Snow Tires are in the garage

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
ThunderSky

It may be a little early, but I like to plan ahead.
So, last week I went to Costco and got 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s installed and balanced on 16" steel wheels. I must have been one of the 1st as they had just received the shipment of steel wheels on Monday and the pallet was not opened yet. Total package was about 800.00 and now I don't have to worry about it later.

By law in Quebec we have to have winter tires installed from mid Dec to mid April, so once we hit late November I'll be dragging out the floor jack and air wrench to flip them over to the Snows. Takes about 20 minutes each.
Can't wait to see what this car is like in the snow...... I'm expecting good things. :mrgreen:
2011 Kizashi SX - AWD
2008 Honda Civic
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
2001 Mazda Protege
Moto
Site Admin

wow... That actually seems like a good law to have. Expensive, but it probably reduces accidents.
ThunderSky

Yes , I forget the exact numbers but it was something like 60-70% of accidents were cars without winter tires.

The problem is for people that are a little pressed for cash. You either see them going without and hoping they don't get caught, or you see them driving on snow tires all summer.
2011 Kizashi SX - AWD
2008 Honda Civic
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
2001 Mazda Protege
gaww

ThunderSky wrote:It may be a little early, but I like to plan ahead.
So, last week I went to Costco and got 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s installed and balanced on 16" steel wheels. I must have been one of the 1st as they had just received the shipment of steel wheels on Monday and the pallet was not opened yet. Total package was about 800.00 and now I don't have to worry about it later.

By law in Quebec we have to have winter tires installed from mid Dec to mid April, so once we hit late November I'll be dragging out the floor jack and air wrench to flip them over to the Snows. Takes about 20 minutes each.
Can't wait to see what this car is like in the snow...... I'm expecting good things. :mrgreen:
I am assuming "snow tires" up there mean just that - not just M&S rated like down here in many states like California. The stock tires on the 18" wheels were M&S, but not real good ones (user ratings on that tire indicate 80% would not purchase again). I replaced with a higher rated overall tire (especially in winter conditions), and there was a significant improvement in the snow. But they would not be considered snow tires

You will do pretty good up there driving in the winter with the AWD (no hills except Mt Royal to contend with) probably with any tire, but snow depth will be a problem with the Kizashi ground clearance.
ThunderSky

gaww wrote: I am assuming "snow tires" up there mean just that - not just M&S rated like down here in many states like California. The stock tires on the 18" wheels were M&S, but not real good ones (user ratings on that tire indicate 80% would not purchase again). I replaced with a higher rated overall tire (especially in winter conditions), and there was a significant improvement in the snow. But they would not be considered snow tires

You will do pretty good up there driving in the winter with the AWD (no hills except Mt Royal to contend with) probably with any tire, but snow depth will be a problem with the Kizashi ground clearance.
Exactly right , M&S won't cut it here. Tires must have the winter "snowflake" symbol on the sidewall to qualfy as legal winter tires. The Blizzak's have a quite aggressive tread pattern, should eat thru the snow fairly well.
2011 Kizashi SX - AWD
2008 Honda Civic
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
2001 Mazda Protege
flipside

that is a good price for blizzaks with rims. I am contemplating on getting Conti's ExtremeWinterContact 215/55-17. Try to get caps on the steelies. Last year, when I remove my sisters snow tires on steelies, I had to wire brush around the hub to remove the rust as the oem alloys were fitting tight. Mind you, the steeelies were from an Accord which has a larger center bore. I wil probably grease the hub this season when I put on her snow tires.
2014 MB GLK350 4Matic - Hers - replaced 2009 SX4 JX
2011 BMW 328i Xdrive - Repaced Kizashi
2012 Grand Vitara JX - Sis - replaced 2009 SX4 Sedan MT
2011 Kizashi Silver - Mine (RIP) will be missed
gaww

I got those tires on my 18" wheels. They are good all year tires, and much higher rated all around then the stock tires. You could put them on and leave them on, as they are supposed to have a high mileage rating also.
JDReichert

Question: Did you guys install new TPMS sensors or reuse the ones that came with the car. If you did not install TPMS in the new wheels, what is the results?

Jerry 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW 633CSi
ThunderSky

JDReichert wrote:Question: Did you guys install new TPMS sensors or reuse the ones that came with the car. If you did not install TPMS in the new wheels, what is the results?

Jerry 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW 633CSi
Hi Jerry

I didn't have to worry about that ,
No TPMS in Canada yet (not mandatory)
2011 Kizashi SX - AWD
2008 Honda Civic
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
2001 Mazda Protege
JDReichert

Well, we got our first snow last night. About 1/2 inch of ice with 3 inches of snow on top. Tried the car today to go to breakfast. In AWD in very hilly country, every thing worked as stated. The trackson was excellent. Use manual for both starting and stopping. :D :D

Jerry - 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL (in winter storage) 1983 BMW633CSi (in winter storage)