up. The Kizi cvt accelerates from 0-60 in about 8 secs, and the manual about 7. Mine can leave the average BMW or Merc for dust. Mid range acceleration is exhilarating.
312 miles is short, but not too far off. You should check your tire pressure and make sure you are at the door sticker or even a touch higher.

I have never seen 30+ on a tank, even on a "pure" highway trip. Paininthenuts must have a particularly "good" copy.

I agree about the mid-range acceleration. The Kizashi is one of the most fun 40-70 acceleration cars I've been in
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
paininthenuts

On two fronts, there is something wrong with your car. On a run mine will do 38mpg at 70mph, albeit around town it isn't great. As far as your acceleration is concerned, I can only presume you are using the paddles and not changing up. The Kizi cvt accelerates from 0-60 in about 8 secs, and the manual about 7. Mine can leave the average BMW or Merc for dust. Mid range acceleration is exhilarating.[/quote]

312 miles is short, but not too far off. You should check your tire pressure and make sure you are at the door sticker or even a touch higher.

I have never seen 30+ on a tank, even on a "pure" highway trip. Paininthenuts must have a particularly "good" copy.

I agree about the mid-range acceleration. The Kizashi is one of the most fun 40-70 acceleration cars I've been in[/quote]

I have achieved good motorway mpg twice. The first time was driving back from Wales, where I purchased the car. The journey was 120 miles, and set the cruise control at 70mph. The second from where I live to Nottingham (100 miles) and again I set the cruise control at 70 mph. In actual fact, the computer gave me a better mpg at 70 than 60. On the odd occasion during these journeys I had a bit of fun and accelerated with great gusto up to 100 mph. Without this bit of recklessness I may have got 40 mpg. I should repeat however, around town it really isn't very good. What makes up for it's poor economy is it's looks I get from other drivers wondering what it is I am driving.
Sluggo

If Kizashis really got 30 mpg at 70 mph and 30 mpg at 100 mph as
reported on this site.....Suzuki would still be selling them!!

~tc~ wrote:Sorry, to me $1000 (and likely more because most full size SUVs aren't even making 20 in real driving) is real money. Now, if it wen from being paid off to now having a car payment, then you're right. BUT if you gave up an SUV payment (likely high) for a car payment and the associated insurance difference, then you probably come out ahead.

I agree about the mid-range acceleration. The Kizashi is one of the most fun 40-70 acceleration cars I've been in
I agree that $1000 is not paltry by any means, but it's not the 2-3x times that it's made out to be. Plus, you have to factor in the inconvenience of going from a large suv to a tiny economy car--there will be some collateral damage costs along the way. But good point about the insurance--I missed that. :oops:

I think I've maybe touched 30mpg once on a round trip from MKE to HSV, but this was on the winter tires which will have a lot of losses due to flex and soft sidewalls.

I haven't tried the 40-70 acceleration. Sounds like I need too. :D Do you just floor it and let the CVT do its thing?
SamirD

Sluggo wrote:If Kizashis really got 30 mpg at 70 mph and 30 mpg at 100 mph as
reported on this site.....Suzuki would still be selling them!!
I think that was only one factor--they were still expensive for their size. Most other cars with similar interior room were much cheaper.
Sluggo

I don't feel most people would spend the money for the Kizashi.
People thought of Suzuki as a cheap car and just wouldn't spend
30 grand for one. I think your right, too small and to expensive in peoples minds.

Sluggo wrote:I don't feel most people would spend the money for the Kizashi.
People thought of Suzuki as a cheap car and just wouldn't spend
30 grand for one. I think your right, too small and to expensive in peoples minds.
Exactly, especially when a land yacht sized Accord or Altima was in the same price range with similar features.