Loud noise when braking/lower RPM.

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Dthrill_08

I have a 12 Kizashi SE. I love the car so far. I don't have many complains except for the doors not auto locking, when you press the keyless entry it does not unlock the passengers either. One thing that bothers me so much is when you're braking in a red light I hear this road noise. Maybe its the wind from tires or something. Could be the CVT when lowering gears. My gf drives a 12 Passat and I drove it and it does make those noises but significantly less. I really hate the CVT.
~tc~

1. Press unlock twice to unlock all doors. Either from the fob or the button on the door. I practically never remove the fob from my pocket any more.

2. Not sure what you mean by the noise. If the car is brand new, it might be the brakes seating in. Mine doesn't make any unusual noises when stopping.

3. The CVT gets a lot better after 5000 miles. There is also a period where you need to get used to it, well, being a CVT. It's not bad, just different and you need to get used to it or move on to another car.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

~tc~ is right about the door locks. You need to press twice to unlock all doors whether it's from the remote or door button. It's this way with just about any car. It's a safety implementation. When you're alone, why would you want to unlock all the doors?

Also, the CVT has no gears. It's basically a metal belt on two pulleys that continuously change ratio. Given you say that the noise is present when you brake, I'm thinking it's a brake issue, not a transmission one. This is especially true if a similar noise is made from the Passat but at a lesser degree as the Passat does not have a CVT. I'm thinking the brakes or the tires.

What's the mileage on the car? Can you see how much brake pad life is left? How about tire condition?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Dthrill_08

Thanks for the replies. Yes I figured out the unlock out of curiosity. The noise I am talking about it seems like it's just road noise. It's just a little louder than my previous car and my GF's Passat.
SamirD

Does the road noise come more from the front or the back? Is it worse when turning?
Dthrill_08

After carefully listening to it , it comes from like the middle or so. It is tough to point exactly the location. I just think it's road noise. Other cars have it but I hear the kizashi slightly louder. The brakes, brake perfectly fine.
SamirD

This could be the cvt. Have you tried starting at the top of a hill and rolling down the hill in neutral? This way the drivetrain isn't engaged and may help isolate the problem.
smsmart

Dthrill_08 wrote:After carefully listening to it , it comes from like the middle or so. It is tough to point exactly the location. I just think it's road noise. Other cars have it but I hear the kizashi slightly louder. The brakes, brake perfectly fine.
Can you describe the noise? You'll have to be more specific than just "road noise", because that can sound like a variety of different things. Does it make a whining noise?

Btw, this should be posted in the Technical Support section, not Performance.
Dthrill_08

There is no whining noise