Revs spike during gearshift

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
sj85

Hey folks,
Just got my Kizashi GTS 6 MT few weeks ago. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 weeks with it, have put about 2000 miles and am absolutely satisfied with it. However I have some questions and pardon me if this has already been discussed in earlier posts. During my normal gear shift, when ever i engage the clutch, revs always seem to jump by about 100rpm before it actually comes down. Everytime i engage the clutch I get a feeling that I have not let go of gas.
Just for record, I have driven stick my whole life (minus 2 years when i was stuck with autobox). So it feels strange to see that rev spike (be it the slightest) before it actually comes down as u would expect.

Thanks for any reply.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport MT :-D
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 6 MT :-D
2002 Hyundai Sonata Auto :-)
2008 Suzuki Swift Zxi (in Asia) :-D
2002 Suzuki Zen Vxi (in Asia) :-D
Ronzuki

Having driven a stick my entire life as well (until this CVT Kiz), I would say that you need to get to the dealer and demonsrtrate your concern to them. That would just be way too annoying for me. There may or may not be a way for them to monitor this through the OBDII port to actually 'see' what you're talking about real time. I believe these are throttle by wire vehicles (no actual mechanical connection between your foot and the combustion fuel/air system), so it could be something as simple as the pedal/sensor assembly is faulty. I haven't had the time to get through the entire service manual to see what make this car tick yet. It may also be an ECU parameter that the dealer may be able to tweak on the spot. More than likely, they'll need to get Suzuki involved as this is a very new model and issues are going to start to pop up. My guess is that it may not be resolved immediately, but, with your persistence they should get it sorted out for you. That said, I suppose the reality of that greatly depends on the service dept. you work with.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Blackbelt

My SX4 does the same thing.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
Ronzuki

Interesting.

'BlackBelt' and 'sj85'....is this something your vehicles have always demonstrated since new, or, recent occurences?
Ron

sj85

I bought mine used from Dealer here in MD. Its a factory demo and had 7000 Miles on it. As far as I remember, its been like that, just annoys the heck out of me.

I will be talking it for service in about a month, I will make sure to talk to the service guys there to see if they can find anything about it. I might also test drive a MT Kizashi in their lot to see if those exhibit the same problem (or property) as mine.

Will keep you posted.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport MT :-D
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 6 MT :-D
2002 Hyundai Sonata Auto :-)
2008 Suzuki Swift Zxi (in Asia) :-D
2002 Suzuki Zen Vxi (in Asia) :-D
Blackbelt

Mine has always done it. I bought it new Novemeber 2009. It is very slight, and i adjust my driving technique to compensate. I find if i get off the throttle a half second sooner when pushing the clutch pedal in, that seems to mitigate it.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
Ronzuki

OK then...appears to be inherent to the MT setup. I would hope they'd be able to tweak that somehow. But the bigger problem may be their willingness to do so since it's not technically abnormal (unless you complain enough about it).

Good luck and please do keep us posted on your progress.
Ron

flipside

My sister's SX4 does the same thing since new. Must be the drive by wire system is slow to react. Engaging the clutch causes the tranny and engine to disengage removing load on the engine causing a spike as the computer is slow to react when the throttle (gas pedal) is released. Sounds like it eases the throttle input causing the slight spike when the clutch is depressed.
2014 MB GLK350 4Matic - Hers - replaced 2009 SX4 JX
2011 BMW 328i Xdrive - Repaced Kizashi
2012 Grand Vitara JX - Sis - replaced 2009 SX4 Sedan MT
2011 Kizashi Silver - Mine (RIP) will be missed
Fishobaby

sj85 wrote:Hey folks,
Just got my Kizashi GTS 6 MT few weeks ago. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 weeks with it, have put about 2000 miles and am absolutely satisfied with it. However I have some questions and pardon me if this has already been discussed in earlier posts. During my normal gear shift, when ever i engage the clutch, revs always seem to jump by about 100rpm before it actually comes down. Everytime i engage the clutch I get a feeling that I have not let go of gas.
Just for record, I have driven stick my whole life (minus 2 years when i was stuck with autobox). So it feels strange to see that rev spike (be it the slightest) before it actually comes down as u would expect.

Thanks for any reply.
That would drive me nuts, too! Ugh, and I certainly don't want that CVT.

If I had one here, I'd put a scope on that throttle wire– thinking the solution could be as simple as a pull-up or (pull-down) resistor on the line– or not...
EnfinityX

i think its like man of the other manufacturers out there. they keep the revs up for a few seconds due to emissions or something. so sorta like instead of dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust they clean it up sorta thing for half a second. buncha eco stuff