Weird buzzing sound coming from underneath/rear when car off

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
NiteRider

So last night, I headed out to the garage. Just then I heard a small buzzing or humming sound. It seamed to be coming from underneath the car towards the rear. The weird part is the Kizzy was parked for about 5 hours when it started. Kept trying to diagnose the problem but to no avail. This continued for another 15 mins. I decided I needed to start the car. I went and grabbed my key. But just when I got close enough to the car with the FOB in my hand, the buzzing stopped. Coincidence? I don't know.

Anyone else ever had this happen? It's bugging me to no end.
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
NorthCruiser

Experienced the same thing on two occasions, both times the buzzing lasted more than 5 minutes - hours after the car had been driven. It was coming from the fuel pump box underneath, but I'm not sure why it was coming on or why it was that loud (not really loud, but certainly noticeable). I had my fob with me and it didn't have any effect on the sound.
eatrocks

thought i read somewhere that it was a random emissions test
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
Cate

This is normal! One night I was reading through my owner's manual and it mentions this, but I had never heard it run. Then one night I went into the garage and heard a funny noise coming from the rear of my Kizashi. Then it hit me that it must be "doing it's thing". It was about 5 hours after I had last driven it. Had I not have already read about this, I probably would have freaked out and woke my husband up to come see what was wrong.

Ok, since my manual is close by, I'll type it up for you. It's located on the second page, before you even get to the table of contents, if you want to have a look yourself:

LEAK DETECTION PUMP

Your vehicle has a pump to regularly check the vehicle's evaporative emission control system for leaks. This check is performed approximately 5 hours after the engine is turned off. During this leak check, you may hear a sound coming from the vehicle for several minutes. This sound is normal and does not indicate a malfunction.
2011 SLS Sport Manual
NiteRider

Thanks Cate. I'm glad someone read the manual. :D
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
moojin

I just heard it the humming/buzzing sound coming from the driver-side rear tire.

It does sound like an almost-silent, air compressor.

Good thing somebody RTFM!

Thank you.
Woodie

Spider test
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency