TPMS

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
sabkosalam

I don't know if anyone has had this problem. If I leave the car parked for a week, it'll show the TPMS malfunction light in the dash. I'll then have to take some air out of the tires and then put some air in again and the warning goes away? I don't know what to do with this problem. I'm sure the dealer will say there is nothing wrong.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Manual GTS Sport-Metallic Silver
sabkosalam

So the tire shop guy discovered a nail. Fixed the flat. Problem solved.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Manual GTS Sport-Metallic Silver
yellowevo82

yeah a slow leak will do this, im having the same issue over n over again cause i hit a curb with my one rim.. many shops have a new system to program universal tpms sensors if your exsisting tpms sensors fails. Make sure to ask your local shop if they have this before spending the obscene amount it is for new sensors..
KIZAWDinKC

Months ago, I had a very slow leak. I was sure it was a valve stem or TPMS, because it was the wheel I hit a curb with prior. Turned out it was actually a nail/screw in tire. Problem solved.

Months later, I developed a slow leak in another tire. I have a Firestone near my house which deals with tire repair and TPMS, plus I needed an oil change anyhow. I thought to just run it up there, even though I hate Firestone and I always get the feeling that I'm getting ripped off with that place. I was expecting for them to tell me it was a nail/screw in my tire. But no, this time it was the TPMS gasket (I think). So they supposedly got a kit and replaced it.

I got home, and hours later, I jumped in my car to go somewhere, and my TPMS light went on. It was the tire that Firestone was supposed to fixed. I filled it with air and I could hear air leaking from around the valve stem/TPMS. So I ran the damn thing back up to Firestone to tell them that it was leaking worse than before. The guy just gave me a refund of $30 and told me that I probably just needed a brand new TPMS ($$) instead of the kit. He said that I might as well just go to the dealer. Basically, with each question I asked, I was getting the hint that Firestone just didn't want to mess with it.

So, when I got home, my tire was < 20psi already. I refilled with air and planned on taking it to the Suzuki dealership tomorrow. Anyhow, I was looking at the valve stem/TPMS and could still hear air coming from it. I have never messed with tires or TPMS, so I don't know much bout them. I had this urge to take a socket wrench and tighten the nut on the valve stem/TPMSS. I grabbed a 12mm socket, and tightened the nut 1/4 turn rather easily.

Tire stopped leaking air after tightening the nut on the valve with a 12mm.

I had the nerve to run up to Firestone to tell those idiots how stupid they are. But at least I got my $30 back and a new kit for the TPMS. Long store short, if you got a TPMS leak, sometimes tightening the nut on the valve might do the trick. It did in my case. But this is one of the reasons why I just absolutey hate taking my car into shops, even for oil changes. Either they try to sell you some other repair you don't need, or they screw something up, or they fail in diagnosing a simple problem that i end up fixing on my own. Here we are, 12 years into the new millineum, and one would think that a place like Firestone that SPECIALIZES in tires and TPMS, could fix absolutely any model car including Suzuki when it comes to TPMS issues. One would think, that they would want to provide 'better than dealership' type of service when it comes to TPMS & tires. I can expect an answer like that from a gas station or a mom/pop type of repair shop, but for Firstone to say, "Sorry, we're just simply too unreliable and stupid to be able to replace a Kizashi TPMS for you. It's too hard for us" is pathetic.
PA-Mark

I am new here, looking for info on why my 2 week old Kazashi is telling me I have low tire pressure. Of course I checked all 4 tires and topped them off to 32 pounds of pressure and still have the warning. Looks like I may need more, like 40 pounds, but I wonder why it's still on with 32 pounds. Is it possible it's the spare tire ? of course I just filled the trunk with my tools today and will need to unload everything to check.
I love the car and just hope all the gadgets are not a constant source of problems.
nytq

Not sure what tire size you have, but my 2011 SE with the 235/45-18 Dunlops require 39psi (cold) according to the door sill info.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KIZAWDinKC

I've got a GTS with 18'' wheels. I fill my tires to about 38psi. If they fall enough below 35psi, the TPMS warning will go off.

Oh, a follow-up on my Firestone TPMS experience. I went ahead and just took my Kizashi up to the Suzuki dealer and it was under warranty. They replaced the leaky valve. Firestone couldn't fix the leaky valve with a new TPMS kit, and although tightening the nut with a 12mm socket on my own dramatically stopped the leaking, I could tell it was still very slowly losing air. I wish Firestone just would have told me that the TPMS I had would have been covered under warranty. It didn't dawn on me that it would be until later on. But I originally went to Firestone because I thought I had a nail in my tire and assumed an easy fix.

All I have to say is that the TPMS sensors are just yet another mechanism put in the wheel that can cause a flat. Then it's $200 to replace one that fails if it's not under warranty. TPMS sensors originally should have been designed to just fit onto the stem as caps with micro-electronics built into the cap that would transmit to the computer for the TPMS warning. And the driver should have the option of turning the warning off permantently if they like. If a TPMS on a vehicle today goes bad, you're screwed. Either you end up with flat tire, or you have a TPMS warning flash in front of you until you take time off of work and fork over $$ to get the damn thing fixed. I hate TPMS.
PA-Mark

You guys are correct about the pressure, It should be 38 pounds as it says on the door tag. Now I know. What happen was our first cold snap in PA and all four tires went down in pressure due to the temp change. Dealer said warning will go off when a tire goes 4 pounds under of over the rated 38#. No it doesn't monitor the spare. So all is still good with my new car. I do wish it told you what tire, and had the ability to disable it. Maybe someone can come up with a dummy TPM signal that will fake the sensors out.
~tc~

The off road guys mount all 4 of them in a wheelbarrow tire and throw it in the back.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic