pulley installed

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
rocket_man

i dont have a impact wrench and the harmonic balancer pulley just laughed at me when I tried to remove it. So after stopping in a small independent shop, pulley was installed in 15 minutes for $50. you dont need a pulley puller to get the original off, it just came right off.

firestone, good year, christian brothers would not touch it, they said they only do warranty work. Pep Boys wanted $150.00 to do it, which I wasnt going to pay.

SO how does it run????? Well with my muffler work done, K&N filter, RRM strut
brace, and now the pulley it runs great. The power really comes on strong and revs freely. I have not taken it over 5k, it only has 1800 miles on it so I am still babying it.

I really cant recomend one of the mods over another, each add performance in their own way. Just do all 4, you will like it.
Mods: Cat Back, Under Drive Pulley, Strut Tower brace, K&N Filter, Sony Xplode 6 1/2 4 way speakers in rear, blacked out S in front grill, American Racing Alloys.
OzzieKizzy

How's it going Rocket_man? Does it improve the power in the lower revs? I havent done any mods to mine, but it definitely struggles in the lower rev range, until I hit around 4000rpm.
2011 XLS
Tinted
De-Badged
Kenwood Satnav
rocket_man

I would say it revs quicker across the entire RPM range. I have a manual trans
so I have no clue how an auto trans would react to the pulley.

I really dont know what the "lag" is you auto trans guys have. does the engine not windup when you hig the gas ??? does the Engine bog when you hit the gas? Is the engine winding up but the transmission just doesnt go?

IF when you hit the gas off the line and the engine doesnt instantly rev up and bogs (stumbles) then the engine is too lean. Doing anything to the exhaust, K&N filter will just make this worse.

IF the engine instantly starts reving but revs slowly and the car accelerates
slowly then thats just the setup of your engine / trans combo, sounds like a really tall first gear. In this case a pulley would help you.
Mods: Cat Back, Under Drive Pulley, Strut Tower brace, K&N Filter, Sony Xplode 6 1/2 4 way speakers in rear, blacked out S in front grill, American Racing Alloys.
EnfinityX

i know what the lag is, its from the transmission. In auto mode it shifts to 6th gear by the time ur at 40-50 KM/H. thats ridiculously low, so when you punch it, the trans takes a second to realize u want power while dumping fuel into the engine, so u end up wasting a lot of fuel and going nowhere.

thats also whats probably causing our some of our woeful mpg scores. Its cuz people are trying to punch it at 40 km/h.

All you auto guys out there try it out, cruise at 40km/h then suddenly bury the pedal like ur trying to pass someone. Wont go anywhere, however if you try the same at 100-110 km/h the car pulls hard
Kodatech

Just saw your thread here. Glad to hear you got it installed ok. :)
gaww

EnfinityX wrote:i know what the lag is, its from the transmission. In auto mode it shifts to 6th gear by the time ur at 40-50 KM/H. thats ridiculously low, so when you punch it, the trans takes a second to realize u want power while dumping fuel into the engine, so u end up wasting a lot of fuel and going nowhere.

thats also whats probably causing our some of our woeful mpg scores. Its cuz people are trying to punch it at 40 km/h.

All you auto guys out there try it out, cruise at 40km/h then suddenly bury the pedal like ur trying to pass someone. Wont go anywhere, however if you try the same at 100-110 km/h the car pulls hard
When in "D" in the auto rean, it should rev to about 5500 (which is the max HP and available Torque point) and stay there. Thai is how CVT works. If you are in manual shift mode, you can bog down at low RPM and over-rev at the high end - sine it will not shift for you.

The problem with the lag is that this does not happen until you are up to around 30 (it finally starts to pull OK at 15-20, but is a real slug below there). I have tried starting in 1st step (not really a gear) and does not get off the line any better.

The manual does not have this issue - all up to the driver.
rocket_man

yep, my leaned on manual trans Kizashi is fast for real & gets 32.5 mpg when light on the accelerator. I have driven manuals my entire life and wouldnt buy a car without one.
Dont forget the manual trans gets 5 more hp.
willkizashi

There is a definate "lag" in the CVT. I have also always driven manuals but got the CVT so that my wife could also drive it. The trick is to figure out the functions of the CVT and understand why the computer does what it does when you rapidly change power needs. I was originally discouraged with the way my GTS performed until I started driving it a alot. Now that I can anticipate what the CVT will do, it is only a matter of prediction and planning. I haven't had trouble passing BMW's and Mercs both in town and on the highway. Point being, if you have a CVT, get used to how it acts and work with it not against it. Remember, its not a typical automatic, don't try to drive it like one.
2010 Kizashi GTS / 2005 XL-7 / 1969 Chevelle / 1981 Honda Cafe Racer.