MOVED: Kizashi acceleration - interesting note

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Hawkzilla

I'm just about to hit 3500 miles on my Kiazshi, and am still a VERY happy owner, however the one thing that has always bothered me was the initial acceleration. Something that I have started to notice though, is that when I am at pole position at a red light, while I might not be in the lead for the first 2 seconds, I always end up WAY ahead of the pack at about 6 seconds. I guess I just finally accepted that my car will never "peel out", but do I really need it to when I end up so far ahead of everyone without even dropping the hammer down?

I am finally content with what I have as far as acceleration is concerned. I will put my ride up against any 4-banger out there that isn't turbo charged, and it's actually faster than my former V6 Cougar so it's an upgrade all around! 8-)
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
SX4toKizashi

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt5.htm Scroll down a bit and watch the animation.
Hawkzilla

Thanks for the link... now I know why I don't lose power on the many hills I have in my city. I'll take the loss in the first 2 seconds off the line for the increase after. Tasters choice, really.
SX4toKizashi

It's the gradual and constant acceleration that makes the CVT feel slower.
Hawkzilla

I disagree with that. From that article and what I have read, the torque is purposely toned down on the CVT in the kizashi, so to take pressure of the CVT. This explains why the first couple seconds, there just isn't much punch. For me, it's not a matter of "feeling it", it's a matter of if it's there or not. After the first couple seconds, I totally feel like this is a FAST car. On the way back to work just now, I took a corner doing 35 mph with ease, then dropped the hammer for the short straight stretch before hitting the on ramp curve while still accelerating. Before the curve was over, I was doing 60 mph with the Kiz gripping tight and still accelerating strong. I was doing 80 half way through the on-ramp. I had LL Cool J's "Mama said knock you out" cranked up to 25 on my Rockford Fosgate system, bass thumping.

I have xero problems with how this car handles or performs. :ugeek:
lookin

this is how i always felt about the car hawk spot on....im not into peeling off so it was nothing to me but the car really gets going so i couldnt understand the problem people were saying about the acceleration i been came to terms with it so now i think i have a better understanding people wanted to peel off which i happen to think is unnecessary but kizashi can move, smoothly too....and its good news you can enjoy your car and be content...be safe out there
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:I disagree with that. From that article and what I have read, the torque is purposely toned down on the CVT in the kizashi, so to take pressure of the CVT. This explains why the first couple seconds, there just isn't much punch. For me, it's not a matter of "feeling it", it's a matter of if it's there or not. After the first couple seconds, I totally feel like this is a FAST car. On the way back to work just now, I took a corner doing 35 mph with ease, then dropped the hammer for the short straight stretch before hitting the on ramp curve while still accelerating. Before the curve was over, I was doing 60 mph with the Kiz gripping tight and still accelerating strong. I was doing 80 half way through the on-ramp. I had LL Cool J's "Mama said knock you out" cranked up to 25 on my Rockford Fosgate system, bass thumping.

I have zero problems with how this car handles or performs. :ugeek:
You better not be doing that in Brooklyn, or lookin will be looking for you!

I had to sneak though there a month ago for the same reason (haha). He may have gotten me though, as I DID manage to pick up a red light camera violation (I never run red lights!) - on Flatbush Avenue no less!!! I think he saw me coming and manually triggered the camera!
lookin

you know it was me flatbush av is my beat too gotcha whos next i gotta start doing interstates nyc style haha i got a lot more tickets
gaww

lookin wrote:you know it was me flatbush av is my beat too gotcha whos next i gotta start doing interstates nyc style haha i got a lot more tickets

Guess you did.

Oh well, next time up there - you buy the first beer. I will be easy to spot - Silver Kizashi with the "Bad cop - no Donut" bumper sticker with NC plates.

And what is wrong with donuts and beer - did you ever watch Strange Brew (now I got all the Canadian forum members mad at me also)?
jimmerz

Do you think turning off the traction control will get the tires spinning? Not that I personally care, but just wondering...
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!